Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   my truck seems slow to me (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/484448-my-truck-seems-slow-to-me.html)

yamahahauler 04-17-2006 07:24 PM

my truck seems slow to me

Hi Folks,

I have a question. My truck seems slow to me. I have only had the truck for a couple of months. It is a 2000 250 with 77000 on it. The only mods that I know of are a 4 inch exhaust with no muffler and a Mac air cleaner. The 4 inch goes clear to the turbo. Also the guy that I bought it from said that he had Ford put a new turbo on it about 15000 miles ago because he thought that the old one was "leaking". Anyway it seems that it takes to long before I hear the turbo spool up. It seems to start at about 1500 rpm. Is this right? Should I have this much lag? I am thinking that maybe the 4 inch pipe has to little back pressure and that I need to adjust the wastegate, or that when they replaced the turbo they did not adjust the wastegate properly. I do not have a gauge on it but I know that I should. I get about 17.5 mpg on the highway and about 15 in town. The truck seems to run fine, just not much acceleration. Its not too bad just not quite what I think that it should be. No way that I could outrun a dodge. Thanks for your help.

PSNut 04-17-2006 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by yamahahauler
Hi Folks,

I have a question. My truck seems slow to me. I have only had the truck for a couple of months. It is a 2000 250 with 77000 on it. The only mods that I know of are a 4 inch exhaust with no muffler and a Mac air cleaner. The 4 inch goes clear to the turbo. Also the guy that I bought it from said that he had Ford put a new turbo on it about 15000 miles ago because he thought that the old one was "leaking". Anyway it seems that it takes to long before I hear the turbo spool up. It seems to start at about 1500 rpm. Is this right? Should I have this much lag? I am thinking that maybe the 4 inch pipe has to little back pressure and that I need to adjust the wastegate, or that when they replaced the turbo they did not adjust the wastegate properly. I do not have a gauge on it but I know that I should. I get about 17.5 mpg on the highway and about 15 in town. The truck seems to run fine, just not much acceleration. Its not too bad just not quite what I think that it should be. No way that I could outrun a dodge. Thanks for your help.

Try disconnecting the wastegate red pressure line. Those stock wastegates suck...they start opening around 5psi from what i understand.
Nut

cwt580 04-17-2006 07:46 PM

you may not outrun the dodge but i couple of yrs from now your ford will still be rolling. 77000 miles... its not even broke in yet!!!!!!!!!!!

mine doesnt really spool turbo until about 1500-1600. remember turbo means fuel so less MPG. how much boost have you seen. THE MOST??? id kill for 17.5 MPG.

johnny8 04-17-2006 10:07 PM

ditto what psnut said about the wastegate.. and i believe that the larger exhaust will slightly increase the turbo lag... especially if you have a 4" downpipe...