Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   lightning pulley (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/459412-lightning-pulley.html)

so9956 02-08-2006 12:03 AM

lightning pulley

This may sound like a silly question, but I am definately a newbie when it comes to certain engine mods and want to make sure everything I put into my truck is safe. I am going back and forth about getting a pulley for my '04 lightning. My question is....as long as the boost is not too high and the a/f ratio is good and i get a performance chip tuned to support the pulley, will a pulley decrease overall engine life? just wondering, i have read about alot of people installing them so it must not, but I just wanted to ask. Thanks for your replies.

bigsnag 02-08-2006 05:11 AM

Going with a 4 lb pulley and a chip with a safe tune and you'll be fine. I suppose theoretically it may shorten engine life somewhat by the increased strain, but it won't blow your engine in a few thousand miles if that's what you're worried about.

Lightning Rod 02-13-2006 07:57 PM

I wouldn't do the chip. With the SCT Xcaliber and Diablo Predator, you can get the tune needed for your mods and you won't have to destroy the integrity of your CPU in the process. The technology incorporated into the newer handheld OBDII programmers are making CPU chips obsolete.

A 4# lower pulley, CAI, and tune will provide a good jump in power and performance without sacrificing reliability. You will definitely feel the difference. :)

bigsnag 02-13-2006 08:44 PM

Chips

Chips don't destroy anything. The tuners are great too, but a 4 position chip is great as well. They are in fact easier to dyno tune than programmers. My chip allows me to have 4 stored tunes and I can still have the stock tune as well. Can change on the fly, too. To get the full benefit of a pulley, you will need a tune from either a chip or a hand held programmer. I am very happy with it.

notsoswwuyd 02-14-2006 01:46 AM

hey man, with a 4# lower, cai and a dyno tune you will see around 450 hp. as long as you don't go lean you will be fine.

Lightning Rod 02-14-2006 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by bigsnag
Chips don't destroy anything.

You must scrape the protective coating off the CPU contacts in order to make a chip work. Doing so leaves permanant evidence that the truck has been modified.

On an older vehicle, this probably wouldn't matter. However, an '04 will likely have the 3/36 factory warranty still in play and would be jeopardized by having the CPU contacts scraped.

so9956 02-14-2006 01:04 PM

thanks for all the input guys

bigsnag 02-14-2006 05:46 PM

The stuff you scrape off is available to purchase so you can put it back on and they won't be able to ever know. As I understand it, dealers can tell through the computer if a programmer has been hooked to it as well, so that isn't totally safe either from a warranty standpoint.

lightningdriver 02-26-2006 07:04 PM

ive been running a 6lb pulley for 2 years no problem but my truck / chip was also tuned by jlp on eof the top lightning tuners. but the short answer is yes and power adding modification will decrease your engine life its just a matter of how much (also may more be decrease in transmission life than engine).

lightningdriver 02-26-2006 07:06 PM

ps. you can get that protective coating if you make a friend at the ford dealership.

lightningdriver 02-26-2006 07:07 PM

not so on what dyno would you make that I make 421 and have a ported blower 6 lb lower, cai, ph spacer, e-fan corbra r waterpump dual flip chip and more and make 540 tq but only 421 hp at the wheels.