Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Drain plug on torque converter? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/452473-drain-plug-on-torque-converter.html)

Joe B 01-20-2006 06:39 PM

Drain plug on torque converter?

Some Ford trucks have 'em.
The Explorer?
Going with Amsoil trans fluid for trans and transfer case.
Amsoil Severe Gear oil for front and back diffs.
Will probably have to purge stock trans fluid out if no plug on converter.

Vito in TN 01-23-2006 11:00 AM

I looked in my All Data, and it shows a drainplug only for the Mazda 5spd tranny.

Joe B 01-23-2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vito in TN
I looked in my All Data, and it shows a drainplug only for the Mazda 5spd tranny.

Thanks,Vito.
Looks like I'll have to purge the old stuff out.

Bob Ayers 01-25-2006 05:29 AM

If your transmission calls for Mercon V, DO NOT use a multi-purpose (Mercon/ Dextron and Mercon V) ATF like Amsoil sells!!!

Read this TSB that Ford put out on ATFs:

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB01157ATFUsageChart.htm

Joe B 01-25-2006 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
If your transmission calls for Mercon V, DO NOT use a multi-purpose (Mercon/ Dextron and Mercon V) ATF like Amsoil sells!!!

Read this TSB that Ford put out on ATFs:

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB01157ATFUsageChart.htm

Once again I appreciate your imput but...
Ford wants one to buy only Motorcraft oil too.
I've used Amsoil auto trans fluid in a Corvette and an Expedition and never had any problems.
Using Amsoil trans fluid doesn't void my warranty.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us when using aftermarket vehicle parts.

Bob Ayers 01-25-2006 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Joe B
Once again I appreciate your imput but...
Ford wants one to buy only Motorcraft oil too.
I've used Amsoil auto trans fluid in a Corvette and an Expedition and never had any problems.

They don't specify Motorcraft only, but they are explicit on Mercon V, which is sold by Castrol, and Valvoline, along with Motorcraft......

srercrcr 01-25-2006 06:42 PM

If you don't put Mercon V in the tranny, you WILL void your warranty....period.

Bob Ayers 01-25-2006 08:27 PM

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us when using aftermarket vehicle parts.

That's true if only Ford made Mercon V ATF. But since other companies make Mercon V ATF, and Ford says that Mercon V IS A REQUIREMENT, then the
multi-purpose Amsoil WILL void your warranty!!!

Kruse 01-25-2006 08:43 PM

Some Ford trucks have 'em.
The Explorer?

Few light duty cars and trucks have a torque converter drain plug. Your Explorer does not.

4.0 Beast 01-25-2006 08:45 PM

if you are asking so you can drain the fluid out of it, if you flush the tranny fluid, the torque converter would be included....the fluid runs thru both the tranny and t.c.

i personally use only motorcraft fluids and filters. at my dealer its no more expensive than other brands sold at autozone or walmart. plus if anything goes wrong with anything, only ford is to blame. so far so good though, no problems..... yet.....

Joe B 01-26-2006 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
That's true if only Ford made Mercon V ATF. But since other companies make Mercon V ATF, and Ford says that Mercon V IS A REQUIREMENT, then the
multi-purpose Amsoil WILL void your warranty!!!

Not meaning to sound like a smart ass,but I've been on other Ford and other vehicle boards and many,including myself,haven't had a problem using Amsoil or Redline synthetic trans fluids.
In case the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act doesn't protect me if there's a warranty issue Amsoil will.

http://www.daoilman.com/faqs/faq4.htm

Misinformation about AMSOIL Universal ATF
and Mercon and Mercon V Applications

Problem: AMSOIL INC. has been informed that some AMSOIL Dealers and their customers have experienced problems with their local Ford Dealership service department when bringing in the new AMSOIL Universal ATF for installation in their Ford vehicle transmission. They have been told that: A) You cannot put a Mercon V labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon application. B) That you cannot put a Mercon labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon V application (this is true). C) That you cannot put a dual usage labeled ATF product in the Mercon application or the Mercon V application. Since the new AMSOIL Universal Transmission Fluid is labeled dual usage, recommended for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, some Ford Dealership service managers are telling their customers that if they put the AMSOIL Universal ATF product in their transmission it will void their transmission warranty.

Answer: At least one oil company’s ATF product with a Mercon V rating does not also meet Mercon performance requirements. This has apparently caused a great deal of confusion about allowing Mercon V ATF to be back serviceable in Mercon applications. The AMSOIL Universal ATF has been formulated to meet or exceed both the Mercon and Mercon V specification, as well as G.M. Dexron III and Chrysler ATF+4. It is fully supported through documented testing. It is recommended for and can be used in ALL of the applications listed on the label. PERIOD.

If someone is misinformed on this issue and actually denies a manufacturer’s warranty coverage because of the use of AMSOIL Universal ATF Fluid in one of the applications for which it is recommended by AMSOIL INC., the AMSOIL Warranty coverage would apply. The consumer’s transmission would be repaired under the AMSOIL Warranty. AMSOIL INC. and our insurance company will legally pursue the dealership or the manufacturer to recover our costs. AMSOIL INC. would not make the recommendations on our label, or issue this statement, if we were not completely confident of our position on this matter. While we cannot control what individuals say about this subject, we can and do insure that consumers can use our product with complete confidence and without risk.

Joe B 01-26-2006 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kruse
Few light duty cars and trucks have a torque converter drain plug. Your Explorer does not.

Thanks,Kruse.
I thought a few Fords had the plug.
Just hoping the Explorer did.

Kruse 01-26-2006 06:42 PM

I thought a few Fords had the plug.
Just hoping the Explorer did.

This <WAS> one of Ford's better ideas, but they phased them out. Back in the 70's, Ford had them and GM didn't. What a lot of tranny shops would do when they overhauled a GM tranny (bless their heart) was actually drill a hole in the torque converter, thread it, and install a plug. They would then hook the torque converter up to a machine that cleaned and flushed the torque converter. I guess nobody installs a plug in them anymore because during manufacturing it costs money to drill and tap the converter and maybe $.05 for the plug. Some of your heavy duty torque converters still have them, but they are getting fewer also. BTW, I have an '88 Cougar that still has a drain plug. It's a nice and fuzzy feeling to get about 12 quarts of oil in your tranny when you do a fluid change.

Joe B 01-27-2006 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kruse
This <WAS> one of Ford's better ideas, but they phased them out. Back in the 70's, Ford had them and GM didn't. What a lot of tranny shops would do when they overhauled a GM tranny (bless their heart) was actually drill a hole in the torque converter, thread it, and install a plug. They would then hook the torque converter up to a machine that cleaned and flushed the torque converter. I guess nobody installs a plug in them anymore because during manufacturing it costs money to drill and tap the converter and maybe $.05 for the plug. Some of your heavy duty torque converters still have them, but they are getting fewer also. BTW, I have an '88 Cougar that still has a drain plug. It's a nice and fuzzy feeling to get about 12 quarts of oil in your tranny when you do a fluid change.

Interesting,Kruse.
A plug would make the process much easier but like you said,it comes down to $$$ savings for the manufacturer.

Bob Ayers 01-27-2006 06:02 AM

Not meaning to sound like a smart ass,but I've been on other Ford and other vehicle boards and many,including myself,haven't had a problem using Amsoil or Redline synthetic trans fluids.
In case the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act doesn't protect me if there's a warranty issue Amsoil will.

http://www.daoilman.com/faqs/faq4.htm

Misinformation about AMSOIL Universal ATF
and Mercon and Mercon V Applications

Problem: AMSOIL INC. has been informed that some AMSOIL Dealers and their customers have experienced problems with their local Ford Dealership service department when bringing in the new AMSOIL Universal ATF for installation in their Ford vehicle transmission. They have been told that: A) You cannot put a Mercon V labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon application. B) That you cannot put a Mercon labeled transmission fluid in a Mercon V application (this is true). C) That you cannot put a dual usage labeled ATF product in the Mercon application or the Mercon V application. Since the new AMSOIL Universal Transmission Fluid is labeled dual usage, recommended for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, some Ford Dealership service managers are telling their customers that if they put the AMSOIL Universal ATF product in their transmission it will void their transmission warranty.

Answer: At least one oil company’s ATF product with a Mercon V rating does not also meet Mercon performance requirements. This has apparently caused a great deal of confusion about allowing Mercon V ATF to be back serviceable in Mercon applications. The AMSOIL Universal ATF has been formulated to meet or exceed both the Mercon and Mercon V specification, as well as G.M. Dexron III and Chrysler ATF+4. It is fully supported through documented testing. It is recommended for and can be used in ALL of the applications listed on the label. PERIOD.

If someone is misinformed on this issue and actually denies a manufacturer’s warranty coverage because of the use of AMSOIL Universal ATF Fluid in one of the applications for which it is recommended by AMSOIL INC., the AMSOIL Warranty coverage would apply. The consumer’s transmission would be repaired under the AMSOIL Warranty. AMSOIL INC. and our insurance company will legally pursue the dealership or the manufacturer to recover our costs. AMSOIL INC. would not make the recommendations on our label, or issue this statement, if we were not completely confident of our position on this matter. While we cannot control what individuals say about this subject, we can and do insure that consumers can use our product with complete confidence and without risk.

Please, spare us of the BS from Amsoil's website!!

Obviously you don't have a clue of the differences in friction modifiers between Mercon, and Mercon V, and that's the reason you can't use a
multi-purpose ATF. It can't meet this requirement for both!!!!