Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   How to replace your fuel filter on a 2004 and newer F150. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/467008-how-to-replace-your-fuel-filter-on-a-2004-and-newer-f150.html)

bruzer80 02-19-2012 04:21 PM

Just an update to this post - Great Great post by the way!

A few variations some may run into:

If your truck was built prior to 12/05, the filter is the Fram 8010 or equivalent (Wix #33595). If after, it is the Fram 10166 or equivalent. And if you have the Flex Fuel, it is the latter. I use Wix, #33243. The only difference is that the first version is 5/16" and the second version is 3/8" (yes, I used the F-word, but only because it was the brand of filter referenced in the original post)

Also on the Flex Fuels, no Schrader valve on the fuel line. I don't recommend this, but I just let the truck sit for a few hours and there's no pressure in the line. superrangerman was correct, it is recommended to relieve the pressure.

I experienced problems with the X tool that was mentioned. The 3/8" end was too thick to slide between the filter tube and the line fitting, and was not machined accurately enough to fit nicely around the filter tube. I went with the little plastic piece that comes in a pack of 6 from autozone. Worked great!

Again, GREAT post superrangerman. Love the pics! Who needs a Chilton?

ryan70asu 04-16-2012 08:03 PM

Has anyone messed up the spider clip on the motor side of the fuel line when taking the filter off? I didn't know about the tool to get that side off on my first attempt and messed up the clip pretty bad. Stealership is telling me I have to buy the entire fuel line for something like $100+. Seems like someone would sell that little clip for the motor side if they sell the plastic one for the tank side of the line. Anyone know anything?

jjoyce11 05-20-2012 08:45 PM

great post but oh my gosh I CANNOT get the front hose off to save my life. i got the back one off but the front will not budge.. I have worked at it for a good hour along with some tricks from fellow mechanics and still nothing. I am not putting it back together and thinking about the next step. :(

jjoyce11 05-20-2012 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bruzer80 (Post 11457237)
Just an update to this post - Great Great post by the way!

A few variations some may run into:

If your truck was built prior to 12/05, the filter is the Fram 8010 or equivalent (Wix #33595). If after, it is the Fram 10166 or equivalent. And if you have the Flex Fuel, it is the latter. I use Wix, #33243. The only difference is that the first version is 5/16" and the second version is 3/8" (yes, I used the F-word, but only because it was the brand of filter referenced in the original post)

Also on the Flex Fuels, no Schrader valve on the fuel line. I don't recommend this, but I just let the truck sit for a few hours and there's no pressure in the line. superrangerman was correct, it is recommended to relieve the pressure.

I experienced problems with the X tool that was mentioned. The 3/8" end was too thick to slide between the filter tube and the line fitting, and was not machined accurately enough to fit nicely around the filter tube. I went with the little plastic piece that comes in a pack of 6 from autozone. Worked great!

Again, GREAT post superrangerman. Love the pics! Who needs a Chilton?

my truck is a 2005...I just tried but couldn't get the front hose off. i had the 5/16 tool as I read online...now im not sure it was. any ideas or tricks to getting the stupid hose off?

ctsv510 05-20-2012 09:54 PM

Those connections can be funky sometimes, I had to use a larger one of my plastic fuel line tools...I don't know what size it was though. Once you get the tool pressed into the fitting all the way, push in and pull out on the front fuel line over and over and over again quickly. Sometimes junk gets stuck up in there (dirt) and makes it hard for the clips to come loose. If that's you're problem you should hear and see some dirt fall out and hear a kind or crunching noise. I know it doesn't seem like it but eventually it will come loose.

Rudeman 05-21-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigblackmachine (Post 10873631)
O'reilly sells the "Lisle" fuel module disconnect tool #37500 for $7.50, & the "Wix" fuel filter, #33595 for $11.50. Good price's for a quality product, I think.

I went with the Wix filter also. I'm not familiar with other brands but the Wix included a plastic retainer in the box.

be patient and make your movements deliberate and it will come right off.

curtk69 01-19-2013 03:00 PM

man canadians get ripped off.
cost me 23 bucks for the fuel filter and 14 for the removal tool kit with6 ptools and only need the one.
grand total of 42 with taxes

and the guy wasnt sure which filter since it apparently changes after the 5th month of 2006?
is that bs , cuz they look the same in pic?

curtk69 01-19-2013 04:19 PM

ok i might have an update for this thread. you dont have to tap or hammer on this switch. it is only an on/off switch with 2 wires, so running the truck and disconnecting the switch should do the same job correct?

thats the way i did it anyways and the truck shutoff within 2 seonds of removing it.
once i removed the filter there was no pressure but still about a cup of fuel dribbled out.

one unrelated problem happened though.
once i started the truck up it ran rough for 20 secs or so then seemed fine, so i left it running 5 minutes or so while i remounted the cutoff switch.
by the time that was done, it sounded like it was missing slightly and just to see if it was still starving for fuel i gave it some gas and it immediately bogged down and almost stalled. then i tried it a second time and it did stall.
now i cant get it to run at all.

what did i do?

HomerWinzlow 01-19-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by curtk69 (Post 12733540)
ok i might have an update for this thread. you dont have to tap or hammer on this switch. it is only an on/off switch with 2 wires, so running the truck and disconnecting the switch should do the same job correct?

thats the way i did it anyways and the truck shutoff within 2 seonds of removing it.
once i removed the filter there was no pressure but still about a cup of fuel dribbled out.

one unrelated problem happened though.
once i started the truck up it ran rough for 20 secs or so then seemed fine, so i left it running 5 minutes or so while i remounted the cutoff switch.
by the time that was done, it sounded like it was missing slightly and just to see if it was still starving for fuel i gave it some gas and it immediately bogged down and almost stalled. then i tried it a second time and it did stall.
now i cant get it to run at all.

what did i do?

Maybe you tripped the switch when you remounted it? Try pressing in on the reset button and starting it then.

curtk69 01-19-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow (Post 12733612)
Maybe you tripped the switch when you remounted it? Try pressing in on the reset button and starting it then.

yeah i tried that just before i got your message, it worked . duh why didnt i try that right away. it just threw me off when it dies within 2 seconds when i tried releasing pressure by removing switch, then afterwards it runs 5 minutes?
thanks though

PNW_Watcher 04-18-2013 08:52 PM

As a newbie here Superrangerman2002, your post has been tremendously helpful. Wish I had read up on it before I purchased the replacement filter. Got home from the NAPA store and there were a couple of plastic thingies in the box, but NOT the line release tool that would get me to the finish line today. (Harrumph!) So, off to the store again tomorrow to complete. I know it's my job to understand what to ask the parts counter for, but if they had suggested including the tool, it would have made my evening.

Keep up the good work!

bowkill 04-21-2013 07:05 PM

Thanks for the great post and saving me some money.

superdutyfan 04-23-2013 11:07 PM

Thanks Brother on an awsome thread:-drink . I never changed a fuel filter before and your thread was great Thanks again

SDF

7636074460 04-24-2013 10:03 PM

hey guys, i work in a lube department that services 60-80 vehicles daily we tend to do 4-6 fuel filters daily.

recommended service is 30,000 miles or 2 years. so the dirt reported in the post earlier at 27000 is not surprising at all. generally the filter will develop a little external surface rust at this time also, but not a finite reason to go on by any means.

we use a gold colored release tool or the x-type never had issues with the clips yet on these trucks either. most of our customers have brought there vehicles since the first oil change and run lots and lots of miles(monthly service by many), resulting in several fuel filters being done by us on one vehicle. 30K miles always sounded a little soon to me personally but the quality of our "gasoline" is continually degrading and like said before, the 27k mile dirt is typical and why this service interval is important.

we do not have time to mess with inertia switches being a fast lube and too many vehicles to have to know where to look for those things. we typically do these while the oil change is also in progress and the only safety required is to remove the keys from the vehicle. some vehicles will actually try to keep pressure by sensing the key in the ignition, some have to be on. always remove keys. a small amount of fuel falls out not to worry just be safe guys. no worries when standing in a pit! if your doing this in your driveway i would say just let the vehicle sit for an hour at least to be extra safe, the inertia switch thing is an unnecessary step in our experience. i see the safety behind this and if you think you need to do so go ahead! use your eye protection folks.

as far as once the new filter is installed prime the system by cycling the ignition key on 3-4 times for 10 seconds each cycle. check for leaks then start the truck. its a 5 minute process with the proper tools and correct filter of course.

i felt some professional opinion should be shared i did not notice any prior in the thread.
good job on the HOW-TO!
good luck everyone and happy preventative maintenance!

alb2badd 04-28-2013 12:53 PM

Back fuel line won't push on, and I may have cracked the blue clip. Any suggestions?