Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Vibration in rear while braking (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/502487-vibration-in-rear-while-braking.html)

als30 06-20-2006 02:12 PM

Vibration in rear while braking

I have read several threads resembling my problem but can't seem to find the answer. 1997 F150 supercab 4wd. No noticeable vibrations noted while accelerating or cruising. However, when applying the breaks a very noticeable vibration/hop is noted in the rear as it slows through the 40mph range. Have had tires rotated and balanced. I replaced both back axles, brake drums, brake shoes and rear u-joint myself with no improvement at all. Local mechanic says it has to be the rear brakes with it only occurring while applying the brakes. All new drums/shoes etc. Anything else to try?

Draft_Horse 06-20-2006 02:37 PM

My first thought was your brakes. Even though you installed new drums, did you machine them first? I suggest you do because when I used to be an auto mechanic and did brakes, when I pulled new drums out of stock, most of the time they were out of round. No bull.
Otherwise, check your leaf springs; maybe they're loose?

IB Tim 06-20-2006 06:06 PM

...Welcome als30, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards.:-X22 ….

Wateredge 06-21-2006 01:42 AM

check your rear shocks if there worn out they could create a wheel hop

als30 06-21-2006 11:32 AM

Thank you for your input. I will try anything and everything right now. What is the best way to check the rear shocks?

Draft_Horse 06-21-2006 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by als30
Thank you for your input. I will try anything and everything right now. What is the best way to check the rear shocks?

See if they're leaking, bounce the truck by standing in the box or on the bumper and see if the bounce is nice a firm. If it bounces like crazy or like sloppy, they're worn. Go under and physicly grabe the shock and see if the mounting is solid or loose. http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...lies/smile.gif

Wateredge 06-22-2006 12:46 AM

if you are really unsure about the shocks you can unbolt the bottom and push them in and out there should be a consistent amount of resitense if there inconsistent then there probably shot

Draft_Horse 06-28-2006 01:29 PM

I have read several threads resembling my problem but can't seem to find the answer. 1997 F150 supercab 4wd. No noticeable vibrations noted while accelerating or cruising. However, when applying the breaks a very noticeable vibration/hop is noted in the rear as it slows through the 40mph range. Have had tires rotated and balanced. I replaced both back axles, brake drums, brake shoes and rear u-joint myself with no improvement at all. Local mechanic says it has to be the rear brakes with it only occurring while applying the brakes. All new drums/shoes etc. Anything else to try?

Did you find the problem yet?

als30 06-29-2006 08:07 AM

Unfortunately the problem continues and is no better or worse than when I started my process of elimination and several hundred dollars. I'm beginning to wonder if it maybe has anything to do with the driveshaft or transmission in any way. The "bounce" or vibration seems to be coming from the rear end tho.

Draft_Horse 06-29-2006 12:28 PM

Unfortunately the problem continues and is no better or worse than when I started my process of elimination and several hundred dollars. I'm beginning to wonder if it maybe has anything to do with the driveshaft or transmission in any way. The "bounce" or vibration seems to be coming from the rear end tho.

Check the hanger bearing. Also, check to see if the pinion / pinion nut is tight and not loose.

blazerf250 07-01-2006 12:34 AM

Did you replace your brakes with genuine ford parts? I had problems with brakes from Autozone. I went though 2 new sets in 4 months. Put a set of ford brakes on and have been just fine for a year now. I think there is a difference. My two cents! Good luck!