Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   AMC 343 V8 question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/468847-amc-343-v8-question.html)

lesmore49 03-05-2006 09:45 AM

AMC 343 V8 question

I know this is a Ford website, but you guys out there, seem to have a vast storehouse of knowledge about things, automotive.

The Rambler American, eventually became the Scrambler with the 390 AMC V8. Small car, big engine=lots of go.

However before 1968, when the Scrambler came out, you vould get (in '67, maybe '66) a Rambler American with the 343 V8. One version of this was the regular 280 hp, four bbl. I know this is fact.

However, there is a guy in my town, that has a '67 Rambler American, that he indicated was a factory order, by a local, with a 343-315 or 320 hp engine. Came with 4.10s, 4 speed, two door coupe.

I have never been able to find any info. that AMC ever offered a 315 or 320 hp , 343, in any car, including the American.

I'm not saying this engine doesn't exist, I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of this rare bird?

I know Chevy was renowned for popping out COPO cars, during this era, that couldn't be found anywhere in their cataloque, ie; Nova, Camaro 427/425 hp., etc.

I guess it's also possible that this might of been an AMC sponsored, Dealer installed package, like some OEM's did, back in those day, but I don't really know.

whowey 03-05-2006 10:12 AM

Its completely possible it came late in the model year, as a 'demo' car. Or some other special order car. Or possibly could have been an 'advertising' car.

1968 saw the debut of the Javelin that offered the 343. It also saw the AMX get the hi-po kit, that had the 390ci that produced 315hp.

Realistically Rambler/AMC was always short on funds for devolpment, so anything is possible. So many bizarre combinations came out from them, to meet contracts, cut costs, or meet orders.

Once they purchased Jeep, the bizzareness got worse.

I have a Jeep with a GM steering column,a Ford distributor,a Chryco intake, and a Peugeot transmission. From the factory.

Goobzilla 03-05-2006 10:15 AM

The Typhoon 343 was 280 HP and 10.2:1 compression stock. There were aftermarket parts that could easily hit that 315/320 HP mark, but they didn't come from the factory. Here's my 68 AMX one of 902 with the 343/Auto setup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...illa/68AMX.jpg

lesmore49 03-05-2006 01:28 PM

WHowey, I think yor right. I figure it may have been one of those dealer installed options, that OEMs sometimes did, back in the 60's. AMC always was short of money, re; R & D, compared lets say to Ford and Chevy.

I wonder if it had maybe , for example speed parts, like say an Edelbrock manifold, larger 4 bbl carb than stock, maybe different cam from Crane. I think a few manufacturers back then, would just assign their part #s, to some aftermarket parts (some kind of deal with the speed parts companies, of course) to give their car a better chance at the drags.

I think NHRA or other sanctioning bodies probably indicated the OEM companies had to sell about 100 or so, to make it legit. I'm guessing, but that's my guess, which sounds similar to yours.

Goobzilla,

Beautiful AMX you have there. A buddy had a White AMX (new) back in '68-69 and had the 390, 4 speed. I always thought the original AMX was one of the most visually stunning cars of it's time. On a par with the '63-67 Vette and the Studebaker Avanti.

Les

michaelbarry 03-05-2006 04:02 PM

lesmore ..there's a forum much like this one, with an abundance of AMC information http://www.amcforums.com ..AMC's are another love of mine, and that's a great forum..good luck

lesmore49 03-05-2006 05:05 PM

Michaelbarry,
Thanks. I will check it out.
Les

Bordaine 03-05-2006 05:14 PM

Yes indeed the 343 was avalible in 67. With the 290 coming out in 66 and the 390 in 68. These are AMC release dates. The 304 and 360 coming out in 1970 and the 401 in 71.
The 343 was avalible in a 235 HP, 9.0 comp, 2BBL and a 280HP 10.2 comp 4BBL versions.
The 390 was avalible in a 315HP. 10.2 comp, 4BBL. There are 2 exeptions the this, being
the 1970 Machine motor putting out 340HP, 10.2 comp, 4BBL
and the 69 SS AMX motor putting out 340HP (advertised), 12.2 comp with 2 4BBLs on a crossram intake.
AMC's performance aftermarket was named Group 19. Group 19 parts could be install by the dealer. Hurst shifter, Cragar wheels, Edelbrock, Doug Thorley headers, and lots of other performance parts where avalible.
There are pictures of my AMX in my gallery under "other toys". Goobzilla love the color, nice car.

lesmore49 03-05-2006 07:44 PM

Bordaine,

Do you know if there was ever a 343-315 or 320 hp engine offered in the American? Was it called the American X ?
Les

"Beemer Nut" 03-05-2006 08:16 PM

The most V-8's that I saw in Americans were the 290" motor and a few 343's.
I made a clone Scrambler from a wrecked Scrambler's suspension and running
gear. Had a built up 458" 401 in a 69 Javelin that destroyed transmissions, driveshafts, rearends and driving record.
.....=o&o>.....

markone 03-05-2006 09:02 PM

I drag raced a 1969 Rambler 2 door post that I painted the Scrambler red white and blue, put a 401 and 727 auto in it. The car was fast and streetable, weighing in at 3000lbs with me in it. When the first 343's came out they weren't too quick as the exhaust from the factory was pretty restrictive so the car was overlooked as GM replied with V-8 Novas. The one that did get noticed was "the Rogue Runner" which pre-dated that Chrysler product with a similar name.

Bordaine 03-05-2006 09:48 PM

OK
I have spent the last couple of hours going thru my large supply of AMC info. I have only found 1 article listing a Rambler American X code. I would have to say that the Americans with the 343 engine only came with 280 HP. Rambler"s advertising people had billed these 343 equiped Americans as "Super Americans". They did not produce alot of these as the torque of the larger engine was more than the 4 door unibody could handle. They had a problem keeping windshields in them. The problem did not exist in the 2 door models. Note all the V8 Rambler Americans only came with single exaust (exept the Scrambler)
All this being said. That does not mean the car does not exist. I learned a long time ago, with AMC, that odd things do exist. If I had to guess, I would say the car is a 280HP 343ci Rambler American, which still makes it a very rare car. I am trying to find production figures on the 343 Americans. I will post my findings as soon as I have any answers

lesmore49 03-07-2006 09:59 PM

Bordaine,

Thank you, and all the rest for all your efforts. I have a couple of Krause Publication catalogues of American V8 engines, which I find are quite good. But Krause and every other source I have checked, indicate the highest hp AMC, 343, is the 280 hp , 4bbl.

This guy's AMC , according to what I can remember him telling me, was a local car Winnipeg), that had been special ordered from AMC. It was drag raced a couple of years, then put away in a garage and didn't see the light of day, again, for many a year.

Dreams are made this way, eh. Low miles, special order, good shape. A find!

I have only seen it once, looks nice and clean, the driver's door seemed to sag, and not close to well. Maybe the unibody?

The car is a plain jane, American 2 door, with a 4 speed and I think a 4.10 ratio.

It would be a very appealing car to have, a real sleeper. I think the American would be lighter than a Nova.

I have seen a freshly restored "Machine" in my town and a few Rambler Scramblers, early AMXs, etc.

I was visiting another Canadian city, either Edmonton or Calgary, (Edmon. , I think). I was lost and driving along a road, near the outskirts, and lo and behold, what did I come alongside?

Two to three, Marlins behind a chain link fence, in what appeared to be ok shape. They were in the compound of a junk yard, or body shop. I haven't seen a Marlin since. I can't remember the last time I saw a Marlin on the street.

There was a great article on the Marlin in Hot Rod, when they first came out. Sounded like an interesting car, 327 V8, etc. Pre-dated the fastback Charger.

Anyway, I saw the Marlins about 6-7 years ago. Interesting cars, are getting more scarce, by the day. When you see one, pick it up.

I got mine, motorcycle that is. I had been looking for a 750 cc Norton or Matchless Scrambler, and a friend drew me to an ad, advertising a one owner , 26,000 mile, '67 Matchless 750 Scrambler, G15 CS, also known as a "Desert Sled". They were originally built to race in American, cross country, desert events, back in the '60s.

I talked to my wife and bought it six years ago. Slow restoration job.

I guess, what I'm saying, is that an unusual car like this American 343, 4 speed, I think would apeal more to some (like me) than a Ford, Chevy, Mopar muscle car.

Has to be rarer.

Sorry for the meandering post. A sign of getting old.

"Beemer Nut" 03-08-2006 12:06 AM

Brit scooters

lesmore49, now ya got my attention when you speak Matchless and Norton.
Check your private mail.
.....=o&o>.....

Bordaine 03-08-2006 07:03 AM

Lesmore49 My first vehicle was a 1960 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650 Twin w/ twin Mikuni carbs. I loved that bike, ended up trading it for a 1970 Super Bee. I would like to have either one of them back.
See if you can get the VIN number off the Rambler and lets see if that digs anything up. I did find mention of a AMC dealer showing up at drag strips with Rambler Super American, 343 2DR. He would race the cars and sell them in the parking lot after the race. They where 4SP, 4.10 cars. I will look that up again but I believe it was in Mich. If the story is true, that could be a very interesting AMC. Please let me know how you make out.
Steve
PS The door alignment on AMC was always questionable. I have yet to see an AMC with both door perfect. On my 69 AMX the pass door closes and lines up perfect but the drivers door is another story. :-D

Ringo Fonebone 03-08-2006 12:51 PM

I have always had a soft spot in my heart (head?) for these old Ramblers too. There is an American with a 401 that looks dead stock in Grandma green running around my town, it is the ultimate sleeper IMO.

AMC used to stick the most restrictive exhaust systems on their cars, for some unknown reason. Almost all their V8's that weren't in Javelins or AMX's came 2-into-one in a cross-mounted single muffler. I would say the the HP difference you are talking about, lesmore49, might almost be made up simply with the use of dual exhaust.

I can find nothing on the SC/Rambler to suggest that it was anything but a 1969 1/2 (late '69) car. A '68 would be an even more rare beast than your friends car if it can be authenticated..

Great thread!

RF