Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum67/)
-   -   Overspray on truck! . . .?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/498830-overspray-on-truck.html)

live2hunt 06-06-2006 06:39 PM

Overspray on truck! . . .??

2001 F-350 PS
Was applying oil to my cedar fence last weekend and got overspray on paint and windows. Not worried about windows, but what will get the "Thompson's" off the truck paint? I've used paint thinner to no avail. Don't want to go to too strong a solvent before doing some more research.

Thanking you in advance . . .

steve66 06-06-2006 09:13 PM

You could try light buffing compund,like a swirl mark remover, and hand rub it off if it isn't too thick.Try a small area to see what the results are.I would try to rub it out by hand if possible,because if you aren't use to machine buffing,you could go through the clear coat or worse, the color coat.I like to turn a cotton sock inside out to buff with; it is abrasive enough to get off overspray without harming the paint underneath.If the swirl mark grade doesn't cut it,try a medium grade buffing compound,followed by the swirlmark remover.Hope this helps.

stonie 06-07-2006 04:53 AM

buffing the overspray off is one way of getting it off but there is also a product that you can get from auto paint suppliers which looks like clay and you use this by rubbing it on the paint and it takes off the overspray (hard to believe it would work) but let me tell you this is a proffesional painting product and it does work very well!!!

mississauga 06-09-2006 07:45 AM

I would try the clay also. I have used it to remove overspray and it will work. It is a slow process and requires lots of elbow grease. A bit of water with dish soap as a lubricant seems to help get the clay to slide on the surface a little easier.Failing that a real mild compound with an electric buffer maybe your next choice.

abmitchell 06-11-2006 11:21 PM

A few months back they were spraying truck bed liner on the roof of a railroad car where I work -- we were told that overspray wouldn't get on our cars (automobiles), which were parked about 300 feet away, but after two days of spraying myself and a coworker noticed a fine layer of -- you guessed it -- truck bed liner all over our cars. Like a fine dust, impossible to remove. They suggested using MEK to get it off, I said like hell am I putting MEK on my my car's paint. Long story short, they ended up paying about $500 apiece to have our cars professionally detailed -- the detailer used a clay block to remove the stuff (did a great job too!), he said the clay blocks will removed just about anything other than the paint.

bucks77ford 06-17-2006 12:49 AM

I had some white overspray on a red dakota that I owned (i'm not sure what kind of paint is was) and I tried a cheap way out so I used everything from bug and tar remover to paint thinner or mineral spirits. Nothing even touched it. So, just out of a whim, I grabbed some Greased Lightning for the hell of it and what do you know, with a bit of some hard rubbing it came off. Like I said, maybe it was some cheap paint overspray, but I would have thought paint thinner would have done the trick and it never. I really wasn't too concerned about the fading the paint at the time. I have only tried greased lightning once so I would like to know if it works for someone else.