Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil & Lubrication (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum70/)
-   -   synthetic blend (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/493132-synthetic-blend.html)

BuckTruck 05-17-2006 02:03 PM

synthetic blend

this might be a stupid question, but I don't know a whole lot about oils so I thought I would ask.
I've recently purchased Trop artic Synthetic BLEND oil for the same price as regular oils. Thats regular price, no sales or anything. It was about $1.50 a quart.
I was just wondering, shouldn't even a synthetic blend be a little more expensive than regular oil? Is synthetic blend any better than regular oil?
Thanks.

Flash 05-17-2006 07:38 PM

Per MSDS on this oil it is averagely 70% Gp III dino synthetic. The basestock comes from their Korean plant and from that location and that process, it is cheap to build. For todays oils, it is a bargain and has more synthetic basestock than most of the popular blends. The latest on Motorcraft shows less than 20% synthetic for a comparison. I have used it and the UOA was a good as any oil I have tested. I would say it is the deal of the day.

ford390gashog 05-18-2006 12:22 AM

i buy all the trop artic oil i can get my hands on. they can make it very cheap overseas and have strict quality control. it is a great oil.

bigdaddyII 05-18-2006 03:58 PM

Towards the middle of last year I bought out Wally Worlds (the only place I have ever seen it) rack of TropArtic twice. That oil is long since gone, I see a few bottles on the shelf once and again but not ever enough to warrent me buying them. They are great oils, I believe first cousin to Motorcraft syn. blend.

mikemic 05-24-2006 02:19 AM

I bought 10 quarts, nearly the entire stock of 10w30 for the wife's car. That makes 20 quarts total so far. After I use that up, I guess I'll buy whatever good oil is on sale at the time. I'm cheap.

Ed 05-24-2006 03:16 AM

Trop Artic is a Quality Oil, no ? !

Our Dollar Tree store was stocking a bunch of Trop Artic oil (blend) in 30HD, 5w30, and 10w30. Yes, $1 a quart. This was at the end of March, and I have not been back in to check. I have about a case of 5w30, in my shed, and like this oil, I always have. Target here, used to sell it, as well as Wal-Mart, although it's arounf $1.59 quart there. Still a good price, and I would gladly pay that for PH. 66's "Trop Artic" SYN Blend oil! (I do not think Target stocks it anymore, at least not in northern California). :-X21

ford390gashog 05-24-2006 01:42 PM

oddly enough i have been able to find trop artic at longs drug stores. all new stock and sm rated. 1.99-2.49 a quart. you can also buy a 55 gallon drum from most bulk distributors for 226.00 makes it about 1.03 a quart.

Ed 05-25-2006 01:48 AM

Good Tip!

Originally Posted by ford390gashog
oddly enough i have been able to find trop artic at longs drug stores. all new stock and sm rated. 1.99-2.49 a quart. you can also buy a 55 gallon drum from most bulk distributors for 226.00 makes it about 1.03 a quart.

-------------------------------
I have a Longs not far from me also, but have not been there in quite some time. I'll check it out soon. Also, a huge WALGREENS has been built near me too, so it might be interesting to see what they are stocking for oil, etc. Ed (Sacramento area) :-down