Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General NON-Automotive Conversation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum19/)
-   -   How do you heat your house (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/439420-how-do-you-heat-your-house.html)

jake00 12-13-2005 07:21 PM

How do you heat your house

I'm curious to see what everyones source of heat is

PowerstrokeJunkie 12-13-2005 07:25 PM

our main source is forced-hot-air furnace, run off of LP gas. we also have a wood stove for those windy chilly -324* nights.

we also run our big shop off of wood heat, but that is a little more complicated and it isnt a house.

Greywolf 12-13-2005 07:31 PM

I keep the main house from freezing with one electric space heater, and heat the rooms I am in with others.

On occasion, if it gets too cold overall - I fire up a kero heater to bring the average up throughout. I picked one with enough capacity to do that.

Last year I shut off the natural gas, because the main heater died and never worked well, and because the sur-charges were pointless, and I do not trust the explosion hazard.

I wish I had a Franklin stove. There is enough free wood around here to run a power plant.

A_G 12-13-2005 07:36 PM

Main source is our fireplace. it puts out enough heat, to heat half the house. THe big parts of the house. But back here with pc and my bedroom across the hall it gets chilly, but i sleep better when its a bit chilly.
THe computer room stays warm because it doesnt have good ventalation so the heat from the pc builds up over time. IT can get 90 degrees in here during the summer when i walk across the hall its 60 LOL

Dungeon_Master 12-13-2005 07:42 PM

I have an old series 100 National Heat Extractor oil fired hot water boiler for heat and hot water. Planning on replacing it this comming summer with a Buderus G215 with a Logamatic 2000 Series Controler and ST series indirect storage tank for hot water. I burn wood in the living room fireplace most of the winter.

00BlueOvalRanger 12-13-2005 07:45 PM

Heat pump a/c unit died in 1996. While discussing what to do, my wife said that she was tired of being cold in the winter. FIX IT.
We put in an oil fired forced air furnace (ThermoPride furnace w/ Trane a/c unit). Smartest move we have made in this house.

Fireplace with insert (Earth Stove w/ catalyst) hasn't been used in several years. Oak and hickory is getting expensive and the furnace warms the house so that even my wife stays warm.

MustangGT221 12-13-2005 08:39 PM

We use oil heat w/ the baseboard radiators (forced hot water). Not very keen on the whole heating lingo but we also have a pellet stove (clicked off fireplace instead) that we use to heat 1/2 the house. The pellet stove puts out a lot of heat and works well. Unfortunately, the price of pellets is going up because people are starting to switch to it over oil, same with wood.

We heat the garage with a wood stove.

5_labsownus 12-13-2005 09:28 PM

Propane and a 16,000 BTU ventless heater!

fordboy_52 12-13-2005 09:36 PM

chilly -324
jeesus thats cold!

Matt

bigdaddyII 12-13-2005 09:52 PM

The 4 days a year when we do need heat, we use natural gas.

pizalm 12-13-2005 10:36 PM

Electric here, pretty much the whole town uses elctricity, it's cheaper here and no explosion risk really. Go hydro

ivanribic 12-13-2005 10:46 PM

Natural gas here. It used to be a lot cheaper than electric and our utilities company offered all kinds of rebates and incentives to switch from electric to gas. Then when they switched everyone they doubled the gas rates. I really love those guys. :D

yendor 12-13-2005 10:54 PM

eletric boiler 20 k running on off peak and a fire place for when it is real cold and off peak is shut down

packrat56 12-13-2005 11:34 PM

Woodstove and natural gas furnace, try to cut wood in the summer, always end up buying some...

Birdhunter1 12-13-2005 11:57 PM

I light a fire in the center of my teepee and call it good!

Or I kill me a buffalo and crawl inside it's carcass!