Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Soft tonneau cover (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/496321-soft-tonneau-cover.html)

69ford99 05-28-2006 10:55 PM

Soft tonneau cover

I was looking at soft tops available for the bronco and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the cab/tonneau combo? Thats the one that makes it look like a pickup with a tonneau cover on it. I wasn't sure if it was worth $400.

greystreak92 05-29-2006 01:10 AM

Well, in as much as I've researched the product, the pricetag boils down to about $10.00 per HOLE that must be drilled in the body to mount all the snaps that hold it down. I can't deny that it looks sharp but I just can't abide the idea of deliberately putting that many holes in the body in the name of rendering my rear passenger space useless and my cargo space cut by nearly 50%. Just one man's opinion.

helirich 05-29-2006 07:47 AM

I would agree with Greystreak on the holes. I would think that some kind of fiberglass or aluminum bed cover could be made with a rear window incorprated. It would have a hinge at the front and have struts like on the new pickup hard covers. I think it could be made to look cool with a wing or something on the back. Also, it could lock. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I wonder if there's a market for it?

69ford99 05-29-2006 08:40 AM

Yeah, I think you guys are right, ok well now that that's off the list now what, headers to finish up my free flowing exhaust or a 2 1/2" lift? Which one is easier out of the two?

JetBlackBronco 05-29-2006 02:48 PM

i found a "better" way to do this, you need a top rail mount tonneau for a short box pickup, and you need to shrorten the frame. NPD has a Downey SST cover for $200, with an aluminum frame, and universal snaps. as soon as the post office opens in the morning, im prolly gonna order one of these covers.
i plan on shortening the frame of the cover on the front end, and then drill holes so it will mount in the same holes as the factory hardtop. then attaching velcro to the front end of the cover, and then to the top of the cab, so i can fasten it there when in not in the truck.
ill get some pics, when its done.

JetBlackBronco 05-29-2006 10:38 PM

btw, i took the top off today....i LOVE IT

poffutt 05-30-2006 03:40 PM

I have a Kayline top and all the snaps are bolted to rails that bolt down to the body. About 6 on each side and 6 on the front and 6 on the back. If you don't like having to put the hard top on and off it is a great upgrade. I don't worry about the holes. They are not visible when any of the tops are on or off. They don't leak because the gasket under it.

njredneck 04-10-2011 08:59 AM

where can i get one of these covers with the snaps kit and after the snaps are installed can i take cover off and put cap back on ?

njneer1 04-10-2011 09:51 AM

Looks like Kayline got bought out by STC.....then went out of business....bummer

jfritts 04-10-2011 03:39 PM

Only place you can find them now is on Craigslist and Ebay. No one makes them new anymore.

greystreak92 04-10-2011 06:40 PM

The Graveyard is having the full blown soft top originally made by K-bar-S manufacturing (later Kayline, then STC) made exclusively for their own distribution. The tonneau I haven't researched in a long while.