Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum177/)
-   -   Anybody in to stock car racing or demo derbies? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/493406-anybody-in-to-stock-car-racing-or-demo-derbies.html)

150ford 05-18-2006 11:39 AM

Anybody in to stock car racing or demo derbies?

Hey guys was just wondering if any off you are in to stock car racing or demo derbies? Or maybe in to something with your truck such as mud drags mud bogs or any motorsports in general. Or maybe one off your friends is an your on the pit crew. Tell us about it an do you enjoy it. Some kids it gets in there blood an they just love doing what they do. Tell us about your experiences guys. Thanks a bunch :-X25

jake00 05-18-2006 07:25 PM

I've built 2 derby cars.

Always wanted to try trailer racing

92custom302 05-19-2006 12:55 PM

Ive liked racing for a while but never really got involved with it, until just recently. a few weeks ago i started helping a guy out with his latemodel car, we got a race in a couple of weeks that were pretty pumped about, and were in the process of putting a new body on the car, hopefully we can get that done tommorow and get some practice in next week. the coolest part is that hes working on a deal with Ruby Tuesdays to sponsor him on the Hooters procup tour. His dad is the county commissioner with plenty of connections so its pretty much a done deal. Right now im helping him because hes a buddy of mine, but when this ruby tuesdays thing comes through ill be making pretty good money working in his crew.

JD717 05-20-2006 07:51 PM

I'm a huge fan of demo derbies. gotta get in on someones pit crew though. nothin more fun than watchin a bunch of folks with cars bash the crap outta each other.

I_love_mud 05-24-2006 12:39 PM

well i love em

i have been on a pit crew for demo derbys for the past 6 years. i love it its one of the funest things to do. I plan on one day seeing if i can become a tire changer for the nascar series so if anbody knows anbody that needs a tire changer call me are post something on here.

skilife17 05-25-2006 03:23 PM

I'm into demo derbies. I went to one last summer, and one guy brought in a 80's or 90's F250. To say the least it must have been his first time with truck demos. He got the snot beat out of him. I also love the sound, nothin like wide open headers.

jpjahn 06-13-2006 12:38 PM

My dad did demo derby's back in like 1985. He ended up winning some stuff. I wanted us to do something like that now, but he says its changed and they are alot more strict about rules and such... I think it would still be fun.

PowerstrokeJunkie 06-13-2006 09:12 PM

i am on a sprint car (358) team. it is good fun going out on the weekends and racing. it's basically redneck days. it is great, loud ass 358 chevys with open headers going around in a circle track rolling dust. the driver isn't very good as it is his 2nd year in the sport (he's 17) and we go just for the fun. however it is expensive. i wait all week for the smell of burning methanol on the weekends. 1500 pound car, 650hp, going around a 1/4 mile track in 13 seconds at speeds of over 100mph is awesome. the 410 class sprint cars can pull wheelies down the straightaways, they are 950+hp and only 1300 pounds. visit www.stephenjorda.com #81

bterry 06-18-2006 08:39 AM

Sorry to drop in (I'm 42 and the thread title caught my eye), but I thought I'd post here anyway. I used to race an asphalt super stock (street stock). Yeah it's fun... about 110 MPH going in, on a half mile oval. BSEG!

What's relevant about this is that I still have the car, and have turned the wheel over to my 16 year old son. He's been racing with us for about 4-5 years now. He's ready. His first race will (hopefully) be 7/1/06.

As far as getting in your blood, be careful - it is an incurable disease

ford_mudd_runner 06-21-2006 08:54 PM

i have been building demo cars for 5 years now and am running my first one this augest. i love to build demo cars it's like my life now! cant wait to get in the drivers seat!

Cruiseomatic 06-25-2006 03:08 PM

How would you get into it and what do you need? (demo derby'ing)

t_dickie 07-19-2006 11:43 PM

Well, that depends on if you want to just partake, or win. If you wanna go for the fun, just find any old car, strip it, chop the exhaust off and go. Now I'm not saying that set up can't win, but if you want to improve your odds, here's what I adivse you to do. First off, run mainly Dodge cars, however Chevy station wagons and Impalas are strong as well. If you can, find a Chrysler Imperial, they are the strongest derby car out there. Any Ford cars are hit and miss, except for a suicide door Lincoln, which is comparable to an Imperial I'm told. Next, get a 318 Dodge, these are the best engine to use in a derby, as they love to run scortching hot. Don't use a Ford or a Chev, they can't take the heat like the 318's. Rebuild so it has lots of horsepower (mines around 350) and find a 727 automatic to go with it. Try and scrounge up lots of spare parts, just in case. Also, you want a strong rear end, with very low gears in it, like 4.10 or lower. That way, you can jump up into the powerband of your engine right away, whereas with the stock gearing of a car, which it around 2.73, it takes longer.

If you follow what I've said above, you will increase your chances of winning.

jake00 08-02-2006 11:21 PM

How would you get into it
see if your county fair has one and get a copy of the rules.

crash104936221 08-21-2006 03:51 PM

I have been doing pit crew for my buddy for the last 4 years in the local fair, we are more into just the fun, the first 2 years were great. last year we got screwed on a carb problem with the caprice 305, so he kept it drop on another carb and it ran strong untill we got to the fair this year then it wouldnt work worth a **** agian. so were callin it the cused car and its sitting in his yard, may sell it but we are NOT taking it again lol.

were thinking about taking a little more effort into the event and possibly taking on a few others around te area.

i have another friend that is active in the derby leage in this area "Birminator" not sure how he's doing though but there is a crew that is filming him and a couple others for a run of shows on tv (cant rember the chanel) i guess the network like the "Hot Rod: The Movie" movie they made of the local rednecks LMAO im in it aswell for like .5 seconds as they pan past at the fair looking at the link mae me think this is redneck place for sure its produced by my fathers girlfriends nefew lol

Anyways
Joe