Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Torque converter or tranny? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/432135-torque-converter-or-tranny.html)

solidpvc 11-21-2005 03:21 PM

Torque converter or tranny?

1990 FSB 302 (was 351) E4OD.

When taking off from a dead stop (or even a slight roll) it feel's like i'm driving a manual. The rpm's go up and the bronco starts moving but slowly. It feels like the transmission (or something) is slipping and it takes it a couple seconds to catch. It started about a week ago and from time to time I would put it in reverse to back out of the driveway and it wouldn't move at all. I would have to rev the engine while in reverse and it would slowly catch and start moving the beast. It would happen in drive everynow and then too. I did a search but didn't see this same problem. Would it be the T/C or the tranny? Also, it does it hot and cold.

I changed the tranny fluid in the pan a changed the filter about 8 months ago and the fluid seems fine. Then bronco has the tow package deal so it has the trans cooler.

Thanks
Solid.

Kemicalburns 11-21-2005 03:47 PM

sounds like its rebuild time. hope you have about 1800-2500 bucks

solidpvc 11-21-2005 03:51 PM

The quote I got the the rebuild is $1250 to $1500. I was hoping it's just the T/C.

Solid.

Super-Dayv 11-21-2005 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
hope you have about 1800-2500 bucks

Seriously? Damn!

I just bought a 89 FSB 302 and the overdrive will pull from a dead stop but once you let off the gas it quits pulling and only revs. I can leave it in Drive and go all day without a problem. What does that sound like?

Kemicalburns 11-21-2005 07:33 PM

the e4od is the most expensive auto tranny to rebuild.

Solid that price is very very low so take that into consideration. I would find out as much about that shop as you can. because if they dont do a good job where are you at then?

gov2mod 11-21-2005 10:20 PM

Super-Dayv, your 89 should have the AOD transmission not the E4OD and it's time for a rebuild. My 90 with 302 and AOD did exactly the same thing. As soon as you let off of the pedal a little OD started slipping. I tried to just drive it around town for awhile until OD quit altogether and now Drive does the same thing. Since I've got way too many vehicles (90, 91, 93 Broncos, 87F250, 90 F150)I just parked it for now and I'm driving another truck. I'm going to rebuild my AOD with some premium parts to make it tougher. I was going to build the 302 into a 347 but I just bought a complete disassembled 351 out of an 89 Bronco so now that's the plan. I hope to stroke it to at least a 393 but I may be open to some of the larger sizes as well.

solidpvc 11-22-2005 12:05 AM

From what I've seen other people pay for a rebuild, that did seem like a pretty good price IF they do a good rebuild. This with me pulling the tranny myself. It jumps to $2100 -$2300 if I bring the bronco in.

When I talked to the guy at the tranny shop, he seemed to know the rep of the E4OD and seemed to know about ford trannys. when I told him what year it was, he made the comment that the tranny was made before the ford update. He also commented on the typical problems with the E4OD but he could just be talking some smack. I haven't talked to anyone who has used the shop but I pass by there everyday and I have seen alot of hot rods and some heavy duty 4x4 trucks, and some 4x4 utility trucks. I'm going to start asking around town and see what people say.

Thanks for the help.

Solid.

gov2mod 11-22-2005 12:14 AM

Did he look at the transmission and confirm that it is a E4OD? Look at the pan, an AOD has a pan that's almost square and has an angle on each side towards the back. The E4OD has a real long oil pan. If you go to this website you can see the differences in the transmission oil pans between the AOD and the E4OD:

http://www.bulkpart.com/fordid.html

Kemicalburns 11-22-2005 08:53 AM

gov it has to be an e4od because that was the only od tranny mounted behind a 5.8.

that shop is speaking truth. the updates to that tranny was 93 which made it stronger.if you can remove it and deliver the tranny that would be a good price.

Gov2mod, you know that you should stay out of od if your going less then 55-60 with the AOD. that od band is small and cant handle around town driving. you will also find your in town mpg increase because of this

solidpvc 11-22-2005 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=gov2mod]Did he look at the transmission and confirm that it is a E4OD? Look at the pan, an AOD has a pan that's almost square and has an angle on each side towards the back. The E4OD has a real long oil pan. If you go to this website you can see the differences in the transmission oil pans between the AOD and the E4OD:

http://www.bulkpart.com/fordid.html[/QUOTE]

If this ? was for me:

I've changed the fluid and filter along with a new pan gasket so I'm positive it's an E4OD. I haven't taken it in to the shop yet, the qoute was over the phone. I was calling around trying to get a feel for the rebuild price.

Thanks Guys,

Solid.

gov2mod 11-22-2005 09:13 AM

My mistake. I only saw that it was a 302 and didn't notice it was formerly a 351W which would account for the E4OD. I knew that all of the 351W's previously used the C6 and I didn't think the E4OD came out in the Bronco's until 1991. But maybe it was a late 90. I know to not use the OD in an AOD in town but I didn't mean I was using it a low speeds. I just meant I wasn't out going on trips with the weak transmission, I was staying within a few miles of home.