Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Hard Water / Well Water Spots (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/478858-hard-water-well-water-spots.html)

Vinheyhey 03-31-2006 09:53 PM

Hard Water / Well Water Spots

Just looking for some info on how to remove those hard water spots on all the outside window glass and mirror glass ? Tryed with windex and Mcguires wax still could not remove ?? Thanks in advance for all your input.

Vinnie M. 2004 F-150 FX4 Crewcab

FX4dude 03-31-2006 09:59 PM

Zaino Brothers glass polish. They make a complete line of products for detailing your vehicle. I buy their products online from their website.

Big-Red-Lariat 04-01-2006 05:02 AM

mix a cup of vinegar in a quart of water and use it in an old Windex bottle, and clean cloth rags rather than paper towels...smells like a chip wagon for awhile, but after 10 minutes it is fine!

charlesh 04-01-2006 07:08 AM

You might try using Meguiar's NXT generation car wash. The label claims: "Engineered water softeners leave SPOT-FREE finish." Not sure it leaves the finish entirely spot free but it does help a lot. Interestingly, the suds are almost like a lather and feel like a hand lotion. Kind of odd. But it works great.

When I finish washing my truck I take off the nozzle and just let the water run all over the truck starting with the roof. That sheets the water (mostly) and will also help with the spotting.

If you give the NXT car wash (I paid $5 at Wally World) a try and the hose trick let us know if it helps.

Chip

BlackFX4Screw 04-02-2006 06:06 AM

Go to Home depot in the cleaning isle. It's called SPOT-X hard water stain remover. Its a powder that you have to make into a paste. real messy but its the only way to get them off. Goto the cleanup and detail section on this web site I have a long post on this subject.

Dazz 04-02-2006 09:04 AM

I saw this question recently on another Web, and I will give the same reply.

Vinegar is the best and cheapest method for removing water residue. You can even cleanse your auto coffee pot by running a pint of vinegar through the coffee cycle a couple of times and this will remove the water chemical build up that may of plugged your coffee maker.

When washing a vehicle always squirt the hose on past washed surfaces. This keeps the water soluble until one can apply a wiping towel. This will eliminate water residue. If you wash your vehicle in 110º degree sun and cannot wash fast enough, then do the windows with a mix of vinegar/water, followed by only a watered towel and wipe to eliminate the vinegar order. Cheap and effective.

exiled 04-02-2006 10:59 AM

i add vinger to my bucket of water and soap. i use vinger and water mix in the old windex bottle but i use newspaper to wipe the windows with.

Biggziff 04-02-2006 07:20 PM

Bought that Mister Clean car wash thingy with the filter built into it. Works perfectly for me. We have very hard water in our well also.

toypuller 04-03-2006 04:59 AM

If they are fresh then they are just spots and can be removed fairly easily.

If they have been there for a while then they "etch" into the window and are much harder to get rid of. One thing I have found that seems to work is ceramic stove top cleaner. Apply lightly and buff by hand like car wax. Use sparingly and keep away from the rubber and plastic.

the4by4freek 04-03-2006 07:52 AM

I just dealt with this on Sun. I got some Glass Scrub. It is made by glass science. My wifes 05 Sorento was a left over sitting on the lot. The paint was contaminated with airborne crap and the glass looked terrible. Clay bar fixed the paint.... it is now perfect! This glass scrub is awesome! Right after you wash the vehicle apply this to a cloth and buff the windows out while they are still wet. Rinse and repeat if necessary. It leaves the glass perfect and in flawless condition. I did all the windows on hers, 9 total plus the windshield. I purchased it at a local auto shop that olso sells paint and body supplies. They said it was the best and easiest on the market. It is in a black bottle with green letters. About $9 and has the consistency of thinned out toothpaste.

TWellmann 04-04-2006 10:56 AM

I replaced my cold (hard) water spigot with a hot/cold water combo (about $45 at Menards). Not only do I get warm water but it is also softened.

I left the cold water line hooked up to the unsoftened water so I can still use it for outdoor use without running it through my water softener first.

exiled 04-05-2006 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TWellmann
I replaced my cold (hard) water spigot with a hot/cold water combo (about $45 at Menards). Not only do I get warm water but it is also softened.

I left the cold water line hooked up to the unsoftened water so I can still use it for outdoor use without running it through my water softener first.

thats pretty cool idea there. i guess you had to come off a hot water line from your water heater.

TWellmann 04-06-2006 12:01 PM

Yes...tapping into a hot water pipe was not a problem because my basement is unfinished.

I find it much easier to wash my truck with warm/hot water than just cold water...the soap does a much better job cutting the dirt and grime when it's warm.

azfordowner 04-06-2006 07:12 PM

For glass you can use a porcelan (sp) polish, its basically same as rainex. I did se a car wash by I think Coral that was supposed to soften the water and make it less spotty when dried.

exiled 04-07-2006 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TWellmann
Yes...tapping into a hot water pipe was not a problem because my basement is unfinished.

I find it much easier to wash my truck with warm/hot water than just cold water...the soap does a much better job cutting the dirt and grime when it's warm.

yea, i was just thinking how simple that would be. just run a pipe from the nearest hotwater line. kinda stinks i did'nt think about it first.