Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Flathead starter problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/479028-flathead-starter-problem.html)

John - NNY 04-01-2006 02:25 PM

Flathead starter problem

I had my truck running yesterday. Went to start it today and I thought I heard a clunk. And now, nothing from the starter. Is the starter gear jammed? I hear the solinoid clicking over and the battery is OK. Can I reverse to polarity on the starter for a second or two to see if it will spin backwards? How are the flathead starters bolted on? Is it bolted to the engine by the the two long bolts through the end cap?

This is for a 12 volt, 337 CI engine in a 48 F-7.

John
NNY

4tl8ford 04-01-2006 04:48 PM

Cam you rock the truck with it in gear? That usually will release a stuck starter.
I know the smaller flathead starters are held on by the two long bolts thru the starter plus a bracket to the oil pan. CAUTION: READ THIS: STOP: DO NOT PULL THE LONG BOLTS OUT, JUST LOOSEN THEM AND REMOVE THE STARTER WITH THEM STILL THROUGH THE CASE.
The starter may have to be tilted to get the gear to release and the starter to come out.

mtflat 04-01-2006 10:30 PM

In addition to what Dick said, you can't reverse the motor no matter how you hook up the wires - it only spins one way.

Fomoko1 04-01-2006 10:45 PM

Put the transmission in first gear and push the truck backwards when trying to unlock the starter.

ALBUQ F-1 04-02-2006 08:12 AM

On the "small" (239) flatheads there is supposed to be a support bracket from under one of the long starter bolts to an oil pan bolt. It is frequently missing. That is one of the causes of starter drive hang-ups. I would guess the "big" flatty is similar.

John - NNY 04-02-2006 01:55 PM

Thanks for the great info. The F-7 is too big to push around to unstick the starter. I did see the extra starter bracket in the parts book but not on the truck. I will have another go at it today.
John
NNY

John - NNY 04-02-2006 07:14 PM

I found the problem. The wires from the starter brushes were shorting out. I just moves them to the side and it works great. The starter was fairly easy to get out. While it was out, I gave it some much needed lubrication. It spins much faster now.

Now that it is running, I noticed that half of the exhaust gasket is missing (manifold to pipe). Resurfaced the flange (lots of rust) and waiting for a new gasket.

John

ALBUQ F-1 04-02-2006 09:04 PM

Glad you got 'er going!

I highly recommend you make or buy a support bracket. The starter's weight gradually puts it at an angle to the flywheel, just not good for anything.

SteV8e 04-03-2006 09:49 AM

You don't need to need to really push it around, just get it rocking. I've unstuck the starter pinion from the ring gear on my F3 this way. Put the transmission in high gear, and push from the front to rock it. You will hear it release. You might have a bad spot on your ring gear that comes to rest near the starter pinion on occassion.