Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Internal Control Module KAM error (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/440176-internal-control-module-kam-error.html)

TruckinPA 12-16-2005 03:16 AM

Internal Control Module KAM error

My wife has a 1999 F-350 powerstroke and when she shut her truck off last night the lights, radio & winshield wipers would not go off & then lots of smoke came out off the dash. She turned the truck back on & when she tried to turn it back off the engine wouldn't shut down. It's a manual transmission so I stalled it but couldn't get the lights to go out. Code P0603 came up on the Super Chip - internal control module KAM error. Has anyone had this problem or can tell me what I'm dealing with?

Kwikkordead 12-16-2005 09:07 AM

Welcome to the forum TruckinPA.
I'm not sure but it sounds like your GEM failed. I think its part of the backside of the inner fuse panel.

mech2161 12-16-2005 02:11 PM

The P0603 is common with a programmer. No broblem.

njf207 12-16-2005 02:14 PM

I agree sounds like the gem failed

TruckinPA 12-16-2005 03:23 PM

I don't know if that is the whole problem. Melted tail light fuse in main panel under hood and when I connect the battery cab lights & indicator lights come on without the parking light switch on but no other tail or parking lights work with or without switch

Kwikkordead 12-16-2005 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by TruckinPA
I don't know if that is the whole problem. Melted tail light fuse in main panel under hood and when I connect the battery cab lights & indicator lights come on without the parking light switch on but no other tail or parking lights work with or without switch

You sure you have the correct tail light bulbs installed? I can't tell you how many times I've fixed weird problems with cars by installing the correct bulbs after the owner jammed the wrong one in there.
Some tail light bulbs have two positive connections side by side on the end of the base of the bulb with a common ground through the side of the bulb. Somebody who "hasn't learned" about that yet will take a single terminal bulb and jam it into the socket. That has the effect of bridging the gap between the two positive terminals in the tail light socket and backfeeding power into the rest of the rest of the vehicle.
Just a thought.

TruckinPA 12-17-2005 06:13 PM

I found the problem. Shorted out headlight wires right at the switch, fuse didn't blow, it just melted together & the main wiring harness under dash melted. Real experience taking the dash out to get to the wiring!!!! Will have lot's of fun putting this baby back together! Thanks for all the tips.

Kwikkordead 12-17-2005 06:39 PM

I'm hoping that you have not just found the symptom of a problem elsewhere. Before you hit the lights at the end of the repair, check everything.
Do you have 100 watt bulbs installed in the truck?