Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   New Toyota full size good for Ford build quality? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/459906-new-toyota-full-size-good-for-ford-build-quality.html)

mschultz 02-09-2006 02:03 PM

New Toyota full size good for Ford build quality?

Let's hope the new Toyota will force Ford to improve build quality on full-size trucks. Take a look at panel gaps by walking down a row of new '06 trucks. The hood/fender lines are all over the place. Bed wall and floor seams always inconsistent. Front finish work looks cheap on XL trucks (sloppy paint work next to radiator/behind grill) and many with ATF seeping from the transmissions. Hate to say it but the Germans are doing a much better job building trucks in Mexico and selling them here as "Dodge" trucks.

Come on Ford! I love my older Powerstroke and I really want to buy an 06 Powerstroke- but your build quality is really poor these days. Nice interior. Great front axle/frame and drivetrain. Now just tighten up manufacturing standards and there will be no doubt who offers the best truck.

Or,,, you could continue to slack and in 2-4 years Toyota will eat your lunch just like they did in the car market.

But note: The new Toyota officially introduced today had 5 bolt axles and only a weekend warrior short bed. Still not a real work truck- So until or unless Toyota figures out what we need in a heavy truck, and if Ford tightens up build quality in the new '07 trucks- there may be hope for one of the 2 remaining US auto manufactures.

Come on Ford, I want to stand behind you. So don’t ask me to invest 30-40k in shoddy build quality. Now is the time to tighten things up because I am willing to bet the farm that when Toyota finally offers me a full-size DRW cab and chassis, the hood will line up with the fenders, the transmission will not leak, the ECU will not need to be re-flashed once a month, and a vacuum line will not be suspended over the turbocharger by a zip-tie. A zip-tie for crying out loud! On a new $35k truck?

I say- the sooner Toyota competes in the heavy truck market, the better off we are because Ford will either pull it together or go out of business.

I know that sounds harsh- especially to a bunch of ford loyalists- but if we all want ford to succeed (remember, Ford stock has the same junk bond rating as GM) then we should all support a better product. With one exception (’63 International) I have run all Ford trucks. I would like to continue running Ford trucks.

But when I see poor panel alignment and zip ties suspending plumbing under the hood, I pause before committing 32-35k to my next truck. For the sake of Ford building a better truck, I welcome the new Toyota full size. I hope Ford will respond by doing a better job of assembling an already excellent set of components.

-Mike

osbornk 02-09-2006 03:28 PM

You must be looking at different Ford trucks than I am. when I look at a bunch of F150s, I don't find any of the problems you listed.

DShira 02-09-2006 03:40 PM

Unless Ford changed a lot form 03 to 06 me neither - My 03 CC SD has no misalignment of panels. Now the under hood plumbing is a little mickey mouse with the vaccum hoses - but I've had no problems in 26000 miles.

Batgeek 02-09-2006 03:49 PM

I know what you’re talking about. Ford and GM’s quality control has seemed erratic. Ford at least has a good design to start with. I do have to disagree with you that every Ford truck is poorly put together. I been walking the lots a lot the past few weekends Fords cars and trucks are mostly are fine with only a few odd balls on the lot having some of the imperfections you have mention. The worst one was a F250xl with some paint overspray. I don’t know what the reason is behind this they’re made in the same factory. I guess it comes down to who was working that day and which line it came down. I’ve also seen this to some degree on other car lots not just Ford. Maybe Bubba, Bubb-San, or Bubba Gonzales was hung over that day.

stu37d 02-09-2006 04:02 PM

Perhaps there's some truth to the "Don't buy a vehicle built on Mondays or Fridays," myth?

tmyers 02-09-2006 09:26 PM

I sorry I just don't see that. Every manufacture will have there odd balls. Overspray is a fact in the automotive industry and in restoring a car to original condition is something that is looked for. People want perfect gaps. What do you think you are buying a show quality vehilce, its a truck. Everyone want an orange peel free paint job. Sorry if its painted in this country not going to happen regardless of company.

AlfredB1979 02-09-2006 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by stu37d
Perhaps there's some truth to the "Don't buy a vehicle built on Mondays or Fridays," myth?

Um, that was never a myth. The department chair for the classes I am taking for my bachleors degree has a son that works for Ford. Up high, to be exact. As in he knows how lousy the company internal memo system is.

People forget how lousy the 70s were because they were too stoned to remember what happened on those particular days...

It took employees doping out for the Japanese makers to catch and pass the US makers, but life's not fair, so you reap what you sow.

Octane 02-09-2006 10:10 PM

I hope that Ford will take heed of the new Tundra and will make quality job 1.
I doubt it though, look what I found on NYSE.com:

In an interview with reporters Wednesday at the auto show, Ford's chief operating officer for the Americas, Anne Stevens, shrugged off Toyota's threat. She cited the company's sales numbers for the past two years and insisted the F- 150 will remain the leader in the segment.
http://www.nyse.com/interface/jsp/NH...sdowjones=true
Its an arrogant attitude like that which caused the domestics to lose the domestic car market.
Ford needs to wake up and realize that Toyota is very serious about taking over the domestic truck market.

edgl 02-09-2006 11:38 PM

I have a 06 F350 dually. The body does not have bad body gaps. It is built very well. It has zero rattles. People better start supporting America. It seems to me that people go out of their way to knock American products, so they can buy foreign vehicles like Toyota. The great Toyota. Well Toyota does not have a heavy duty truck like the F350. I also have a 06 Silverado 1500 for home use, and it is a very nice truck too. I don't have any problems with either truck. You Ford guys knock Chevy, but they also make nice trucks. Chevy is the last American truck company along with Ford. When they go under, we will at the mercy of Toyota, and Nissan. I will support American companies first.
Ed G

Batgeek 02-09-2006 11:49 PM

Another thing to consider and it may be true for the F250 I saw with the overspray. When I was buying my Ranger many years ago I noticed something did not look right about the front quarter panel.The saleman did not seem to see it or know anything about it. Lucky for me one of the guys I went to school with worked in the body shop. He pulled me to the side and told me that the truck had been damaged when they were unloading it and they repaired it. From what he told me stuff like this happens alot. Cars get damaged in shipping, unloading, moving around the lot, on test drives, off lot sales, and ect. He informed me that I would never find this reported anywhere. This may account for some of the imperfections and odd balls out there.

BigF350 02-10-2006 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Octane
Its an arrogant attitude like that which caused the domestics to lose the domestic car market.
Ford needs to wake up and realize that Toyota is very serious about taking over the domestic truck market.

I think Ford (internally) is aware of the threat of Toyota, and are willing to up themselves to the challenge. Have a look at the current F-150, I don't think I have seen Ford build a better truck EVER.

They may say things publicly, like we don't think they can touch us. Could you imagine them saying "We think the Tundra is undoubtably the best vehicle in the segment, and its going to sell more than the current F-150"

IB Tim 02-10-2006 06:27 AM

Yes this will help both Ford and GM...They must accept this as a serious challenge, no matter how ugly it is. This is good for all of us.

remf 02-10-2006 09:01 AM

Recently read of a Ford supervisor/foreman trying to identify a source of some squeak/loose complaints. The source was a tall worker who would tend to get sloppy late in the shift after a few hours of stooping to tighten that particular part (that plant subsequently made a workplace change to accommodate the worker). Not sure if such stories are common, but things like this may help explain an inconsistent build quality.

Gparcels 02-10-2006 09:43 AM

No complaints about my 06 F150 KR the fit and finish is as close to perfect as you can get, no rattles or any other noises. Knock wood I have nothing to complain about.

NickFordMan 02-10-2006 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mschultz
Let's hope the new Toyota will force Ford to improve build quality on full-size trucks. Take a look at panel gaps by walking down a row of new '06 trucks. The hood/fender lines are all over the place. Bed wall and floor seams always inconsistent. Front finish work looks cheap on XL trucks (sloppy paint work next to radiator/behind grill) and many with ATF seeping from the transmissions. Hate to say it but the Germans are doing a much better job building trucks in Mexico and selling them here as "Dodge" trucks.

Come on Ford! I love my older Powerstroke and I really want to buy an 06 Powerstroke- but your build quality is really poor these days. Nice interior. Great front axle/frame and drivetrain. Now just tighten up manufacturing standards and there will be no doubt who offers the best truck.

Or,,, you could continue to slack and in 2-4 years Toyota will eat your lunch just like they did in the car market.

But note: The new Toyota officially introduced today had 5 bolt axles and only a weekend warrior short bed. Still not a real work truck- So until or unless Toyota figures out what we need in a heavy truck, and if Ford tightens up build quality in the new '07 trucks- there may be hope for one of the 2 remaining US auto manufactures.

Come on Ford, I want to stand behind you. So don’t ask me to invest 30-40k in shoddy build quality. Now is the time to tighten things up because I am willing to bet the farm that when Toyota finally offers me a full-size DRW cab and chassis, the hood will line up with the fenders, the transmission will not leak, the ECU will not need to be re-flashed once a month, and a vacuum line will not be suspended over the turbocharger by a zip-tie. A zip-tie for crying out loud! On a new $35k truck?

I say- the sooner Toyota competes in the heavy truck market, the better off we are because Ford will either pull it together or go out of business.

I know that sounds harsh- especially to a bunch of ford loyalists- but if we all want ford to succeed (remember, Ford stock has the same junk bond rating as GM) then we should all support a better product. With one exception (’63 International) I have run all Ford trucks. I would like to continue running Ford trucks.

But when I see poor panel alignment and zip ties suspending plumbing under the hood, I pause before committing 32-35k to my next truck. For the sake of Ford building a better truck, I welcome the new Toyota full size. I hope Ford will respond by doing a better job of assembling an already excellent set of components.

-Mike

What the hell are you talking about???? ALL of the Ford trucks at our lot are PERFECT. The body lines match incredibly, the panels are straight, and the paint is immaculate. I've driven some of the newer '05's, and the quality is there. Best riding vehicles I've ever been in.

I think you're just looking for some attention as a Toyota supporter on a Ford truck website. Your accusations are ridiculous, and unfounded.

The new full size Toy will offer some competition...but don't expect it to be perfect. I personally believe Toyota will have a hard time taking any market share from the F-150...but that doesn't mean Ford isn't watching and paying attention.