Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   turbo air guide from blackcloud info on it (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/452112-turbo-air-guide-from-blackcloud-info-on-it.html)

rosa70 01-19-2006 07:16 PM

turbo air guide from blackcloud info on it

I wanted to see if anyone had any info on the turbo air guide. My biggest issue is turbo noise. I like it driving around town but driving 3+ hours with the kids in the truck at 75mph the turbo noise starts to get to you. I have an early 99 model and the turbo noise is quite a bit louder then the 99.5-03.5. Im wondering if this really makes a noticeable difference in turbo noise. It looks like there are other benefits to using it as shown by the dyno results on blackclouddiesel.com. I really like the the torque numbers at around 2100rpms with about a 50ftlbs of torque increase. They did use a banks chip on both dyno tests with and without the tag installed. Any pros and cons on this would help. Thanks

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/TAG/tag.htm

rosa70 01-19-2006 07:26 PM

The link will not take you directly to it but once on there site hit the Ford truck link (of course) then on the left hand side under the ford heading hit the turbo stuff link. This will take you to it.

PowerstrokeJunkie 01-19-2006 07:28 PM

you could just put in a 99.5-03 turbo compressor wheel. defeating the purpose of curing turbo surge, but you will have a quieter turbo. all 10 blades are uniform height, not 5 short and 5 long. if you arent near 20 PSI much and don't suffer from stall, then this might be for you if all you are trying to do is hush the whine. i have my stock wheel on the shelf i could practically give you. PM me if youre interested.

rosa70 01-19-2006 07:37 PM

I really dont want to open up the turbo and change anything out. I would probably screw something up. Plus I have the type of compressor wheel all the newer models are wanting to install. I rather just install something quickly to quiet it down a little bit. Going by the numbers on black cloud it looks like everyone would want one. I just would like to talk to someone that has used one and there opinions on it. I guess if all else fails I could buy it and try it. They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

PowerstrokeJunkie 01-19-2006 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by rosa70
I guess if all else fails I could buy it and try it. They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

thats right. buy it and try it. let us know how it works when you do get it. i would only get the one that directly attaches to the turbo, because the intake pipe where the second one has a reducer and a bend, and that would muff up the airflow that was straightened out before by the second TAG. i would only get the smaller one (closest to the turbo) because it is a direct shot to the turbo. good luck.

PSNut 01-19-2006 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=rosa70]I wanted to see if anyone had any info on the turbo air guide. My biggest issue is turbo noise. I like it driving around town but driving 3+ hours with the kids in the truck at 75mph the turbo noise starts to get to you. I have an early 99 model and the turbo noise is quite a bit louder then the 99.5-03.5. Im wondering if this really makes a noticeable difference in turbo noise. It looks like there are other benefits to using it as shown by the dyno results on blackclouddiesel.com. I really like the the torque numbers at around 2100rpms with about a 50ftlbs of torque increase. They did use a banks chip on both dyno tests with and without the tag installed. Any pros and cons on this would help. Thanks

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/TAG/tag.htm[/QUOTE]
I have an '02 F-250 with the TAG and don't feel it quiets things too much...i love turbo sound in my truck! What i notice is quick spool up. Will be dyno testing the TAG's soon.
Nut

Turbo_Whistler 01-19-2006 08:08 PM

Personally i doubt it will do or change anything. But there is a 30 day gauarantee i guess, for what its worth. Reminds me of that little tornado thing that came on the scene, looks good on paper but really doesn't make any difference.

PSNut 01-19-2006 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo_Whistler
Personally i doubt it will do or change anything. But there is a 30 day gauarantee i guess, for what its worth. Reminds me of that little tornado thing that came on the scene, looks good on paper but really doesn't make any difference.

Don't knock it until u give it an honest try. BCD sells them and IMO is very reputable. I also noticed it dropped boost a couple psi on cruising 65mph on flats. Easy to test...easy to get in and out of motor.
Nut

BuickTurbo 01-19-2006 09:01 PM

Go find a closed element filter box. Like the stock one....just a whole lot better. That will quiet things down significantly.

PSNut 01-19-2006 09:03 PM

The AIS is good for that...but i can still hear my WW sing!

Nut

Kwikkordead 01-19-2006 11:29 PM

I suggest a closed filter box as well, like the AIS.