Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   95 Bronco in line fuel filter quick disconnect question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/475897-95-bronco-in-line-fuel-filter-quick-disconnect-question.html)

Alta 03-23-2006 08:59 PM

95 Bronco in line fuel filter quick disconnect question

So I thought Id do a little PM and replace the in line fuel filter on my 95 Bronco (351). The book wasnt clear on how the "quick disconnect" fittings disconnect and I basically ripped the old filter out of the fittings. When I did this some interesting little metal retaining pieces came out too - not without a little help however.

So now I have these quick disconnect fittings that the new filter just slides in and out of easily. I re-installed the metal clips that snap over the fuel line and fuel fitler tubes but these really dont look like they serve any purpose. Also the white plastic retaining clips that came with the filter seem equally useless.

So what Id like to know is did I destroy the quick disconnects or is there something Im missing about the plastic horse shoe shaped clips that came with the filter.?

Im feeling rather discouraged having been beat by a fuel filter and also taking a significant hit on the nose with a mag light in the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

okst1 03-23-2006 09:07 PM

To remove the fuel filter, you are supposed to use an "air conditioner and fuel filter removal tool". I think you just cost yourself some big bucks to replace the fuel lines but I could be wrong.

yamaweezle 03-23-2006 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alta
So what Id like to know is did I destroy the quick disconnects or is there something Im missing about the plastic horse shoe shaped clips that came with the filter?

the plastic horseshoe retainers are for a different type of fuel line fitting...the retainers you have are most likely ruined, since they require a special tool (which can be obtained at any auto parts store) to release them...i can't think of a fix for your present problem, other than replacing the fuel lines...maybe someone else has run across this, and has come up with something...good luck...

aurgathor 03-24-2006 02:22 AM

You probably ruined the quick disconnect fittings. Ask Napa or a Ford service if there is a cheaper remedy than buying a full fuel line.

1pump 03-24-2006 07:38 AM

[QUOTE]I re-installed the metal clips that snap over the fuel line and fuel fitler tubes but these really dont look like they serve any purpose.

Those are a safety thing that Ford added after some recalls back in the 80's. All they do is keep your fuel lines from spraying all over the place in the event of a connector failure.

As as far as the fittings go, you might have just ruined the garter springs. They're the same ones that A/C lines use, so most parts stores have them. Just get the right size. Cheaper than trying to replace a fuel line.

Alta 03-24-2006 09:26 AM

sounds good - I'll track down the garter springs - Ive learned a lot on this little job - I dont know why they ad tocomlicate everylittl part on the vehicle - it is just a fuel filter! After rebuildng a dozen or so engines over the years, seting up diferentials, fixing transmissions, and dong frame up resoratons, I really thought I could handle a fuel filter....sheeeeeesh!

BroncoRoadKill 03-24-2006 09:37 AM

Maybe while your at the parts store looking for the springs, get a ac fuel line disconect tool, but get the metal one that scissors for different sizes. Most cars use this nowadays.

poffutt 03-24-2006 10:21 AM

you can always buy some fuel line rubber tubing and some clamps and just rig it up.

1pump 03-24-2006 10:30 AM

you can always buy some fuel line rubber tubing and some clamps and just rig it up.

IMHO, not a good idea. The fuel pressure is too high. The lines have to be crimped, kinda like a hydraulic hose.

poffutt 03-24-2006 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1pump
IMHO, not a good idea. The fuel pressure is too high. The lines have to be crimped, kinda like a hydraulic hose.

Thanks for that info. I didn't realize the pressure is that high... my bad!

Alta 03-24-2006 11:08 AM

this thing actually has braided stainlss lines and fancy heavy duty high pressure connectors - looks like $$ to me but being who I am I went ahead and forced the issue anyway. Im on a mission to find garter sping clips now....I shall prevail!

Alta 03-25-2006 11:09 AM

4 bux at napa and all is well...live nad learn. next time I'll use the tool that makes the quick disconnects quick disconnects - lovely system!

geoaigel 03-25-2006 06:13 PM

Spring in for some plier style tools, not the plastic cylinders that you have no leverage with.

George

Alta 04-04-2006 02:10 PM

Since I'll own this and other fords with this system for the rest of my life I thiink I'll just do that.

RT

tomMig 08-21-2006 09:59 PM

doe s any body know if you can change the fitting that the filter goes into