Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum67/)
-   -   Rustoleum Auto paint (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/477883-rustoleum-auto-paint.html)

Marc150 03-29-2006 06:12 AM

Rustoleum Auto paint

Well, I was at the walmart yesterday and I saw Rustoleum has auto paint(never noticed it before). All says it has high UV resistance, and has everything I would need to paint my truck. They also have a cold galvenizing spray, says it eliminates rust. Does it really prevent/eliminate rust, and would it serve as a good primer?? Im gonna strip the whole truck of paint and do a rattle can job, and its never gonna see another winter so would this rustoleum auto pant do the job?? Any tips/suggestions for painting it and any common problems.

teds74ford 03-29-2006 08:50 AM

I have an entire truck that is rustoleum. I just used their regular paint, though. I sprayed rustoleum clear to help with UV protection, but the clear dries fast and turned out ugly. I am real happy with the results overall. I painted it about 2 years ago, and it sits outside all the time, and still looks good. I will definitely do another truck with rustoleum. Unfortunately, I don't know about the galvanizing spray. As with any paint job, prep is key. I stripped it all to bare metal before spraying.

SuperSnake 03-29-2006 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Marc150
Well, I was at the walmart yesterday and I saw Rustoleum has auto paint(never noticed it before). All says it has high UV resistance, and has everything I would need to paint my truck. They also have a cold galvenizing spray, says it eliminates rust. Does it really prevent/eliminate rust, and would it serve as a good primer?? Im gonna strip the whole truck of paint and do a rattle can job, and its never gonna see another winter so would this rustoleum auto pant do the job?? Any tips/suggestions for painting it and any common problems.

Post some pictures I'd like to see how it turns out.

Marc150 03-29-2006 08:48 PM

Hopefully if the weather keeps its trend, I'll be painting soon. I'll def post some pics, cause then the truck will be all done!!

DarkWolf40 04-07-2006 09:27 AM

It seems like a bad idea to strip all the old paint off. I mean, thats already a good base for holding new paint. I'd just sand and prep but not take it down to bare metal. Of course doing the whole truck with rattle cans is not a great way to paint a truck either. It just won't hold up compaired to proper "catylized" auto paint

teds74ford 04-08-2006 09:05 AM

Yes and no. I stripped mine down to bare metal to make sure it was done the way I wanted. Rattle cans can't hold a candle to automotive paint, but you can still do a good job. I painted a set of rims that are still on a truck here. That was 7 years ago. My truck's paint job is now 2 1/2 years old, and sits outside all the time, and still looks good when it is washed. The key is prep. IF the paint that Marc is spraying over is good, then you are right, it would be fine to spray over it. I didn't want to chance it.
All that being said, I could have saved money by buying a spray gun. That many cans are expensive. I probably could have bought real automotive paint too :-X15 You live and learn...

roger dowty 04-12-2006 01:05 AM

You can buy a spray gun for under $15.00 and a gallon of single step acrylic enamel for $35.00.

Know anyone with an air compressor. If you can make a truck look decent with rattle cans you can do a great job with a cheap gun.

teds74ford 04-12-2006 08:48 AM

Yeah, that's what I am getting at. I would still have the gun too :-X15

bigbrown84truck 04-12-2006 09:44 AM

i've heard some say they've had problems with the cold galvanizing primer not allowing paint to stick to it well if you don't rough sand the galvanizing. i would do high risk areas such as cab corners and and wheel wells with the galvanizing and just use regular gray primer on the rest. but for the price of all those damn rattle cans u can pick up a cheap spray gun for 20 bucks, a compressor good enough to use the gun for under 100 or just borrow a friends compressor and get the paint cheap. when ur done you will still have a spray gun and possibly a compressor, it will be a better job, and you won't have to dispose of about 25 rattle cans. if though u decide you must go with rattle cans pick up the little can gun thing that clips to the top of the rattle can and makes it a trigger for the paint release, makes it go smoother and ur fingers don't get so tired, also u don't have to worry about screwing up the paint finish by spraying ur own index finger while spraying.

fozzy 04-13-2006 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=roger dowty]You can buy a spray gun for under $15.00 and a gallon of single step acrylic enamel for $35.00.
QUOTE]

WHat gun for $15? I need one gun that will do primer and single stage paint. 1.8mm (primer) and 1.4mm (acrylic enamel).

PS Can you spray acrylic enamel over epoxy enamel primer?

Sorry for hijacking thread :-wink

jimlj 04-14-2006 07:33 AM

Look on ebay for cheep paint guns. They are not pro quality but you can get a better paint job with them than you can with rattle cans.

gdub 04-24-2006 01:58 PM

Here's an interesting thread on Painting with rustoleum.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...&fpart=15&vc=1

fud24682000 05-29-2006 11:10 AM

The link that gdub mentions is related to another one that 69charger in Canada started a while back on the mopar site, "$50 paint job." Basically, this is the Alleyboy system using hand application. Results depend on finesse.
However the results from the U.S. Rustoleum don't appear to be as good as from the Canadian version.
Ray Mac

mississauga 06-03-2006 07:16 AM

Try Harbour Freight Tools on the net for cheap spray guns. I have painted snow blowers and wheel barrows with regular Tremclad paint.I have had good results and the Tremclad clear is pretty good also. When I sprayed them I used laquer thinner to reduce the paint to spray. It worked very well and It has been 5 years since I painted the snow blower and the paint is still holding up.

juicegeorgia 04-07-2009 10:06 AM

wherer can you get a gallon of auto paint from