Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General NON-Automotive Conversation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum19/)
-   -   Microsoft in India (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/437423-microsoft-in-india.html)

sierraben 12-07-2005 08:50 PM

Microsoft in India

Just heard on the news that microsoft is investing 2 billion dollars in India to create more jobs for their firm.

They're going to create more jobs there than here.

Anyone smell outsourcing?

AlfredB1979 12-07-2005 09:19 PM

Good and bad.

Good: They fill their need for engineers--just to crank out more bug-laden software. Math and science majors are nowhere to be found right now in the USA, relatively speaking. India and China crank these out like there is no tomorrow. I personally know ZERO grads in the aforementioned areas that I went to school with. I went to two high schools and have attended two colleges, mind you. The Physics department is one instructor at my old college, while the math and science departments are there really for fulfilling general requirements, nothing more.

Bad: Math and science students aren't stepping in to keep this from happening. So, the USA loses income that could be flowing into its own economy.

Ooops. Our bad.

In the case of outsourcing just to cut potential loss of profit (GM, Ford, etc...), this would suck. In the case of actually finding workers who don't think computer science "is for nerds, only!", you do what you must.

Microsoft stays in biz and stockholders pay dividend taxes and Microsoft pays payroll taxes....great.

rebocardo 12-08-2005 10:14 AM

The problem is noone wants to pay good money to math, science, and software engineers, they rather pay $10 vs. $50 an hour. They do it simply to save money, nothing more. Like the 65,000 work visas issued each year is not enough for the USA.

bumpzter 12-08-2005 10:21 AM

I read that IBM did something similar. Also many U.S. companies have their call centers in India now. :mad:

94van 12-08-2005 11:22 AM

Some time ago, Dell sent outsourced all their customer service to India.

The big dollar corporate customers raised so much heck about the language problem, and poor knowledge of some big systems, they returned it to the U.S.

But, us po folks with the lower end equipment, and spend less with Dell, must still contend with the foreigners.

johnstechhelp 12-08-2005 11:38 AM

IBM Actually sold out to lenovo, an asian-based company

bumpzter 12-08-2005 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by johnstechhelp
IBM Actually sold out to lenovo, an asian-based company

Yes, the PC division. I was talking about software development.

jsutton 12-09-2005 03:27 PM

When I was in college I took this one Marketing Class and the professor was talking about companys outsourcing jobs to India and other parts of the world for that matter and he stated that this was part of some sort of 24 hour deal. Because when its night here and people leave their jobs its morning there and those people are going to work and then when its time for them to go home its time to go to work here. Thats just what he said I have no idea if this really has any validity or anything for a company or not. It does kinda make sense though. I just thought i would chime in with what I have heard.

jason
77 f100

sierraben 12-09-2005 04:39 PM

If that's true, then why not keep the jobs here and have three shifts; day, swing, and graveyard shifts?

jsutton 12-09-2005 04:46 PM

I don't know, thats just what he said. I wondered the same thing too. I'm sure the cheaper labor has to do with it too. He did say something about it was to try to help out other countries economies as well. I don't know,but I do know I am fixing to go home and enjoy my weekend!

jason
77 f100