Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   Squeaking/Creaking In Front End of 2002 Focus (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/492423-squeaking-creaking-in-front-end-of-2002-focus.html)

Beast12 05-15-2006 08:43 AM

Squeaking/Creaking In Front End of 2002 Focus

Well, I finally am having an issue with my Focus. Seems that when I am turning around corners and the weight of the car is shifting the front end has a creak/squeak in it. Last oil change (about 2 months ago) when I had the car up on the hoist at my Dad's place I checked out all the front end parts and they seemed fine.

So, within the last month or so this has become a problem. Anyone know of anything to check before I put it back on the hoist?

-Matt :-tap

Racerguy 05-15-2006 11:53 PM

I would start by checking the sway bar end links and tie rod ends.
Can you get it to make the noise if you turn the steering and bounce the front end? If you can then touch each joint while it's making the noise. Usually the problem one will feel rough compared to the rest.
If you can't figure it out that way I'd remove the sway bar ends links and try it.

Beast12 05-16-2006 10:36 AM

I have been reading up and am also thinking sway bar end links (connecting links). So would they be squeaking at the connections to the sway bar and also up top? Is there a way to lubricate them or just replace them? Do you think you could get me a ballpark price on the parts to replace? Canadian dollars is fine. :) Should be something I can do myself.

It has been raining here recently and they haven't been making much noise. If the noise comes back I will maybe unhook them and drive around and see what happens.

Thanks again Dave! :)

loudfords 05-16-2006 11:32 AM

I had same problem - mine was a broken coil spring.

I have heard about end link problems, but mine were all ok.

Do you have a pit you can drive over to check it out? Leave the front suspension loaded and start wiggling things until you find something loose, it's harder to find with the car on a hoist and the suspension unloaded.

Beast12 05-16-2006 12:23 PM

I know about the whole issue with broken coil springs so I checked them. If they do break though there is a 10 year warranty on them. You did know that, right?

I don't have a pit. I crawled under the car and was trying to wiggle things while it was in the driveway. Kind of hard to do though. Couldn't really find anything loose. The end links move a bit but I believe they should move a little bit.

Hmmmm......

loudfords 05-16-2006 02:38 PM

I didn't know about warranty on the springs. My father in law and I replaced them in his suspension shop - and he didn't charge us for the parts. We also replaced the one strut bearing since it was damaged from the broken spring side-loading it. Apparently the suspension warehouse says they sell lots of strut bearings for Focuses.

My spring broke inside the rubber sleeve on the spring, so it wasn't really obvious until I was under the car and saw the spring all pushed to one side. Oh, the breaking springs seem to be more common in areas like ours that put lots of salt on the roads in winter.

loudfords 06-12-2006 01:32 PM

Matt, did you ever find out what the problem was?

We had the ignition cylinder seize on our Focus this weekend. Found out it's not that rare. Brought the car to the dealer on Saturday, should get it back later today. The only good thing about it? The Focus has the nicest tie-down points of any vehicle I've ever hauled on the trailer!

Beast12 06-12-2006 04:38 PM

No, I didn't. Seems the problem has kind of gone away.

You never knew about the ignition cylinder seizing problem? Wow! I have heard about that lots of times. I would be interesting in knowing what that costs to fix (if you don't mind me asking). Make sure you have the updated cylinder (you should).

tjc transport 06-12-2006 05:00 PM

Matt, the easiest way to fix them squeaks is to turn the volume on the radio up, then you don't hear them anymore!!:-D

Beast12 06-12-2006 05:26 PM

Well, my radio was being kind of stupid so I wasn't using it and that is when I noticed the squeaks. Now may radio is fine and they are gone. Sooooo, maybe they are still there? :-D

loudfords 06-13-2006 11:29 AM

Came to 265. Rather high labour rate at this dealer. Yeah, it's the updated cylinder, should never happen again. At least they can match the cylinder to the keys for the car so they don't need to be replaced. (chip = $$$)

I haven't really done any Focus problems research since we bought it, just before. Now something will happen and THEN I find out it's common. So far:
-ignition cylinder
-AC needed recharge (undetectable leak though, which we were happy about)
-broken coil spring
-EGR sensor
-trunk button doesn't work

Kind of annoying to be always doing little things every year on the expensive vehicle, when my 79 just needs a couple oil changes every year.

Beast12 06-13-2006 07:37 PM

Yeah the trunk thing is common as well. It's because you need to use the key more often. :)

I haven't had any problems yet *Knocks on wood*.

rywegh 06-13-2006 09:40 PM

uhhh Matt since you quit working for your dad... have you weighted yourself lately??? :-X10 :-X10 Especially if you just the springs and the front end parts were good.

Beast12 06-14-2006 05:21 AM

Hmm...that's right. Since I quit working for my dad climbing trees (almost a year ago) I know I have put on 15 or so pounds. Maybe I should see what the front end is rated for. Maybe look into getting the Snow Plow package? :-D

Beast12 06-18-2006 09:51 AM

I changed to oil on the car this weekend and had it up on the hoist at my Dad's house. I could not find anything that was wrong. I also (with the radio off) did some quick cornering and didn't hear any squeaks or anything. So, I guess I will leave it until they come back?......

Originally Posted by loudfords
The only good thing about it? The Focus has the nicest tie-down points of any vehicle I've ever hauled on the trailer!

I made sure to look for those when I was under there. VERY NICE! Too bad I will never need them. ;)