Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   weird speedometer and transmission (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/437538-weird-speedometer-and-transmission.html)

sylvain340 12-08-2005 08:35 AM

weird speedometer and transmission

Hi everyones,

I have a E-150 '99 v-6 4.2l with 110 000 miles with weird problems.
1) When i drive at ex:60 mph the reading is between 10 & 40 and if i hid the gas pedal to the floor the needle gooes to zero and if i release the pedal now the reading is about correct. Also the odometer is not reading properly like 4/10 for 1 mile. 2) The transmission is doing ( what i feel) sudden, quick downshift, just a quick bang. It happens while driving in the city or hwy and the O/D starts to flash. I have change the speed sensor on the tranny from an autoparts, the speed sensor on the rear end from Ford, have it check with the scan tool combine with a test drive from a tranny shop in Florida with the diagnostic = no code and a suggestion to change the fluid and add an additive. So i went to the dealer Ford to perform a tranny flush with new fluid without any change, i had no time to have it check with the scan tool at Ford because i was leaving to Canada. The feedback from many peoples are : something related with the lock-up, a sensor the computer??? I just don't know. Once in Canada i have it check again in a tranny shop with scan tool and test drive with the result of a bad VSS code and have to go to an electrical shop for the speedo. NEED HELP, because i have imported the van to Canada and i need an inpection in order to have the tag. Also need to make work the daylight running light, it's the law here. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Casey 12-08-2005 09:24 AM

There is something wrong with the vehicle speed sensing. It could be the vehicle speed sensor, the wiring to the sensor, the tone wheel inside the rear axle that the sensor reads, or the computer the uses what the sensor sends to it.

If you fix this the trans will be fine. Don't do ANYTHING to the transmission until you get the speedometer and odometer working right.

ColonyPark 12-08-2005 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Casey
There is something wrong with the vehicle speed sensing. It could be the vehicle speed sensor, the wiring to the sensor, the tone wheel inside the rear axle that the sensor reads, or the computer the uses what the sensor sends to it.

If you fix this the trans will be fine. Don't do ANYTHING to the transmission until you get the speedometer and odometer working right.

I absolutely agree with this. You need to find out what's preventing the VSS from working properly.

As to the DRL you need, there was a thread on here a while back that explained this. I *think* it's simply a matter of adding a relay somewhere. I'd bet your Ford dealer has done this a lot, so you might just call and ask them.

JOSHTHOMAS 09-17-2008 09:00 PM

i agree y dads bronco did the same thing

pfogle 09-18-2008 12:09 AM

It could even be a bad instrument cluster. The PSOM sends the signal from the sensor to the computer. The computer gets a "modified" speed signal.