Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   1981 Ford Courier. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/501661-1981-ford-courier.html)

jneilson 06-17-2006 12:43 PM

1981 Ford Courier.

Is this the right place to post regarding my Courier? I'd been looking for a cheap truck to haul stuff with for a few weeks when I ran across this '81 Courier for $400 that met my requirement, it was drivable, hehe. Anyway, it has a few issues, electrical system needs some work and the steering is just a bit loose. Does anyone else here have a Courier and are willing to share a little info on them? Thanks.

rbengl 06-17-2006 06:51 PM

I've got an '82 we're fixing up for my daughter. Not sure how much help I can be. I'm in fact trying to find a few parts myself, like the complete steering column and the dash bezel.

Loose steering can be several things. Have you checked all your steering linkage for looseness as you turn the wheel. Could be any part with some wear causing it to be loose. It might need a new steering box as the worm gears may just be worn.

My electrical issues will be solved with the replacement of the fuse box. Seems the clips that hold the fuses in place have a tendency to break off.

jneilson 06-17-2006 07:38 PM

Fortunatly there's a scrap yard a couple miles from my house that has five fairly clear Courier's I can get parts off of. Three of them look a lot better than mine.

RangerPilot 06-17-2006 09:40 PM

Depending on what the yard wants for them, it may be of great benefit to buy the best one there all together, take it home, get what you need, and sell it back to them. Great way to not miss anything.

RP
Zach

jneilson 06-17-2006 10:11 PM

I thought about that, but my wife hate my truck bad enough. She wouldn't go for another one taking up space in the garage.

RangerPilot 06-17-2006 10:27 PM

ah lol. Sometimes money is no problem, but the "other" half gets in the way.

Then my suggestion is to take a fine tooth comb to the truck, go through everything and make a list of what you need, and then pick those Couriers at the yard for everything they're worth.

She'll like it a lot better when you get done!

RP
Zach

rbengl 06-18-2006 12:53 AM

Okay, where and how do I get in touch with these. Can't find any in the Denver area, and having a horrible time getting parts. All the places I talk to don't want to ship or claim to no longer have one.

RangerPilot 06-18-2006 02:15 AM

rbengl, it's much the same way around here. Nobody has Couriers anymore. I've never seen one in my life. All the boneyards around here have long since crushed them.

To find one, you're gonna need to find a seriously large junkyard with an array of old and new vehicles.

RP
Zach

rbengl 06-18-2006 11:27 AM

RP, Jnielson said he had a boneyard that had 5 of them in it.
That's what I was asking how to get in touch with. I've been in touch with boneyards from Nebraska, to Georgia to Michigan to Washington state and Texas. It's the same everywhere, so far, "oh, you're from Colorado. Well, that truck was crushed last Tuesday. Too bad you didn't call before that." The problem is that I did, and all was well until I asked them if they would mind pulling and shipping if I paid for the shipping and I've even told them I'd give them something extra to pull it for me.

jneilson 06-18-2006 12:22 PM

The name of the scrapyard with the Couriers is Collins Auto Salvage in Auburn, Ga. 770-963-2650. I don't know if they do business by mail, they're a u pull it type of place.

rbengl 06-18-2006 05:08 PM

Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

rbengl 06-19-2006 04:19 PM

I gave them a call and they have a guy that does it on the side, after hours. He's going to look and call me back. Thanks for the info, jneilson.

Now what exactly are your problems that maybe I can help with and return part of the favor?

rbengl 06-19-2006 04:32 PM

I gave them a call and they have a guy that does it on the side, after hours. He's going to look and call me back. Thanks for the info, jneilson.

Now what exactly are your problems that maybe I can help with and return part of the favor?

pbw_55 07-22-2006 10:58 AM

I have a 1980 Ford Courier that blew a head gasket. Had head re-worked now ready to put back on--have lost interest. Anyone interested? Please contact me !

Greywolf 07-22-2006 11:54 AM

PBW - where are you located?

I've been toying with the idea of slapping an RX7 engine into a Courier for a while, and it looks like my cash issues are about to be solved and then some.

(Hey - it's still a Mazda engine, right?)