Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Have you had ford to replaced the driveshaft due to shudder? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/484392-have-you-had-ford-to-replaced-the-driveshaft-due-to-shudder.html)

YOMAN 04-17-2006 04:23 PM

Have you had ford to replaced the driveshaft due to shudder?

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

I m getting sick of kept grease driveshaft to get rid of shudder on straight or decrease speed every 8 weeks! so i gave up. it works fine but hey its NOT suppose doing that (shudder thing)!

After replaced clutch pack, greased it etc and finally They decided to replace the driveshaft but they need special order for new one to come in to replace it.

I will bring it in Ford shop this wednesday and am NERVOUS about this cuz i am afraid it might be the worst than orignail driveshaft (more vibe/shudder).

They told me that driveshaft should be solve this problem as it just updated to specifity made driveshaft for it.

My question for you, MOST recenlty replaced the driveshaft, have you noticed shudder is gone ? or is it coming back after few weeks ?? feedback your experience please..

thanks!
YOMAN!
FX4 2004 Screw

05f1fiddy 04-17-2006 08:35 PM

Just had my rear driveshaft replaced on my o5 screw under warranty...I had a bad shudder at high speeds...I have had no problems since.

New2004Lariat 04-18-2006 06:17 AM

Yes......twice.

IB Tim 04-18-2006 06:48 AM

...Welcome 05f1fiddy to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
..See you on the boards.:-X22

YOMAN 04-20-2006 05:57 PM

UPDATED!

The rear driveshaft is replaced and the shudder/ clunk on take-off only is GONE!

It sure felt different riding between GREASED w/ orignial driveshaft and new driveshaft. The new one is much BETTER!

Ford Tech told me its supposed be better than old one due to a bit different design on slip yoke area. he had done installed few driveshafts on truck and they never come back and complain.

Of course i ll keep you all update in about a month or few thousands milages later.

YOMAN!

FX4dude 04-20-2006 10:17 PM

I am having a driveshaft custom built as we speak. I was quoted 400 dollars.

At least on my truck, 2004 Screw FX4 (58K miles), these driveshafts are non-serviceable. Which means if you have a U joint that is starting to wear and get sloppy and possibly causing vibration, you have to replace the entire driveshaft.

I am replacing my driveshaft because of vibration but I don't want to go with another stock driveshaft because my truck is lifted and the mechanic says my driveshaft is 1 inch too short. I know it doesn't seem like much but an inch deeper into the transfer case means less freeplay and less vibration.

YOMAN 04-21-2006 06:55 AM

The best driveshaft custom is TOm woods http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html .

He built some driveshaft for my lifted rockcrawling jeep. Hes pretty WELL KNOW around rockcrawling community and lifted trucks

Later
YOMAN!

KevinM 04-21-2006 08:04 AM

If you read the TSB 05-26-11 for slip bump states to lubricate the slip yoke, it also states to inspect the drive shaft for signs of nickle coating falking. Flaking can be found by inserting a clean rag into the yoke, wiping the spline surfaces looking for nickle glitter. If flaking is found replace the driveshaft!

YOMAN 04-21-2006 08:51 AM

I just looked up the invoice paper by Ford tech and That TSB # is the excalty whats went on with my truck- it solved the problem FOR NOW and will see next few thousands hehe.

YOMAN!

sarivers 04-21-2006 12:18 PM

I've got a '04 SCREW that I bought new, off the lot a couple of years ago. I just had my driveshaft replaced Monday due to shudder when starting off. This is their 3rd shot at correcting my problem. First they changed the clutch packs. Next they put shims in something. Now they ordered me a new driveshaft and installed that. I felt the shudder when I drove off the lot and now it is as bad as ever. I'm to the point where I hate to even carry it back to the Ford place because I have no faith that they have any idea what to do. It is like they don't care if it is fixed after they do something, they just declare a victory if they change a part. I'm hoping now that something will fall off so they will have a better idea where to focus their work. This is not the only problem I've had with this truck. I've been very disapointed with the service that I've received from this Ford dealer. It seems like they will do about anything to sell you something but God help you when you have to go back to get something fixed.

MIKE1646 05-28-2006 08:14 PM

I have an 06 Screw 4x4 with 3700 miles it started to shudder when turning from a stop, the harder I take off the more violent it is, any ideas?

96f150 05-28-2006 08:38 PM

Mike, It sounds like you have a limited-slip diff there. The clutch packs must be really tight. I would check your rear to make sure it's up on oil, or it's up to you, bring it to the dealer its under warranty. Mine is an 06 Scab, with 3650 miles on it, sometimes I'll get the chatter on turns. If your only getting the chatter while turning, that would be my best bet, that's what it is. :-X22

nascar6dude 05-29-2006 05:57 AM

Hey Yoman - Maybe the real cause is your drive shaft angle is incorrect. A shim pack installed between the leaf springs and the axle perches will bring your driveline back to the correct angle. Ford has had to do a lot of these. Just something to think about.

YOMAN 05-29-2006 06:54 AM

Since April 19, my trucks driveshaft replaced and no shudder, its all gone!

I m happy.

YOMAN!

MIKE1646 05-29-2006 10:33 PM

Thanks 96f150, I'll chenk into that:)