Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Trade 06' 5.4 F250 for 06' Powerstroke F250?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/485983-trade-06-5-4-f250-for-06-powerstroke-f250.html)

LaxPlaya21 04-23-2006 01:30 AM

Trade 06' 5.4 F250 for 06' Powerstroke F250??

Hey I posted this over in the Superduty section, and felt I would have better opinions over here in the Powerstroke section. What are you guys gettin for MPG unloaded? I have a short bed supercab and am getting 10-11mpg.

"I have been debating heavily on this decision. I do realize that there are many factors in deciding whether or not this is a good idea. I have a 2006 F250 XLT with the 5.4. I love the truck, its solid, looks mean and sounds great. This engine is a pig that slurps down fuel. I wouldnt mind getting 10mpg if I were making 350hp with 500ft/lbs of torque... but I'm not.

So it looks like if I traded in my truck I would owe around $9500. I would get the identical truck with the powerstroke. Now, I would assume the diesel gets about 18-20mpg unloaded vs my 10mpg. Right now diesel is $3.19 and regular is $3.05-3.11. Doing about 12k miles a year I would save roughly $1700-1800 a year in fuel. So in around 5-6 years it would be a wash on that $9500 loss on the trade.

Now just tell me straight up if you think this is a comletley stupid move, I really could use some advice. Also if my calculations look off feel free to correct.
Thanks for the help"
Dan

kudos383 04-23-2006 02:05 AM

I get 15 to 18,and diesel is 2.71 and gas is 2.95.you'll have more mpg's and pulling power,I did the same as your thinking but mine was a 2005,it was a dog in the mountians.

TMartinLVNV 04-23-2006 11:54 AM

My unloaded MPG average is 16. This is hand calculated for over 10,000 miles so it is pretty accurate. I have hit highs in the 19's on the interstate and lows in the 13's with strictly in town driving.

05 crew cab, 4X4, 6.0

LaxPlaya21 04-23-2006 12:18 PM

Ya... I think I should just go for it. I am getting hosed on the initial depreciation but long term it looks like it is the right decision. How do you guys feel about the 6.0? Is it worth it to wait for the new powerstroke 6.4 due out in the 2008 model??

DD1684 04-23-2006 03:25 PM

Alot of the 6.0 trucks have been plagued with problems. Even a portion of '05 and '06 trucks have issues. But the truck will be warrantied so I'd go for a 6.0. Even though some are bad, there are plenty of good ones out there. Plus most of the bugs have been worked out. The 6.4 is going to cost more, and it's an introductory model, so I'd avoid it. Looks like 6.0 is the way to go!

slowmans 04-23-2006 06:48 PM

i just bought an 06 psd, love the friggin truck its the balls, i owned an 02 with the 5.4 great truck but it was ***** on fuel im getting around 16-17 right now, only have 4200 miles on truck but couldnt be happier.....i think getting the diesel will make you smile continously for a month like i did, it was like i just got laid for the first time...good luck

Painted Horse 04-23-2006 07:09 PM

Your new diesel is not going to average 18-20mpg! Yes I get 18 on long road trips. I average 14 with my daily driving, ( which includes some freeway miles). I get 12 mpg towing.

5 years ago diesel fuel for 40 cents a gallon cheaper than regular. Now it's 40 cents a gallon MORE than regular. With Ultra Low Sulfer being mandated this year, expect it to keep raising.

Don't forget the Powerstrock requires, 15 quarts of oil each oil change. Has Two fuel filters ( $100 per change unless you do it yourself) Has a very expensive air filter.

Even if you keep the truck 5 years I doubt you will ever make up the $9000 extra you are spending.

Now if you need the truck to tow or haul something. Yes the diesel is worth it.

DD1684 04-23-2006 07:33 PM

It's all about buying what you like.

LaxPlaya21 04-23-2006 08:50 PM

Thank you for the responses. The truck will be a long term vehicle. It is a work truck that I will push a 8ft Western Plow with during the winter and not much towing. I plan on having the truck for the life of the vehicle, so I guess it is a decision I will have to figure out on my own. However, I do appreciate your inputs. Thanks

Big 04-23-2006 08:59 PM

I gotta go with Painted Horse. I avg 14 hand calculated and over the life of my truck have gotten around 13.5. I have kept a lot of every drop of fuel I have put in my truck and it has never averaged better than 16 mpg on any tank. Now, I don't baby it but I certainly don't hot rod it all the time. Also, I occasionally hook up and pull the odd 6,000 to 26,000 lb load.

If you are making the move solely for the fuel savings, it is a tough move to justify. There are many, many variables to consider and each is variable. You don't know what fuel costs are going to do. You don't know that the truck you get will get 14,15,16, 18 mpg avg. Some get considerably less for no obvious reason. This goes for all makes of trucks. Plus take into consderation the 13.5 qt oil change and fuel, oil and air filters you have to buy. Finally consider if your roomates will put up with the smell of your truck. (I don't know if you have a garage, or even roomates, wife, kids, GF, dog, etc.) What will they think about the stink? I am going on a limb in thinking that you are from LA from the LAX in your moniker. Is that like the airport identifier for LA International. IF you are form SoCal, cool temps should not be a real issue but if you are from a colder clime, these truck require a whole nother level of preparation and just plan junk that you need to be aware of: block heaters, fuel additives, extended idle times, poor performance when cold just to name a few.

Look, I am not trying to talk you out of it but if you are new to diesels, you need to at least be aware of the potential down sides to them. Well, I should not say down sides, I should say potential conflicts that may arise with respect to your situation. I have had my truck for two years and it is my first diesel. It is an 03 with a Jan 31, 03 engine in it and I have had no problems. I love it. I will say that there are a LOT of times that I wish I had my SC SB 5.4 gasser over this truck. Mostly in the winter, well 99% of the time I wish that is in the winter. The only summer drawback for me is that the turbo diesels don't have the punch or snap off the line like a gasser does. But, like I said, I don't hot rod. Just sometimes it is nice to goose it and get the snap.

If the dollars are the only reason, I would think twice. These trucks are a 'pay to play' kinda deal. Weather you are running gas or fuel, they are expensive to run. The are really cool and just awesome to drive, but not by any means economical as daily drivers. Of course all of this doesn't apply to guys who really work the trucks, but from your question, I don't think you need the truck for its pulling power (which is totally ok with me.) If it were me, I would stay put with the truck you have. If in a year or two or three, you are less upside down and the fuel prices have not gone stratospheric, you may rethink it - hell wait and see if the new 6.4 is a real barn burner getting 20 mpg and emitting no pollution.

If money is no object, which it kinda sounds like that is not that case, then go for it. If you are trying to justify it with $$, I say hold tight.

Good luck with what ever you do

Big

02PSD4ME 04-24-2006 12:31 PM

My 1st Two tanks were 16.2 and 16.8 (hand Calc) this is a mix, back and forth to work, Hwy and in town driving.

F350 CC LB 4x4

Dieselhound 04-24-2006 05:46 PM

If you park your truck outside of anyone's bedroom window and leave early in the morning, you will might feel guilty waking them up with all that diesel clatter every morning. Stick with gas if you are an early riser and don't want to wake the neighbors.

jekuo 04-24-2006 06:14 PM

Buy what you like if you can afford it. Life is short. Any good vehicle will cost you one way or another. But you get what you pay for in power and torque. Nothing tows like a diesel especially for the mileage you get while doing so.

LaxPlaya21 04-24-2006 08:01 PM

All good points. Thank you for your time. I am going to take a look around at a few dealerships and see if they have any floor models with a few miles on them. If I can find a truck with a couple thousand miles on it I think I will do the trade. That way I won't take the intial depreciation hit twice. As for waking up the neighbors... I think the diesel may be quieter than my 5.4 with the magnaflow cat back haha, oh well. I guess you cant keep everyone happy.

Powerstroke_wannabe 04-24-2006 08:22 PM

Just make sure if you get a used PSD to ask for an Oasis report from the dealer to see what maintenance has been done and if there have been any problems with the truck. I'm always a little leery of low mileage used vehicles.