Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   460 Exhaust Manifold bolts - Change now before they break? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/487730-460-exhaust-manifold-bolts-change-now-before-they-break.html)

85lebaront2 09-16-2014 07:23 PM

Jim, I don't really know what makes cond A or B, I do know that B is quite a bit harder and stronger than A.

ArdWrknTrk 09-17-2014 04:02 AM

"A" for annealed?

I'm willing to bet.

85lebaront2 09-17-2014 06:27 AM

Jim, the specs we worked to just referred to cond A or B.

ArdWrknTrk 09-17-2014 02:13 PM

Bill,
Here's what ASTM 276 has to say.

Abstract
This specification covers hot-finished or cold-finished bars except bars for reforging. It includes rounds, squares, and hexagons, and hot-rolled or extruded shapes, such as angles, tees, and channels in the more commonly used types of stainless steels. The bars shall be furnished in one of the following conditions: Condition A in which the bars are annealed, Condition H in which the bars are hardened and tempered at a relative temperature, Condition T in which the bars are hardened and tempered at a relatively high temperature, Condition S in which the bars are strain hardened or relatively light cold worked, and Condition B in which the bars are relatively severe cold worked. The material shall be subjected to a mechanical test to determine its tensile strength, yield strength, elongation, and Brinell hardness.
This abstract is a brief summary of the referenced standard. It is informational only and not an official part of the standard; the full text of the standard itself must be referred to for its use and application. ASTM does not give any warranty express or implied or make any representation that the contents of this abstract are accurate, complete or up to date.
1. Scope
1.1 This specification covers hot-finished or cold-finished bars except bars for reforging (Note 1). It includes rounds, squares, and hexagons, and hot-rolled or extruded shapes, such as angles, tees, and channels in the more commonly used types of stainless steels. The free-machining types (Note 2) for general corrosion resistance and high-temperature service are covered in a separate specification.
Note 1—For bars for reforging, see Specification A314.
Note 2—For free-machining stainless bars designed especially for optimum machinability, see Specification A582/A582M.
Note 3—There are standards covering high nickel, chromium, austenitic corrosion, and heat resisting alloy materials. These standards are under the jurisdiction of ASTM Subcommittee B02.07 and may be found in Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 02.04.

1.2 The values stated in inch-pound units are to be regarded as standard. The values given in parentheses are mathematical conversions to SI units that are provided for information only and are not considered standard.

85lebaront2 09-17-2014 02:14 PM

I couldn't recall the ASTM spec, most of what we did was mil spec stuff.

ArdWrknTrk 09-17-2014 02:35 PM

I'm sure.
I know a metallurgist with over 20 years at a military ordinance facility.
He's an independent contractor now.