Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Canola Oil? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/491889-canola-oil.html)

VelocityDriver 05-13-2006 12:04 AM

Canola Oil?

Diesel is $3.30/gallon here, Costco has pure canola oil, 5 gallons for $12.88. What mixture and can I run it?

Thanks-

tvsjr 05-13-2006 01:36 AM

Yeah, a mixture of 1:0 diesel/canola. Do you really have an urge to burn up that >$10K motor in your truck?

Sigh... people think you can just dump anything in your fuel tank and burn it.

Beachbumcook 05-13-2006 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by VelocityDriver
Diesel is $3.30/gallon here, Costco has pure canola oil, 5 gallons for $12.88. What mixture and can I run it?

Thanks-

You can't!!!

There is a whole process to refine, filter, and heat and cool it. I do not know or have the specifics, but look on the web for bio-diesel conversion kits and the what the process is.

I have to respectively ask..... if your smart enough to buy a +$40,000 Super Duty truck, do you really thibk it is that easy to just pour vegi-oil in your tank????

Even when running bio-diesel, Ford will only warrent if using B5 or less (5% bio diesel). Adding 5% bio to regular diesel is not enough les for me, nor is it available in my area. I bought my truck and will run good ol Diesel #2 with Powerservice in it. If I can not afford diesel or my truck, then I will sell my truck and buy a bicycle!!!!

Do some research but it is not as simple as you think it may be.... good luck though.

spycatcher70 05-13-2006 04:39 PM

Dunno man. Post the question in the biodiesel forum. Someone should be able to help you out.

dschuffert 05-13-2006 10:08 PM

That's a good question. There is a bio diesel list on this site.

My understanding of refining bio diesel is to burn off any fat and solids leaving the pure oil. The conversion kits that take dirty grease and filter and heat do the same thing.

If you have pure vegetable oil then you should be able to use it with some type of blend, and assuming your air temperature is warm enough that the oil doesn't solidify or gel. I would research the heck out of it before I did anything. Do a google search on bio diesel and you'll find a lot of sites that can truly answer this question.

kw5413 05-13-2006 10:27 PM

Moving thread to the Bio-diesel Forum.

cookie88 05-13-2006 10:44 PM

It won't mix at all...rather, it won't stay mixed. You can either A) Refine your veggie oil to produce biodiesel which you can run with no modifications to your vehicle, or B) Modify your vehicle with an additional tank and heaters to run the vegatable oil.

Either option is very viable and will lower your fuel bill considerably, but it's more complicated than simply dumping oil into the fuel tank.

AndysFords 05-19-2006 09:46 AM

Yea, but in the old IDI, a lot of people around Alabama where I used to live ran vegetable oil straight with no modifications. One guy I know has 4,000 miles running straight vegetable oil with no modifications and hes never had any problems.

Beachbumcook 05-19-2006 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by AndysFords
Yea, but in the old IDI, a lot of people around Alabama where I used to live ran vegetable oil straight with no modifications. One guy I know has 4,000 miles running straight vegetable oil with no modifications and hes never had any problems.

Ya... maybe, but we are not talking about the old IDI motor... but rather the 6.0L motor as this is the 6.0L forum. The IDI was a whole different set-up and managed itself and fuel injection totally different... so there is no comparison between what used to be and what is now.

Thats like saying "in the old days" we use to add waste oil and/or tranny fluid or kerosene to our diesel fuel... those days are gone!!!!

BigRed350 05-21-2006 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by cookie88
It won't mix at all...rather, it won't stay mixed. You can either A) Refine your veggie oil to produce biodiesel which you can run with no modifications to your vehicle, or B) Modify your vehicle with an additional tank and heaters to run the vegatable oil.

Either option is very viable and will lower your fuel bill considerably, but it's more complicated than simply dumping oil into the fuel tank.

I remember reading on here that the reason for the extra fuel tank was because you needed to be able to switch from SVO to Diesel and back again. Supposedly one would start the engine on the Diesel, then switch to the SVO (straight vegetable oil) tank. Then, before shut down, your supposed to switch back over to the Diesel tank in order to "clean out" the lines and injectors and make it easier to start next time. The purpose of the heaters was to keep the SVO from gelling in low temps. If that all is true, and I already have 2 tanks, and the low temp is 80 degrees, can I SAFELY run SVO as described above without installing a heater or seperate tank?

Thanks!

dschuffert 05-21-2006 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BigRed350
I remember reading on here that the reason for the extra fuel tank was because you needed to be able to switch from SVO to Diesel and back again. Supposedly one would start the engine on the Diesel, then switch to the SVO (straight vegetable oil) tank. Then, before shut down, your supposed to switch back over to the Diesel tank in order to "clean out" the lines and injectors and make it easier to start next time. The purpose of the heaters was to keep the SVO from gelling in low temps. If that all is true, and I already have 2 tanks, and the low temp is 80 degrees, can I SAFELY run SVO as described above without installing a heater or seperate tank?

Thanks!

Some good resources to answer your questions are www.biodiesel.org and www.biodieselnow.com. The first one is sponsored by the industry. My manual for my '05 F250 reads that Ford support a B5 blend. This is 5% Biodiesel blended with 95% petroleum diesel. Most of the dual tank bio setups I have seen feed right in to the main tank. The secondary tank usually contains all the filtering and heating.

leskwvo 05-21-2006 08:31 AM

Thanks!

The heat is for flowability once thing you won't have in NV, but it also in a must for viscosity. veggie oil is far thicker then #2 at 80F. When you heat it to 160F then it is closer to #2 when it's at about 30F. So it will spray well and thus cumbust well.

Running unheated veggie oil in an engine has been proven to cause coaking and engine failure. Mixing it with #2 will only help so much.

fabmandelux 05-21-2006 08:33 AM

Thanks!

Biodiesel requires NO heating. WVO or SVO Have to be heated. Without heating SVO will coke up the injectors and build up behind the rings and can also distroy your IP. You can eather convert the truck or convert the oil to bio. Please don't try to use SVO unheated unless you want to spend lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

BigRed350 05-21-2006 08:45 AM

Thanks guys! I sure don't want to end up spending thousands just so I can save a few cents per gallon! I figured that in Vegas I could get away with not having to pre-heat the SVO, but from what I gather, I would have to heat it even in Death Valley!!??

Mark

fabmandelux 05-21-2006 09:08 AM

Another engine saved from a slow death!