Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum146/)
-   -   Used Trans fluid for fuel! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/469874-used-trans-fluid-for-fuel.html)

j250hd 03-07-2006 08:47 PM

Used Trans fluid for fuel!

I just drove my cousins 01 PSD on 4 gallons of diesel and 28 of used trans fluid. It seemed to get very similar milage though however it felt like it lost some get up and go power. Anyone one here had more experience than 1 tank? If so what were your thoughts and experiences. 4 guys at a ford dealership have been doing for 4 years now no problems! CANT BEAT FREE FUEL!!!

rusty70f100 03-07-2006 11:01 PM

I'd make sure there is no metal or other debris in that stuff before running it. I'd think about running it through some kind of magnet and a filter.

73F100*8Mile 03-28-2006 09:47 PM

so just to make sure i'm not missing anything, you mixed the 28 gallons of tranny with 4 gal of diesel? and the only difference noticed is just little less low end? how bout those fuel filters?? they can't be lasting that long can they?

jimandmandy 03-30-2006 10:31 AM

I know someone who mixes ATF with diesel in his old 6.2L Chevy. The Stanadyne injector pumps used to die often. ATF adds lubricity and he has had zero pump problems. At normal temperatures, diesel engines can burn just about anything.

Jim

fordboy_52 03-30-2006 11:14 AM

we usually dump one quart of atf in with ever other tank of deisel in our tractors and combines

Matt

73F100*8Mile 04-01-2006 03:25 PM

does this cause any sludge buildup in the fuel filter?

j250hd 04-06-2006 06:12 PM

Have not checked yet. We only use a tank about every ten days so will let you know when we change them.

Bart99GT 04-13-2006 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 73F100*8Mile
does this cause any sludge buildup in the fuel filter?

I wouldn't think that it would unless it just sat around for a while. ATF contains quite a number of detergents in it that are there specifically to combat sludging and varnish.

RomerB2 04-15-2006 04:55 AM

What about pollution? I'm not a tree-hugger, but I do what I can to make sure I don't pollute too much. What does this do to the air?

"Beemer Nut" 04-15-2006 12:50 PM

Used ATF contains micro sized friction materials as well varnish and metal. Magnet will help with the metal, everything else will pass thru the filters. What it does to pumps, injectors or cylinder walls, feel lucky? Oil reduces octane numbers considerably in a gasoline motor, why would it be different in a diesel? Have you ever added gasoline to start a diesel and the results were?
Years ago that guy with the 200 mpg carb would not sell out to car manufactures or oil companies, later on he vanished like no body to be found. Foul play who knows, he was originally from Arizona. He had a heating system to vaporize the fuel instead of droplets of fuel a carb delivers but then carb supplied fuel droplets vaporize due to intake heat and pressure drop. With fuel injection things are better but not the best like direct injection for gasoline motors which will be available soon. Wait until the throttle less motors come out were idle to full power is controlled by valve lift and duration only without any air duct restrictions, BMW has it and gained 11% hp and 13% Tq right off the get go. Sorry getting off topic but in the general area.
.....=o&o>.....
.....=o&o>.....

Greywolf 04-18-2006 09:38 PM

It seems like those detergents might help clean the fuel system out.

And of course - if there was a lot of junk already in there, the fuel filter might experience a gigantic sludge BOMB. But only once...

rusty70f100 04-18-2006 11:01 PM

I have to wonder what those particles would do to an injection pump. :-rip

"Beemer Nut" 04-18-2006 11:10 PM

You want to see a herd of sheep look into a Rover Forum where once a month or any time the motor farts once they are told to add SeaFoam into the intake and oil, all will be well in their fantasy mind. Sludge broken loose to grind up the motor internals as well smoke from SeaFoam ingestion to coat and destroy their catalytic converters. Cats are only $1,300.
.....=o&o>.....

Machman 04-23-2006 07:15 PM

what are you talking about? :-huh

jhart 7.3 05-27-2011 08:48 PM

my 20007.3

I own a auto repair shop in jax fl . I run my turbo7.3 on 100% trans fluid. it is ok to do if u use a filter setup with magnets and live in warmer area. my truck hasent lost any power in fact it gained . 222k miles it also runs better .just remember all diesels arenot created equal 7.3 dont have fuel sensors allowing them to run dark fuel i now save10k a year on fuel it is worth the risk to me.