Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Pictures of this weekend's work (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/488594-pictures-of-this-weekends-work.html)

Corner Gas 05-01-2006 09:42 PM

Pictures of this weekend's work

I got pictures in my gallery of the mods I did this weekend. Zoodad, ccv and Kwik filter

PowerstrokeJunkie 05-01-2006 09:45 PM

wow, they all look good. i would recommend painting the heads of the screws of the zoo-dad to match the fiberglass shroud if they show thru. i think your next mod should be removing the insulation on the hot side intercooler pipe. lots of work, but it makes more whistle :-D

Tenn01PSD350 05-01-2006 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
wow, they all look good. i would recommend painting the heads of the screws of the zoo-dad to match the fiberglass shroud if they show thru. i think your next mod should be removing the insulation on the hot side intercooler pipe. lots of work, but it makes more whistle :-D

Yeah, lots of whistle and a big PITA getting that insulation and adhesive off. The result does look good though. I rate it as a six pack project. Might as well get the oil residue off of the boots while you're at it if not replacing them.

Fraalan 05-07-2006 08:59 PM

does anyone have a pic of the insulation before and after?
I am assuming it is the aluminum sheilded 2-1/2 or 3" pipe that is right in front of the air intake, and behind the PS PUMP (OOPS)
I am a few days away from the kwik, hpx mod and might as well spend a few extra hours under the hood while I am in there.

Edit
And yes I am infected.

Wieckster 05-07-2006 09:25 PM

I took the insulation off my pipe yesterday and man what a pain in the a$$ but it sure does whistle better I used a utility knife and cut the tape and then cut the insulation off as best as i could then I burned the rest off and now it looks like a brand new pipe

hink10 05-08-2006 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wieckster
I took the insulation off my pipe yesterday and man what a pain in the a$$ but it sure does whistle better I used a utility knife and cut the tape and then cut the insulation off as best as i could then I burned the rest off and now it looks like a brand new pipe

I did mine also, sounds really good, looks better too!

Tenn01PSD350 05-08-2006 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fraalan
does anyone have a pic of the insulation before and after?
I am assuming it is the aluminum sheilded 2-1/2 or 3" pipe that is right in front of the air intake, and behind the PS PUMP (OOPS)
I am a few days away from the kwik, hpx mod and might as well spend a few extra hours under the hood while I am in there.

Edit
And yes I am infected.

You are correct. The one with aluminum foil looking wrap.

I used a putty knife to get the wrap/insulation off. Then I tried a combination of solvents on that #$@% adhesive. Carb cleaner worked better than WD 40 did. Both will work, carb cleaner was quicker. I'll bet paint stripper works too. I tried mineral spirits with marginal results. Yes WD40 is a good adhesive remover generally speaking, but that stuff is baked on.

One thing to take note of, if you take off your insulation, you will notice extra "padding" under it where it actually contacts a bolt or nut from the alternator bracket, I can't remember exacty where. This needs to be addressed somehow or you could end up with metal on metal there and that is never good. Remember, that tube is only held on by two rubber hoses. I fabbed up some scrap hose to fit over this area as a preventive measure for now but I'm considering doing something else.

On edit: if I ever get my gauges and HPX installed, I may get around to updating my gallery with pics. Basically it will look like the cold side pipe only better if ya clean them both up.http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...ies2/thumb.gif

Fraalan 05-08-2006 09:00 AM

excellent. Did you try acetone?

hink10 05-08-2006 09:06 AM

I tried WD-40 then used wire wheel on a drill. Finished it off with some grease and wax remover. Worked fairly well, it's what I had in the garage. I'm sure a stripper would have been better. Didn't really take that long though.

Tenn01PSD350 05-08-2006 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fraalan
excellent. Did you try acetone?

No I did not. While that may work I think it may evaporate too fast. Not sure though. I used brake parts cleaner after I had removed the adhesive, then went to town on it with a drill mounted sanding wheel.

rickgmi 05-08-2006 12:11 PM

How much sound

I have been thinking about taking the wrap off, I was just wondering how much louder the turbo is,
Mine is did not come with WW. so is there someway someone could kind of explain the difference compared to with the wrap on
If its really worth it ill make it a project for today..
Thank you

ballbandit 05-08-2006 12:47 PM

What is the zoodad,ccv mods?

rickgmi 05-08-2006 12:54 PM

Zoodad is opneing your intake in the grill, cvv is rerouting your crank case vent to either outside air or rerouting into your exhaust

Do a search for those and you should come up with alot of imfo...they have been gone over alot on FTE

rickgmi 05-08-2006 03:27 PM

Removed wrap in intercooler pipe, took 1.3 hours, removed wrap with razor, soaked with brake cleaner, resoaked with wd40, then used 3/8 electric drill and wire brush cup and it came off...

Fraalan 05-08-2006 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by rickgmi
Removed wrap in intercooler pipe, took 1.3 hours, removed wrap with razor, soaked with brake cleaner, resoaked with wd40, then used 3/8 electric drill and wire brush cup and it came off...

and how does it sound?