Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Cruise control update (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/449668-cruise-control-update.html)

skilife17 01-13-2006 01:15 PM

Cruise control update

Just got a call from the dealership and they told me parts were in. They said to allow 3-4 hours to put in. I'm just wondering how long it will actually be since some of you have had the jumper installed and if it did take 3 hours to do.

NASA_Hokie 01-13-2006 02:21 PM

Mine took 15 minutes. Just installed the new harness, didn't replace the switch itself.

skilife17 01-13-2006 02:43 PM

NASA_HokieCould it take 3 hours due to that I live in Minn. I read in other posts that some guys had the harness and switch replaced and it only was 45 min.

7700Rob 01-14-2006 12:35 AM

Depending on where in Minn. you live, it might take 2 1/2 hours for the truck to thaw.

Racerguy 01-14-2006 12:40 AM

Ford pays us .2 of an hour for the recall.....12 minutes.
It takes about 2 minutes to actually do the job, a few minutes in the parts dept to get the kit, a few minutes to bring in the truck, a few minutes to take it back out, a minute or so to write our story on the repair order.
The reason that most shops say it will take a few hours to do it is because of scheduling. Just like going to the doctor. You have an appointment for 10 am but you don't actualy get in til 11 because he had a couple other patients that took longer than planned.

ford390gashog 01-14-2006 03:46 AM

it is very simple a blind monkey could do it. but i think the time ford gives of 12 mins is BS they should at least give you 15 or 20

preppypyro 01-14-2006 07:56 AM

So the update, is it a in line fuse, like I have heard it was? Or is ford actually fixing it?

projectSHO89 01-14-2006 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by preppypyro
So the update, is it a in line fuse, like I have heard it was? Or is ford actually fixing it?

An inline fuse link, not a fuse.

If it blows, you get to pay to fix it.

Steve

scottpb33 01-14-2006 11:34 AM

Ok, I got the recall notice, but what is the actual problem. I just noticed the other day that my crusie control does not work, it did? Granted I put in a heater core not to long ago, but I believe it was still working after? Can't remember, to many cars. I checked the fuse, its ok, so I'm looking on this web site as usual, again, for some brilliant person to guide me in the direction they have already been :) .

Email me with any ideas

Scottpb33@hotmail.com

Thanks!

LxMan1 01-14-2006 09:51 PM

Check the switch on the master cylinder. Remove the plug, if it is wet inside, leave it unhooked and go to the dealer asap.

scottpb33 01-15-2006 06:47 AM

Thanks, did not look wet, called the local dealer. Truck is going in on Saturday for recall. Do you think that the cable (recall) has anything to do with the cruise control not working?

Scott

projectSHO89 01-15-2006 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by scottpb33
Thanks, did not look wet, called the local dealer. Truck is going in on Saturday for recall. Do you think that the cable (recall) has anything to do with the cruise control not working?

Scott

Probably.

If the fuse link blows or the switch is open, power is removed from the cruise system.

Steve

4trax 01-15-2006 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by preppypyro

NO! Ford is not stepping up to plate and correcting the problem they are just going around the problem. Kinda like a. Well it is a jerryrig set up. (I could call it other things but that would be racial some say). There way of thinking is go around the tree that's laying in the driveway instead of removing it and doing it the correct way. I was pissed when my sons was done and he come home with like that. :-fire :-fire :-fire

swright_47 01-16-2006 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by LxMan1
Check the switch on the master cylinder. Remove the plug, if it is wet inside, leave it unhooked and go to the dealer asap.

I'm going to the dealer today,, my switch on the master cylinder is wet. Why is it wet and how do I get to dry? Thanks

92merc 01-16-2006 12:18 PM

swright_47, if your switch is wet, that means a diaphram inside the switch itself has failed and is allowing brake fluid to weep past it an into the electrical portion of the switch. This switch has a constant power feed and is connected to a circuit with a 20amp fuse. So this allows it plenty of power to start a short circuit and keep the power flowing long enough to start the brake fluid on fire. The fire would get big enough and start wicking the brake fluid out of the MC area and onto the engine area, which starts a bigger fire. The poof! Your truck and any garage along with it may go up in flames.

This is basically wht the recall is covering. It puts an inline fuse to the hot circuit of the cruise switch on the MC. So if the switch does fail, you just loose power to the cruise control circuit when this new fuse blows.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the way Ford is fixing it. If you look at how many vehicles have actually gone up in flames, it's a quick and cheap way to work the issue that hasn't happened on that many vehicles. My 2003 Screw isn't technically in the recall notice. But guess what I'll be installing this summer? Installing a quick blow 5 amp inline with the cruise circuit. Cheap insurance on my part I figure.