Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum52/)
-   -   Inline 6 4.9L rebuild (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/477338-inline-6-4-9l-rebuild.html)

coldnorthpole 03-27-2006 06:12 PM

Inline 6 4.9L rebuild

Hey guys,
Do you know what it typically costs to rebuild an Inline 6 engine?

amish77 03-27-2006 09:03 PM

I think that you can buy a basic rebuild kit for something like 800 bucks. The real cost in a quality build is the machining. Get the thing blueprinted and straightened out b4 you build her. Make sure that the people doing it will bore ALL THE CYLINDERS THE SAME. This is one of the major differences between a quality build and a mediocre to crappy one. The machinist should go and bore out the cylinder that needs the most to straighten it out, then bore the rest to that diameter. Don't go cheap and just have ittorn down and new seals, gaskets, and rings put in. get it machined right. The cost of this will depend on the shops that you go to, so check the local machinists, and see what they want, and will do for it. Sorry if this dosen't help you too much, but it really depends on the machinist.

coldnorthpole 03-28-2006 12:36 AM

Hey, thanks for the information.

I would like to keep the inline 6 in my truck. I love that motor.

I am thinking I'll be able to get another few years out of it before a rebuild.

SR_Crewchief 03-28-2006 08:04 AM

To put it mildly, cost is proportional to your ability and willingness to do the work.

That said...

It also depends on what work is needed and what you plan, as well as what needs, to be replaced.

As an example Rock Auto has a rebuild kit (mostly Sealed Power parts) for $600 that includes:
main/rod/cam bearings
stock cam(with lifters)
timing gears (metal?)
rings
full gasket set
Brass expansion plugs (freeze plugs)
oil pump
cast pistons

This is just a starting list. It wouldn't be hard to push the parts to well over $1200. You'll note that this doesn't include any head or block machining.

If you have a shop do all the work expect the bill to start around $2000 for a basic job and climb from there. If your willing and able to do the lions share of the work and just have the machine work done then you could cut the costs way down. It's all dependent on your skills and willingness.

OrdoDraconis 03-28-2006 12:03 PM

i got my rebuild from Rebuild Kits

these dude have a good kit and there customer service is great plus you can add and remove from the kit if needed i blevieve the kit is under 400 bucks.

Col Flashman 03-28-2006 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by coldnorthpole
Hey guys,
Do you know what it typically costs to rebuild an Inline 6 engine?

The absolutely FIRST thing you need to do is get the Block Manaflux'd to make sure it's not cracked is some manner, after that a Standard rebuild by a Competent builder is $1,500.00 - $1,800.00.
To B&B & P&P build starts @ around $2,500.00, though you can just have the shop do all the Machining required & do the rest of the build yourself.

309Ford 03-28-2006 08:57 PM

When I did mine twelve years ago I had the machining work done by a build shop, then assembled and installed everything myself. 1000-1100 dollars. And I mean really rebuilt. Head milled, bored, crank turned, main bearings, pistons, etc. etc.

You might figure prices have gone up a bit since then.

coldnorthpole 03-29-2006 01:21 AM

The only problem here is I am no mechanic by a long stretch.

I will need to have the entire rebuild done by someone.
So by the looks of this, its going to be pretty spendy. Cheaper than buying a new car though. And I love my truck. They sure as hell do not make them like they used to....

amish77 03-29-2006 09:24 AM

yeah and properly re-built you've got at least another quarter million miles left in that motor. They just don't quit.

coldnorthpole 03-29-2006 01:25 PM

Another reason why I wish Ford still built these motors.....

Col Flashman 03-29-2006 01:35 PM

No, not spendy @ all for a Basic build @ 1,500.00-$1,800.00.
You could Order a Remanufactured 1 for around $1,200.00, but then you've to pay S&H.

amish77 03-29-2006 07:53 PM

ahh colonel therein lies one of the reasons to get in good with the boss. "pick up a freight package for 'ya? Sure!" cuts the freight charges in half.

coldnorthpole 10-05-2006 05:28 PM

And shipping and handling to Alaska is probably a fortune.....