Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Spark Plugs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/434460-spark-plugs.html)

2kstroker 11-28-2005 08:57 PM

Spark Plugs

It's time to change the plugs in my 1998 Explorer,4.0 SOHC. Ford suggests AGRF-22P. Is one type(platinum v/s double platinum v/s single point v/s dual point v/s etc,and brand (Autolite v/s Bosch v/s Champion v/s etc,etc,etc,better than another?
Some vehicles seem to run better on one type rather than another.
You all have always come through,with good responses.
Thanks again,for all your help.

Jharger 11-28-2005 11:19 PM

The single P will give you a platinum tab on the ground electrode and dual P's (PP) gives you platinum on the ground and center electrodes so the platinum faces each other. I use the PP's as they seem to last longer - except the one plug that somehow lost a platinum tab last year.

Brands are a funny topic. Some folks on this forum are adimate about certain brands. I never really noticed a difference. I've used Motorcraft,Champion once I think and right now have Autolites. I would stay away from those Bosch 4 pronged things. Does not make sense to my why those are better. Electricity takes a single path of least resistance. So only 1 ground electrode will ever get the spark for any given coil fire. The other 3 then are left there in the combustion chamber to provide more sharp edges to get hot and start pre-detonation/pinging. My 2 cents.

marragtop 11-29-2005 10:35 AM

I've always used the double platinum Motorcrafts since that's what's recommended. No problems. If this is the first time you are changing them, best way to get to the plugs in through the wheel wells. You also might consider changing the wires while you are in there.

Viking2005 11-29-2005 09:52 PM

As marragtop stated, I would recommend staying with the Motorcraft plugs. I made it to over 140,000 miles on my 97 Explorer XLT SOHC 4.0L, that was one spark plug change every 30,000 miles. I never had problems wit the stock Motorcraft plugs. In my previous 93 Explorer I tried Bosch, no benefit, just costs more than Motorcraft. I have had problems with Autolite and Champion in past, I even had a Autolite plug come apart on me, insulator seperating from plug body.

pilot815 11-30-2005 07:18 AM

I just took off my plat +4's and put autolite PP. mileage is WAY WAY up, even though i can tell there is less power than before. Id rather have the mileage over power though.

Jharger 11-30-2005 10:18 AM

I can understand how mileage can be accounted for. How do you measure the power difference?

pilot815 11-30-2005 05:00 PM

Just the feel of acceleration, it doesnt seem to accelerate as fast. That, and i raced it against a stock sport trac at a drag strip. I ran at 85mph, and he ran at 65mph at best. But i also have an intake so it wasnt purely the plugs.

Sketer 05-30-2014 08:43 PM

I have AGRF-22P spark plugs that will need changed soon in my 1997 Ranger w/4.0L .
The problem is that number plug has been dropped. What plug number would replace it ?

Thanks -

Liquid_force 06-02-2014 04:02 PM

Looks like SP-500 if you want original equivalent Motorcraft.

I've used Autolite "OE style" in all my ford cars/trucks for the past ~15 yrs covering about 300k miles. Those have been turbo 2.3L, n/a 2.0L, 3.4L v8 and 4.6L DOHC.