Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   taxes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/501545-taxes.html)

kenpobuck 06-16-2006 10:05 PM

taxes

Can anyone tell me if u have to pay road taxes on home brewed biodiesel in Kentucky?

kennedyford 06-17-2006 09:31 AM

No, the laws show that as long as you produce it for yourself and not for resale it is all ok. They cant tell anyway. Also according to Fabman, bio is able to be transported without placards, because of its nature it is unregulated. No hazmat or placards required.

monsterbaby 06-17-2006 09:51 AM

I am not sure i would push the no hazmat placards very far, biodiesel is still a flammable liquid, and unless I am very much mistaken still has ot carry a flamable placard when transport over 1000lbs

kenpobuck 06-17-2006 11:25 AM

Thanks guys, I havent started makeing it yet. Gonna make my bronco a diesel, and didn't want to get into trouble with the law(least not to much).http://campaigns.ford-trucks.net/for...ons/icon10.gif

fabmandelux 06-17-2006 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by kennedyford
No, the laws show that as long as you produce it for yourself and not for resale it is all ok. They cant tell anyway. Also according to Fabman, bio is able to be transported without placards, because of its nature it is unregulated. No hazmat or placards required.

Close, but not quite. Fed law says the first 400 gal produced EACH quarter is exempt from Fed exise tax. States have different laws. Here in oregon you must pay $.24 per gallon on each gallon used "on-road". All off-road use is non-taxable.

kennedyford 06-17-2006 12:35 PM

ohh I knew you were watching and you would set me straight, but the final word is how would they know if you mix with reg?

Dave Barbieri 06-17-2006 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by kennedyford
....but the final word is how would they know if you mix with reg?

Mom always sed, "Never mess with people that can hurt you." How would they know? Don't know and don't wanna find out. A lot of folks got burned running leaded fuel in unleaded vehicles. How did they know? A small piece of chemically reactive paper the size of two postage stamps. The inspector rubbed it on the inside of the tailpipe and looked for a reaction. Any trace, You're Busted. Biodiesel is becoming a growing force in US transportation. It's not a fad anymore; states are now requiring its addition to petrodiesel stocks sold for OTR use. Just as there's a quick and simple test for leaded fuel and offroad diesel, you can bet your next meal that there will soon be an equally simple field test for bioD in portions larger than, say, 20%.

400 gallons would easily take me thru a quarter. Even if it didn't, I'm still making my own fuel for a fraction of the cost at the pump (even with the two bits added on for Uncle). Ya see, once the 'Revenooers' check you and find that you're clean, they go on to other targets. But get busted just once, and you definitely become a 'target of opportunity' for a long time. Considering the grief I could bring down on myself, it's just not worth it.

My .02 worth.

kennedyford 06-17-2006 05:28 PM

HEY MONSTER,
You need to pm me your address so I can send you a thanks.

baddad457 06-21-2006 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
I am not sure i would push the no hazmat placards very far, biodiesel is still a flammable liquid, and unless I am very much mistaken still has ot carry a flamable placard when transport over 1000lbs

Wrong. Only if it's blended with diesel does it have to be placarded. Straight biodiesel is classed the same as veg oil, no placards or restrictions. Yea, it's flammable but it's not hazardous (unless you spill it on the kitchen floor and step in it :-X03 ) And further, for something hazardous to be placarded, it has to be in a container over 110 gallons. Not sure about the 1,000 lbs.

Phydeaux88 06-21-2006 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Close, but not quite. Fed law says the first 400 gal produced EACH quarter is exempt from Fed exise tax. States have different laws. Here in oregon you must pay $.24 per gallon on each gallon used "on-road". All off-road use is non-taxable.

Then, of course, they have to be able to prove it is illegal fuel. They depend on red dye to tell untaxed #2 from taxed #2. How are they gonna be able to tell if your B99 was bought from a legitimate distributor or not.

By the way this less this topic is discussed the less it is likely to draw their attention to the issue.

kennedyford 06-21-2006 10:34 PM

Big Brother Has More Important Things To Do, Its That Little Punk Reveners That Keep Busting My Still, I Mean My Ethenol Research Facility.8d