Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   2005 Expedition, DVD-Player and Satellite Radio (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/513028-2005-expedition-dvd-player-and-satellite-radio.html)

kkester 07-28-2006 05:52 AM

2005 Expedition, DVD-Player and Satellite Radio

According to the manual, the stock audio system in my 2005 EB Expedition can be upgraded to allow for satellite radio as well. Will it still work if I have the factory-installed DVD player as well?

Kent Kester

TNTRower 07-28-2006 06:38 AM

Satellite Radio and DVD players

The simplest way to find out is looking at the rear of the head unit. If you head unit has an empty "Aux" input then your answer is yes. If it does not then depending upon the manufacturer of the Satellite radio you can install the hardwired FM Modulator. I use XM and installed it into my 2002 Expedition with the hard wired modulator. It runs on a selected Freq. (mine is 88.5) and it connects through the antenna jack on the back of the head unit. So all my wires are running from the Pro-Fit International mount (website http://www.pro-fit-intl.com) into the dash. Check out the Pro Fit site. They give great directions.

kkester 07-28-2006 07:29 AM

My plan, possibly naive and not the best-informed, was to get the Ford Sirius add-on. Based on how the stock audio systems are connected with the fctory DVD-player, is there any reason why the Ford Sirius unit won't work?

Kent Kester

WillDog 07-28-2006 07:43 AM

Like Tom Hanks said: HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM..........

OK, If you are wanting a behind-the-dash-can't-see-it installation of either sirius or XM, you're out of luck. The DVD player kills the ability of the factory radio to recognize (or for that matter, plug in) a satellite radio. The only option that you have is to get a roady2, Skyfi2 or similiar for XM, or whatever the comparable is for Sirius, and use it for a tuner.

I have a 2005 EB with the rear-seat DVD, and that's what I had to do.

I think that it is INSANE that Ford would do things like this, but if you have the DVD player, you're cooked as far as a no-see-em install is concerned.

DON'T let your dealer tell you that they can install the Sirius behind the dash that tunes thru the factory radio, because they CAN'T do it. Not with the DVD player.

I know that ain't what you wanted to hear, but trust me..........I have talked to dozens of people at the Sirius and XM stores, and there just isn't a way to get a factory-looking install that tunes with the factory radio if the DVD player is there.

corvettej 08-05-2006 11:13 AM

satellite radio with dvd

When u purchase the sirus radio kit for your ford radio, there are two wire harness, one for ford oem dvd or without the dvd. I purchased the one without the factory dvd it was about $85.00 and my satellite work fine, no wires are seen. The artist and the info is on the radio display plus a satellite icon. It took me about 3-4 hours making sure that I had a neat installation.

IB Tim 08-05-2006 03:45 PM

...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards.:-X22 ….

apgarassoc 08-07-2006 10:45 PM

As long as your head unit has a SAT button, it can be done as a seemless install. The only problem is that when using dual mode (headsets get one feed and speakers get another), you can only run one "external" source. Since both the DVD and SAT are seen as "external" sources, you can't have the kids listening to a movie on their headsets while your listening to the Sirius on the speakers - it's one or the other. Which strikes me as kind of stupid - a long trip with the kids distracted by a movie is when you need the Sirius the most.

What the dealer will try to sell you is to connect it via an FM modulator - then you can listen to the Sirius in dual mode because it's actually coming in on the FM radio. The only problem is on long trips, you'll need to be changing the FM frequency every half hour. Some of the slicker FM modulator setups use the text FM sideband to display the Sirius channel info on the radio.

Let us know if it works out differently.

kkester 08-08-2006 06:59 AM

I've looked around a bit on the internet and seem to have found Ford Sirius kits that will work with the OEM DVD. Here's one example: http://www.westcoastradios.com/catal...77/1280494.htm

Does these work as described above?

Kent Kester

WillDog 08-08-2006 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by apgarassoc
.......The only problem is that when using dual mode (headsets get one feed and speakers get another), you can only run one "external" source. Since both the DVD and SAT are seen as "external" sources, you can't have the kids listening to a movie on their headsets while your listening to the Sirius on the speakers - it's one or the other. Which strikes me as kind of stupid - a long trip with the kids distracted by a movie is when you need the Sirius the most.

Like I said...............It isn't available YET in a configuration that is COMPLETE.

corvettej 08-08-2006 09:42 AM

That westcoast should work with your dvd because of the relay that they are including for the dvd player, my cable look just like that without the relay. My radio is 6 cd radio and I have the ford dvd but not the ford oem version and mines work just fine.

kkester 08-10-2006 11:40 AM

WIth respect to the installation, how does the antenna get installed? Does it get drilled through the roof?

Kent Kester

apgarassoc 08-10-2006 12:10 PM

CorvetteJ - How well does the SAT work?

I'd be real interested in whether your aftermarket SAT system can be used in Dual Play mode with the Ford OEM DVD system. Specifically, can you have the DVD system playing on the headphones and the SAT playing on the front speakers? I have the same Ford radio as you (6-CD player with Ford OEM DVD) and have been told that the Ford-installed SAT radio cannot be used in Dual Play mode with the DVD.

What year is your Expedition - and is your SAT hardwired into the radio (no FM modulator junk)?

Thanks!

corvettej 08-10-2006 09:06 PM

When we take a trip, I put on a movie for my grand daugther, she listen through the wireless headphone and we listen to the radio or cd. The antenna is mount on the roof (no hole in roof) by a magnet. The ford kit that I brought for the dvd came with instruction and pictures of how to install it. I purchase the sirrus kit for ford radio from Radio and More in VA with wire harness and they email me the installation instruction. So far my 03 expedition xlt has leather seats, remote starter, dvd player, sirrus sat radio and bluetooth for handfree all ford product. Hopefully I want to install the signal mirrors and the homelink before christmas if I can get it for a good price.

kkester 08-10-2006 09:30 PM

Do you have a web site for Radio and More?

Kent Kester

trex_47e 08-10-2006 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by kkester
I've looked around a bit on the internet and seem to have found Ford Sirius kits that will work with the OEM DVD. Here's one example: http://www.westcoastradios.com/catalog/item/1853077/1280494.htm

Does these work as described above?

Kent Kester

I purchased my kit from Radio and More. Very easy to install, no drilling. True you can't use the DVD player and the Sat, but I use my Ipod mostly. I am very happy with the Sirius kit. My 2 cents.

WillDog 08-10-2006 10:04 PM

By reading all of the posts above..............like I said guys, I've researched this thing forever and at length. There is NOT a Sirius or XM "behind-the-dash" available that allows the use of the factory DVD player & the satellite at the same time. Why have the satellite if you can't listen to it while the kids watch a movie? I will be the first in line to get one if they ever find a way to make it work.

apgarassoc 08-11-2006 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by corvettej
When we take a trip, I put on a movie for my grand daugther, she listen through the wireless headphone and we listen to the radio or cd.

CorvetteJ, when you say you can listen to the radio while she is listening to a DVD on the headphones, do you mean AM/FM radio or the SAT radio? I've always been told that it's not possible (SAT and DVD using Dual Play). If that does work with the aftermarket kit you bought, let me know where it came from because I'm buying one!

Thanks

corvettej 08-11-2006 10:09 PM

Well here is the info you requested

Radios And More Services 1-877-888-2225

Ford Sirius add on kit Made By:
Your Price: $225.00
NDA Shipping Charges: FREE!**
Part Number: 4068598
Category: Satellite Radio
Works With: 04 05 06 Ford satellite ready radios with DVD.
Mounting Style: N/A
Plug Style: Unknown
Color: Silver
Satellite-radio Ready? Yes
Notes: This kit works with vehicles with DVD Entertainment system, must also purchase additional harness 2U6F-14588-BA

Main Features for 4068598
Full vehicle warranty***
30-Day Money Back Guarantee!
Free NDA Shipping**!
Works with all 04 Ford CD6+ (Audiophile) or Lincoln Navigation radios
This kit works in vehicles without a DVD Entertainment system
A additional harness is needed 2U6F-14588-BA $50
Radio must have a SAT button
Comes with antenna, receiver, brackets & hardware
Optional Accessories
Phase II Long Harness
CD Changer Harness, Long Version

rexster314 08-12-2006 12:18 PM

Let me just tell you guys, I JUST GOT THROUGH installing the factory Sirius kit with factory installed DVD/RSE and it ALL WORKS. You MUST have the proper cable and MUX box that allows everything to work as they should. There are 2 separate cables that are supplied with the kits, one for NO DVD and the other with the factory DVD.

Rex

apgarassoc 08-12-2006 01:43 PM

Rexster - can you have the DVD playing on the headphones and the SAT playing on the speakers at the same time (dual play)? What year is your Expy and where did you get the Sirius kit?

Thanks!

WillDog 08-12-2006 02:22 PM

Rexster - can you have the DVD playing on the headphones and the SAT playing on the speakers at the same time (dual play)?
Thanks!

THAT'S the question that I have been waiting to get answered.

ALSO....does it tune the SAT channel thru the factory head, & show the SAT channel on the display?

IF the answer to BOTH these questions is YES..........

WE GOT A WINNER! :-headbang

Otherwise.......I'm still waiting for the proper wiring. :-banghead

rexster314 08-12-2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by WillDog
THAT'S the question that I have been waiting to get answered.

ALSO....does it tune the SAT channel thru the factory head, & show the SAT channel on the display?

IF the answer to BOTH these questions is YES..........

WE GOT A WINNER! :-headbang

Otherwise.......I'm still waiting for the proper wiring. :-banghead

I haven't tried both SAT and DVD at the same time, but both work, that was my main concern (we don't have kids, so back seat is usually vacant)
You CAN tune the Sirius channels through the factory head, and it shows the Sat Channel on the readout. Using the buttons on top of the unit allows you to scroll through the name of the song. It doesn't auto scroll through like an addon Sirius unit (I have one in my wife's car) but you can use the memory preset buttons just like your FM stations.

Rex

WillDog 08-12-2006 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by rexster314
I haven't tried both SAT and DVD at the same time, but both work...........
........You CAN tune the Sirius channels through the factory head, and it shows the Sat Channel on the readout. Rex

Well.......that's ONE out of TWO......

At least we have an option to get rid of the "extra" tuner.;)

paulconti21269 08-14-2006 04:26 PM

where did you mount the sirius box I put mine under the center consol. and mounted the antenna on the dash not on the roof. works great

Paul

apgarassoc 08-14-2006 04:43 PM

CorvetteJ, Thanks for the ordering info! Where you able to try and run the SAT and DVD at the same time in Dual-Play mode and did it work?

Thanks!

rexster314 08-14-2006 05:38 PM

Guys, running the Sat and DVD at same time is NOT possible, you will get an error message in the head unit. Everything else works, and works great, you can do sat and fm running dual mode and every other combination as far as I know will work, just not sat and dvd. it's an issue apparently Ford knows about. I have a call into Visteon to see if there's any fix for this problem. Myself, I don't really care, since I don't have any "little people" that might want to look and Mickey and Minnie, and adults don't want to do DVD's. I just wanted Sat/Sirius, and that's what I got; it would be nice if everything worked like it should, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
I did the install according to factory install sheet, antenna is mounted in center of rear of roof, almost out of sight for most people

Rex

apgarassoc 08-15-2006 03:39 PM

Reply from Radios and More

Well, I decided to e-mail the customer service department at Radios and More to ask them this exact question:

The stock radio in my 2004 Expedition has a "dual play" feature that allows you to have one audio source (like a DVD) playing on the wireless headphones and another audio source playing on the front speakers. However, I've been told that the radio is set up such that you can't have use the SAT radio and the DVD player together in "dual play" mode - something about the radio only being able to have one "external source" in dual play mode and that both the DVD player and SAT are seen as "external sources". This doesn't work for me as on long trips (with the kids watching a DVD using the headphones) I'd want to be listening to the SAT radio. Do you know if this is true (DVD and SAT can't be used together in Dual Play mode)? I love to add the SAT feature to the radio but don't want to drop the dough on it if it won't work the way I need it to.

The response I got back from them today was:

Not so part # 4068598 has a switching modulethat will allow both to work at the same time.

Maybe that is the reason for the DVD-specific SAT radio option that they sell - who knows. I'm not sure I'm anxious enough (i.e. $275) to try it without having someone else verify what the vendor is saying. Any opinions?

rexster314 08-15-2006 04:49 PM

I'm at work but I sent a query to Visteon yesterday, maker of the headunit AND satellite receiver this morning. They advised me that there is NO workaround for this problem. The only switch I know of allows the audio from the dvd to play through the radio once the satellite system is installed. Otherwise you won't have any sound from the DVD. That's what the special harness and black box is for that comes with install kits for factory DVD.

Rex

rexster314 08-15-2006 06:44 PM

Here's Visteon's response to my query:

Unfortunately - you are experiencing a "shared resource conflict". The
satellite radio and the DVD player "can not" operate at the same time. Presently, there is no work around.

1-800-Visteon
Customer Service - Aftermarket
evisteon@visteon.com

apgarassoc 08-15-2006 07:07 PM

Response to same quesry from Visteon Distributor

Below is the response to the same question when posed to another reseller:

The sat won't work with dual play. your information is correct.
Sam
S.P.L. ELECTRONIC
www.oem-auto-accessory.com
1-866-380-0529

I'm bummin'!

apgarassoc 08-15-2006 07:08 PM

If you switch to another more current head unit (2005 or 2006), will it work?

rexster314 08-16-2006 12:36 PM

If you switch to another more current head unit (2005 or 2006), will it work?

I have an 05 Expy EB

Rex

apgarassoc 08-16-2006 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info - when you bought your SAT unit, was what you bought specific to an audio system already equipped with a DVD?

rexster314 08-16-2006 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info - when you bought your SAT unit, was what you bought specific to an audio system already equipped with a DVD?

It's the factory kit that you would buy if you bought it from your Ford dealer for an Expedition, and yes, there are two separate kits; one for factory DVD and one without. One without is a no brainer, very simple install, the other one requires space to mount a separate black box to get the audio out of the DVD to the head unit. Usually about a 25-30$ difference in pricing

Rex

atl04expy 08-17-2006 08:04 AM

Satellite Antenna

Originally Posted by kkester
WIth respect to the installation, how does the antenna get installed? Does it get drilled through the roof?

Kent Kester

Kent - I had my Ford dealer install the Ford XM kit in my 04Expy with the factory CD6 head unit. They routed the wire around the windshield inside the rubber seal (I didn't know that there was enough space to do that). At the top center of the windshield, the magnetic antenna sits on the roof. Occassionally the carwash will move it slightly...this leaves small scratches in the paint. I don't know whay they didn't use adhesive. Anyway, it works very well.

rexster314 08-17-2006 09:01 AM

My antenna is mounted center point just above the third brake light. I opted to use the 3M tape supplied in the kit to make a mount that wouldn't move around and scratch the paint (somehow, when you temp mount it to the roof, the metal on metal sound grated on me). The small antenna wire is run under the door seal and moulding to the rear mounted receiver.

Rex

corvettej 08-17-2006 11:07 AM

Like I said before my sat radio and dvd can play at the same time. I tune the sat to 132(CNN news) and put in a dvd, make sure the infrared headsets are turned on. I enjoy the sat and my granddaugther enjoys her movies. Today I went outside and turn the sat on and got in the back seat with the wireless headset and could hear the movie plus when I raised one of the earcup up I could hear my sat play. It works!

apgarassoc 08-17-2006 11:30 AM

Much appreciated, CorvetteJ! Looking back through your posts, you indicated that your Expedition is a 2003 and the DVD you have installed was not factory installed but is a Ford OEM product. Was your DVD install basically as if it was installed at the factory - using the DVD input on the head unit? Also, can you confirm that you're not using an FM modulator for the DVD or SAT signal?

Thanks again for testing that out and letting us all know. Did you find the SAT install to be fairly easy or is it a struggle?

corvettej 08-17-2006 05:35 PM

The dvd is from Ford with Ford Logo on it, the part# 3L1Z-19G323-AA, it come with a FM Modulator, a remote, two wireless headset, the bracket, the necessary wire harness and the template with the instruction manual. Takes about 4 hours if you take your time, the remote turns the RF modulator on or off. You only need the RF modulator on if you want to pipe the sounds from the dvd through the audio system. The sirius kit comes with its own wire harness that plug into the back of the radio with two plugs(one large plug and one small plug) then the factory harness plug into it, there is no need for RF modulator, there is no splicing wires or anything. When you press the sat button it will go to Channel 184 (preview channel) then you call sirius to activate, smooth as a whistle. No engine noise or anything, no wires all over the place and the channel, artist, song title info is display on the HU using the "text" button, I hope this will clarify it a little.

paulconti21269 08-17-2006 09:39 PM

I put my antenna inside the car on the dash. I used 2 sided tape to hold it on. Works great.

Paul