Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   excessive white smoke (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/476625-excessive-white-smoke.html)

vinnybumperino 03-25-2006 08:59 PM

excessive white smoke

although it seems to be running ok, my 05 f-250 is smoking way too much at idle when warm and belches big puffs at take-off. smoke cloud is distinctly white and has off odor (not the typ. diesel smell). i got recall notice 05E15 and initially ignored it because a)i've added some aftermarket mods (edge juice w/ attitude + magnaflow 4"+ air raid + sct flash) & b)at that time truck was not smoking abnormally or otherwise acting up. then seemingly overnite its suddenly smoking like crazy! so i reluctantly take it in for the factory re-program (after disconnecting the juice) and here i am still smoking like a chimney. dealer says give it 100 mi to break-in but i'm skeptical. needless to say, people around me a traffic stops are not happy, nor am i. what does the excessive white smoke mean. what will fix it? new egr valve? hfcm? please advise

big inch 03-25-2006 09:33 PM

That is most likely the EGR cooler leaking coolant into the exhaust. Have you checked the coolant level lately?

IB Tim 03-26-2006 05:33 AM

...Welcome vinny to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.
Must read if you own a 6.0
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=325000

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.:-X22

gmhorse 03-26-2006 07:59 AM

I had this problem shortly after puchasing an 05 with 16k miles on it. From reading here I thought I had a blown head gasket or a leaky egr cooler. Mine mostly smoked at each red light leaving a big puff of white smoke on take off. After 2 tanks ( from 2 diff gas stations: both did same thing) the smoke quit. I read in the manual that getting air in the lines from a fuel filter change could cause white smoke. Thinking maybe they replaced the fuel filters just before i bought the truck. So the question is, have you changed your fuel filters recently, maybe allowing air in the fuel lines?

vinnybumperino 03-27-2006 09:40 PM

fuel filters haven't been messed w/ that i know of. truck has under 11k on it. i'm looking at going back to the dealer & having them troubleshoot it for head gasket, air in fuel lines & egr valve. what was your solution? coolant level seems to be ok although there was some evidence of blow off from reservoir

gmhorse 03-29-2006 03:50 PM

My solution was just to run a couple tanks of fuel through it and it cleared up on its own.
Thats why I figure it was just some air in my lines from a fuel filter change. Was hoping yours might be as well. GL on that troubleshooting and keep us informed.

nonnivett 03-29-2006 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by gmhorse
I had this problem shortly after puchasing an 05 with 16k miles on it. From reading here I thought I had a blown head gasket or a leaky egr cooler. Mine mostly smoked at each red light leaving a big puff of white smoke on take off. After 2 tanks ( from 2 diff gas stations: both did same thing) the smoke quit. I read in the manual that getting air in the lines from a fuel filter change could cause white smoke. Thinking maybe they replaced the fuel filters just before i bought the truck. So the question is, have you changed your fuel filters recently, maybe allowing air in the fuel lines?

Did you have any trouble with your engine,did it run normaly or or was it like it was runing on 6 cyl but not all 8?

gmhorse 03-29-2006 06:50 PM

no i never had a power prob or any trouble with the motor.....just the big white smoke cloud mostly after accelerating after sitting at a red light

vinnybumperino 03-30-2006 05:40 PM

huh, exactly my issue- lotta smoke sitting at red lights, then big cloud at take off even at normal accel. no power drop or sputtering issues. dealer has checked for head gasket-ok, egr valve-ok, says if it had air in fuel lines it should purge itself. i'll put a couple of tanks thru it and see. i have a fuel additive i use w/ 5% cetane, maybe that'll help. here's hopin'

flyMike 03-30-2006 06:06 PM

I had this exact problem. The last recall, which included replacing the EGR sensor resolved the issue...unless it is the Edge Juice w/Attitude which I also HAD installed prior to the recall...I have not yet re-installed it. I'm hoping it was the EGR sensor that did the trick...not the Edge kit. I'll let you know if it comes back after I re-conenct the Edge. When you brought it in...did they replace the sensor? If not, you might ask them to try that... Also, does it still do it with the Edge removed?

flyMike 03-30-2006 06:09 PM

Oh, one more note....after the last recall/reflash..actually I did reconnect the Edge...but when I was taking off from lights it shifted so hard that I thought someone rear ended me. I have heard from others on this board that you need to reteach teh tranny...byt that basically, put the edge in the mode you use most often and drive the truck. it will recal itself on the fly as you drive it...you need to run it through the gears 20~30 times before verything should settle down...so they say. I hope they are right. It was really shifting bad. I thought the tranny was going to drop out of the truck it was that bad...

nonnivett 03-30-2006 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by flyMike
Oh, one more note....after the last recall/reflash..actually I did reconnect the Edge...but when I was taking off from lights it shifted so hard that I thought someone rear ended me. I have heard from others on this board that you need to reteach teh tranny...byt that basically, put the edge in the mode you use most often and drive the truck. it will recal itself on the fly as you drive it...you need to run it through the gears 20~30 times before verything should settle down...so they say. I hope they are right. It was really shifting bad. I thought the tranny was going to drop out of the truck it was that bad...

I have the same proplem with my truck when I took the Edge out.
My truck allso started to smoke white with The Edge instaled.
But I have no clue why He is smoking white :mad:

vinnybumperino 03-30-2006 09:48 PM

my rig did the same hard shifting. even after what i felt was a sufficient break-in period for the edge. its pretty disconcerting. i spoke to a diesel tech who advised me to get the sct tuner with a code that i flashed my obd with & that dialed it in for the most part. very rarely shifts hard anymore. but regarding the white smoke, my truck's at the dealer right now with the edge removed and i'm afraid he's gonna say he doesn't know what else he can do. i'm gonna have him look at the egr cooler specifically, and the injectors based on what i've read here. any other ideas out there? is it poss to have a blown head gasket or malfunctioning egr that doesn't trip their diagnostic equipment?

big inch 03-30-2006 10:01 PM

There is a procedure for checking the egr cooler which involves removing the egr valve, pressurizing the cooling system, jacking the rear of the truck up and watching for coolant in the intake (where the egr valve is). There is also a procedure for checking the head gaskets, but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.

nonnivett 03-31-2006 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by big inch
There is a procedure for checking the egr cooler which involves removing the egr valve, pressurizing the cooling system, jacking the rear of the truck up and watching for coolant in the intake (where the egr valve is). There is also a procedure for checking the head gaskets, but it doesn't sound like that is your problem.

Where is the EGR valve located?