Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic Region (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum159/)
-   -   lift laws in NJ (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/490834-lift-laws-in-nj.html)

Vijay 05-09-2006 12:43 PM

lift laws in NJ

I need information on lift kit law/s in NJ. From what I know/read NJ law states that any truck with above 4 inch of lift is classified as “high rise” and it has to undergo stability test at state facility. So does that mean I can put semi truck wheels on a ford F350 (with 12 inch lift) as long as it can pass the stability test? Has any body gone through the state inspection on lifted truck before?

Any suggestion on a good mechanic around Fords, NJ (to install lift kit and regular maintains etc...)?

rsylvstr 03-12-2007 02:26 PM

any updates?

Copperkingf250 03-12-2007 02:32 PM

I think the maximum lift/tire combo you can do is an 8" with 38s in NJ. The lift laws say 11 inch over stock including the tires. And no tires bigger than 38".

frederic 05-18-2007 12:44 PM

actually nj specifies only 4" of bumper height increase over stock. thats all they specify.

Vijay 05-21-2007 12:56 PM

I got some news on this one….It is 38 inch tire max, the tires should not pop out more than one inch as compared to factory defaults. As far as max lift height goes, I did not bother since you need 8 inch of lift to fit 38s any way. Any bigger lift than 8 inch will make the truck look disproportionate and worst yet “ugly” …

Tractor Boy 05-21-2007 08:20 PM

so just lift it anyway, or get street rod tags if NJ offers em

Vijay 05-22-2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
so just lift it anyway, or get street rod tags if NJ offers em

Does that tag allow me to put bigger tires???? Meaning bigger than 38?

Tractor Boy 05-22-2007 11:45 AM

in MD it allows u 2 b exempt from all inspection laws, including ride height, tire size, etc, only thing is the law also states it cannot b a daily driver which mine is, but I have not been pulled over 4 that, and when i got pulled over 4 my exhuast bein 2 loud they never said anything then either

ranger1999 Bob 05-22-2007 12:26 PM

as to a good mechanic around Fords NJ how about Old Bridge is that too far i know an excellent mechanic there and i know hes into off roading if you want the name and location of his shop and even a phone number let me know

Vijay 05-22-2007 03:38 PM

Ranger, Can you please PM me details? Old bridge isn't too far....

Tractor Boy 05-22-2007 05:33 PM

Vijay, did u check your local laws concerning those "street rod"/"custom" tags????? u should check into that b4 doin the werk, nothin like havin somethin good and gettin told either take it off the road of put it back 2 stock..............hope all werx out well man

frederic 05-24-2007 07:12 AM

There aren't street rod laws in NJ that I'm aware of.

We have commercial and consumer tags...
rebuilt/special/kit car tags
antique tags
trailer tags
and of course, antique tags.

Passing the stability test isn't a big deal, I've done it in the past. The key is to add a little width to the tires as you go up, which makes sense because I can't think of a reason why someone would want to go up 4-6" and use 4" wide tread on their truck :)

Vijay - do you have tools? Installing a lift kit isn't too bad of a job if you have friends helping you. You'll find a lot of shops steer away from such work just because of fear of liability issues.

Tractor Boy 05-24-2007 10:26 AM

I'd go with the special tags, I am thinkin its much like street rod tags in MD, I'd go up and ask 4 a booklet with the laws and requirements 4 each kind of tag

frederic 05-24-2007 08:53 PM

rebuilt/special/kit car tags are all toxic... they fall under "junked but rebuilt".

who cares really, just that many insurance companies won't insure such vehicles, even if they were rebuilt VERY well.

This is NJ's way of saying "buy a car and don't bother us with fabricated stuff".

Tractor Boy 05-24-2007 08:56 PM

that sux, md isnt even that bad, california maybe........... kinda puts a damper on havin somethin nice with time and money and hard work tied up in it