Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   BTS Transmission (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/512689-bts-transmission.html)

kawika 07-26-2006 09:45 PM

BTS Transmission

For those of you that have installed a BTS transmission, how did you contact the shop? Email, Fax, Phone?? And if Email or Fax, how long before a return acknowledgement?<O:p</O:p

I’ve emailed for information already and want to know how long to wait before I go to the Phone/Fax option.

Thanks in advance.....

jtharvey 07-26-2006 09:51 PM

Just give them a call. I was there on Monday afternoon, and after being gone on Friday only, they had something like 130+ emails and 60+ phone messages to return. Calling is the best and probably easiest way to get in touch with them. :)

kawika 07-26-2006 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jtharvey
Just give them a call. I was there on Monday afternoon, and after being gone on Friday only, they had something like 130+ emails and 60+ phone messages to return. Calling is the best and probably easiest way to get in touch with them. :)

Guess that's what I'm going to do tomorrow...

All,
Another set of Questions.

For those of you that went to their shop for the install, How long did it take to remove the Trans, rebuild it, then install it back in and test drive.

Are there a lot of options on places to stay? (I'm from IL and planning on driving down. It about a 10 hr drive)

What else do they offer at their shop? (I'll find out when I call, but others may want to know) Their Web site needs some improvement.

Again, Thanks in advance.....

aklim 07-27-2006 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by kawika
For those of you that went to their shop for the install, How long did it take to remove the Trans, rebuild it, then install it back in and test drive.

Are there a lot of options on places to stay? (I'm from IL and planning on driving down. It about a 10 hr drive)

What else do they offer at their shop? (I'll find out when I call, but others may want to know) Their Web site needs some improvement.

Again, Thanks in advance.....

I doubt they do that. If you give them advance notice and not knock on the door, they will have the trans built up. Then it is a matter of taking your's out and sticking their's in. Should not take them more than 6 hrs which is what the shop book time is.

An alternative is to have them ship the trans to you. You have your local guy install it and send them back the core. Their price is $3900 and they also charged me shipping 2 ways. Much cheaper than me driving all the way there. Something to consider is that if you go there, as I understand it, they charge you tax. When they send the trans, you don't pay tax.

jtharvey 07-27-2006 12:48 AM

Trans rebuild doesn't take that long. Brian's got everything down to a system. It will probably take around 6-8 hours. One day deal for sure.

The place to stay is called the Sugar Loaf Inn. It's a few miles down the road from the shop. Let them know you're there for work at BTS. The rate's not bad, I think it was around $45.00. It's no Raddison, but it was a clean place to sleep.

What else do you want? Brian's can do just about anything, from turbo upgrades to fuel system stuff to tuning. Of course, he's also got the famed BTS twin HPOP there.

His website might be able to take some improvements, but he's sure not hurting for business. When you call to schedule the trans, I wouldn't be suprised if they're booked for 3-6 weeks out.

aklim 07-27-2006 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by jtharvey
Trans rebuild doesn't take that long. Brian's got everything down to a system. It will probably take around 6-8 hours. One day deal for sure.

They rebuild while you wait? That is something new. Most shops I have heard of have the trans ready before you get there.

jtharvey 07-27-2006 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by aklim
I doubt they do that. If you give them advance notice and not knock on the door, they will have the trans built up. Then it is a matter of taking your's out and sticking their's in.

I'm pretty sure Brian drops your trans, rebuilds it, then puts it back in. The only original part of your trans he uses though is the case. Everything else inside of it is new. When he did mine, that's what he did anyway.

Oh, and I was there on Monday. They dropped a trans, rebuilt it, and had it back in the truck, test drive complete and back on the road in just under 6 hours.

jtharvey 07-27-2006 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by aklim
They rebuild while you wait? That is something new. Most shops I have heard of have the trans ready before you get there.

I'm almost positive he does it that way. BTS is not most shops though. ;) Brian's got his system down. It's not uncommon for them to do 2 transmissions in one day, and I know they've done at least 3 in a day before.

kawika 07-27-2006 12:35 PM

The reason I ask is that the trans I have in now was just replaced a little more than 6 months ago and it looks clean and has no issues except slipping at the higher HP levels. When I opened it up to replace the VB, there were no bits and pieces on the magnet, just some fine particles not amounting to much. So I would rather that the trans I have now get rebuilt and placed back into my truck.
Also I would like to get some other things done while away from the wife so that she does not know. It’s easier to ask for forgiveness when she finds out then to ask for permission. It took quite awhile to get her to OK the amount I will spend for the rebuild. Now to find the extra $$ for the other goodies.