Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   CPS Failures (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/476059-cps-failures.html)

PSNut 03-24-2006 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Nut,

Done with the greatest of care to maintain electrical separation, that is the winning combination, I believe.

It remains to be seen over the long-haul, however.

Pop

I put a very thin limited coating on each conductor.Usually high current applications with big terminals and no chance on shorting as i'm aware of that fact. Works good on the two prongs on my block heater plug at the orange plug.
Nut

piotrsko 03-24-2006 06:52 PM

MY $.02, not to be trusted since we DID blow up the entire rocket site: In my case the coil became temperature intermittent while the connector end stayed decently clean. Apparently the manufacturer didn't pot the thing properly (?) and I had some heat expansion / contraction going on in the sensor head. Now I am thinking coil, but there could be electronics inside that the VTVM didn't see. The device wasn't unidirectional for impedence when I checked it. Took a bit if wrangling to pry it from the Ford Mech's hand to test it, but......

My experiences with Hall effect transducers is that they tend to be very sensitive to the amount of air gap, with 70's DODGEs being famous for their early electronic distributors failing for an air gap of .010 instead of .006. Most of all the other Hall effect devices I've used need to see about .003 to .010 to properly register the timing event. .026, which I understand to be the gap in the Ford/Navistar seems to be really huge unless they expect the CAM to walk back and forth that much. My other experiences with them says they tend to be rather on the fragile side, not liking conditions contained under the hood.

How about a mod for an infarred optical sensor? Infarred for the occasional oil splash.

jenmarent 03-25-2006 11:50 PM

NHTSA Open File on Ford Trucks

Pop You Might want to keep this in mind also

NHTSA Investigates Ford Trucks for Stalling Problems

March 3, 2006
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating seven Ford truck models from 1999 to 2001 because of complaints of engine stalls without warning.

The stalling cause diminished steering and braking ability and has contributed to at least three minor crashes.

As many as 700,000 trucks are potentially involved in the probe, including the E Series Super Duty, Excursion, F Series Super Duty, F-250 SD, F-350 SD, F250 Super Duty and F350 Super Duty.

NHTSA has received complaints from 31 consumers alleging engine stalling because of a failure of the camshaft position sensor.

In many cases the engine would not restart or restarted and stalled immediately.

Consumers reported to NHTSA that once the engine stalled the vehicles were difficult to control because of diminished steering and braking ability.

NHTSA plans to establish the scope and frequency of the engine stalling as well as safety implications and consequences.

WWW.CONSUMERAFFAIRS.COM<O:p></O:p>

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Don J<O:p></O:p>

SpringerPop 03-26-2006 12:38 AM

Yea,

We'll see.........

Pop

MobeyDick 03-26-2006 01:35 AM

Never had one go bad. 31 compliants out of 3,100,000 sold sounds like one hell of a problem!!

simms63ss 03-26-2006 07:54 AM

cps failure

MD, why complain? Ford isn't going to say "Ok we will replace it for FREE!". Consumers take this as part of normal wear, if we like it or not. If everyone complained about it, I'm sure it would be more than 31 people. I for one close to 2 times in 55,000 miles.I'm going to check out Pop's suggestion I think mine is trying to go out now.

jeff

kawika 03-26-2006 08:19 AM

I work with fiber optics allot and find that when we see high attenuation on the fiber, that it is usually a dirty connector. Pull apart the connector and spray with compressed air, replace it and retest. Most times it works. Sometimes the foreign object is stubborn and has to be manually cleaned (the surface of the fiber). When you pull apart the CPS connector, spray it with compressed air to remove any dust or debris. You do realize that if you have any grease on the pins, that dirt and debris have a chance to “stick” to the grease.

jeffdoerr 04-02-2006 05:15 PM

OK. Found my problem. After changing the $200 CPS, the truck still would not start. After spending a few days at the shop, It ended up being a $550 repair bill. Some sensor on the injection pump failed. Tiny thing, cost $300, the rest was labor and minor parts.

qman 04-03-2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MobeyDick
Never had one go bad. 31 compliants out of 3,100,000 sold sounds like one hell of a problem!!

The NHTSA doesn't investigate something on 31 ordinary old complaints. They must have 31 almost killed someone type of complaints. The article does say due to "decreased handling and braking" which is what does happen when your engine dies. In the poll done here a couple weeks ago there was some 80-90 folks who said theirs died. And a handful of them gave details on how their incident could have caused major harm to someone. So it's not just 31 "whiny" complaints. It's 31 complaints about something that could have had serious consequences. If you ever go look at the NHTSA website for your vehicle, there are tons on complaints. It's the serious ones that NHTSA investigates.

dagren99 04-03-2006 02:21 PM

Nhtsa

I'll be adding a complaint to the NHTSA's website shortly - I had a CPS die on me while towing 10K - Engine died as I was coming up to a red light. Life got real interesting trying to steer & brake w/o the power assist. Luckily for me I had slowed down early due to what I was towing but, it was still hairy anyway. It could have been really bad if I hadn't slowed up earlier while coming off of the interstate. As it was I stopped about 4ft from the back of the car in front of me after locking up the trailer brakes w/ the controller at the end because I thought I wasn't going to stop in time.

DG

PSNut 04-03-2006 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by dagren99
I'll be adding a complaint to the NHTSA's website shortly - I had a CPS die on me while towing 10K - Engine died as I was coming up to a red light. Life got real interesting trying to steer & brake w/o the power assist. Luckily for me I had slowed down early due to what I was towing but, it was still hairy anyway. It could have been really bad if I hadn't slowed up earlier while coming off of the interstate. As it was I stopped about 4ft from the back of the car in front of me after locking up the trailer brakes w/ the controller at the end because I thought I wasn't going to stop in time.

DG

Ouch DG! We need a backup power system to kick-in on engine failure and provide emergency steering/braking control.

quikf250 04-03-2006 04:57 PM

Pop,
I realize I'm new 'round these parts...but I've noticed my the engine hesistation and it's stalled on me twice. Once on the freeway driving from Texas to California. On the throttle at 65%, let off to slow, and engine stalled...I instantly flipped the key off, then restarted it, while going 75mph. Hairy to say the least.
The other time same throttle postions, on over half, took it off and stalled. Luckly I was only going about 10mph.
I'm going to try the Blue CPS out. I'll let ya know on the install...

jtharvey 04-03-2006 05:24 PM

Before you go get a new CPS, try this. Just unplug the connection to the sensor and plug it back in 3 or 4 times. Pop's got a new theory that the CPS may not be failing, but just have a dirty connection at the plug. By unplugging it and plugging it back in a few times, you'll help to clean the contacts. Try that, and post your results. You may end up saving yourself some $$$ too!

PSNut 04-03-2006 05:27 PM

Some contact cleaner spray may be a good thing too.

ramsmoker 04-03-2006 05:55 PM

Cps

I like pop's theory. That could make a day and nite differance to the strength of the signal. But do keep up the complaints to the NHTSA. No recall was ever won by a few.