Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   6637 Cover (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/476325-6637-cover.html)

SpringerPop 03-25-2006 12:27 AM

6637 Cover

1 Attachment(s)
Somebody today mentioned that his Outerwears cover was on order, and it got me thinking that with a little effort I could fabricate something that would do essentially the same thing. Why own a Singer if you don't use it once in a while?

I decided that two layers of open-weave "stretch" polyester fabric would keep the leaves and bigger particles of sand away from my 6637 air filter. I wanted it in basic black, too. It matches most everything.

Having a fabric store a mile away was a big plus, and going in there like a "know-nothing guy" got me a lot of help finding stuff I needed.

About an hour's putzin' with it got me the results pictured below. I'm kinda' proud of it, too. Cost me $7.34, including special needles for use with polyester, poly thread, and the fabric itself (which was only $2.50).

If anybody's interested in having Momma make 'em one, it's 1/2 yard of Jo-Ann Fabrics #7970528 polyester, "ball-point" #14 needles, and all-purpose black thread. It's 12 inches wide to provide a little overlap on the ends.

We'll see how it lasts. Outerwears suggests replacing theirs every year. Hope mine lasts longer. http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...lies/smile.gif

Pop

Bird Dog 03-25-2006 12:40 AM

Nice job POP!

I have just used extra large nylons. (They come in quite an assortment of colors too)! I replace the nylons about every 5000 miles. It just keeps the big stuff from getting to the filter. Somtimes I just vacuum it off instead of replacing it. Learned the nylon trick while racing my Banshee at the dunes.

So how much was the fabric?

SpringerPop 03-25-2006 12:47 AM

The fabric was a half-yard, $2.50. If you've got needles (special "ball-point") and thread already, it's a two-fifty job, with an hour's measuring, pinning, masking taping, sewing, etc. I threw away the excess fabric, but there wasn't a lot, maybe 25 percent.

And it's double-layered. I ran some water splash-tests on the excess, and while not water-proof, it is somewhat resistant.

Hmmmm, maybe some ScotchGuard next.....

Pop

Bird Dog 03-25-2006 12:53 AM

So would you consider this "POP Mod" washable & reusable? How do you think the fabric will hold up?

cookie88 03-25-2006 12:55 AM

Had a chance to drive it yet, and do you use the filter minder? Any change in EGT's or other noticeable restricton?

SpringerPop 03-25-2006 01:10 AM

No, it's still sitting in the driveway for the night. I'll test drive it in the morning and let you know, though with the motor stone-stock, performance-wise, it's unlikely there will be any difference.

If you look at the right end of the filter, you'll see the very edge of my FilterMinder. It's stuck in the end of the filter, as that's the location with no venturi-effect vacuum to offset the Minder's readings. We'll know something if THAT starts indicating.

Pop

cookie88 03-25-2006 02:23 AM

That's why I asked. I 'tawt I 'taw a filter minder....but couldn't quite tell.

mama's sewing machine broke...wanna make me one? I'll do some modified engine testing for ya'. :D

jrciii56 03-25-2006 07:37 AM

I did my first mod last night. I did the kwik filter mod. I could not believe how much a filter can effect the overall performance of the engine. I love the new whistle sound of the engine inhaling all that air. I have not tested it enough to see if I will get any better MPG from the filter. What have been your results? I think I will go with a exhaust system next to free the engine up even more. I like the looks of the cover it may something I put on my truck.

maevans 03-25-2006 08:10 AM

Hello Pop - Nice job, and i would like to order a Pop Mod in red. send me a invoice. L.O.L.

PowerstrokeJunkie 03-25-2006 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by maevans
Hello Pop - Nice job, and i would like to order a Pop Mod in red. send me a invoice. L.O.L.

aight, you just did it! now its officially the "Pop" mod, and i'd like a blue one. i'd pay you.

Kwikkordead 03-25-2006 09:19 AM

That's a great idea!
Does that material stretch a little so you can make it a touch undersize and then stretch it ever the filter?

SpringerPop 03-25-2006 10:23 AM

Kwik,

Yea. That's why I chose a "stretch" polyester. It's like the stuff that pants were made of back in the '70's and early 80's (remember?).

I made it 12 inches long, to give the ends just a bit of overlap, then wound it around the filter tight to determine the fit. I could have used (pi x D) and calculated the length to sew, but I wasn't thinking when I did it.

To get the size somewhat accurate, I pinned the two layers together initially, and then laid out the stitching lines with blue masking tape to reduce the "messyness" of working with fabric. After the sewing of the two layers together, I pulled off the tape, trimmed off the excess in width only, and turned it inside out to make the hems look nice. Then I wrapped it around my filter's circumference, taped and pinned it in the correct length, peeled it off the filter and stitched it into a cylinder. After that final stitch was made, I turned it inside out and cut off the excess. When I put it back over the filter, I had to stretch it just a little, but that's what the fabric does. Done.

When it went back on, it fit real nice. It's not necessary for it to fit real tight, as all it does it keep stuff from getting to the filter's surface.

Pop

Kwikkordead 03-25-2006 11:00 AM

I wouldn't have used Pi either. I would have gone around it with a string. Math and I don't see eye to eye for much.
So have you driven it yet?

SpringerPop 03-25-2006 02:32 PM

Yup. I can't tell a difference in "go" or sound.

Guess that makes it a "non-mod"? http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...lies/smile.gif

Pop

PowerstrokeJunkie 03-25-2006 02:43 PM

what about the Craven mod? the CCV mod? the AIH mod? they all dont add horsepower so to speak, but it is all mods that 'Enthusiasts do. im going to have to get me a Pop mod.