Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Warn Hubs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/430112-warn-hubs.html)

calzone 11-15-2005 11:08 AM

Warn Hubs

what do i need to convert my auto hubs to manual Warn hubs? I have a 1990. with a manual transfer case. I saw the actual hubs on their website, but do i need some conversion kit too?

thanks.

bertha66 11-15-2005 11:30 AM

Give a call Warn and see what the kit they are selling comes with and if you need anything else, they should have a teck department to anser your questians.

oldbluebronco 11-15-2005 12:20 PM

I switched to manual on my 89 Bronco. You will need the wrench end(spanner Nut Socket) The kit will include a pair of new spanner nuts and then you need to uy the hubs. I bought the Warn Preimum for 4 wheelparts for about 85.00 or so then the kit was 35.00 or so. well worth the money and time. Now I am just waiting on a manual Transfer Case I won on ebay.Mark Ruiz
89 XLT Full Size Bronc
302ci Rebuilt
Tranny and Transfer Case rebuilt twice.
35x12.5x15 BFG All Terrians
3in body( I know Noby LIke These)8D

greystreak92 11-15-2005 12:27 PM

It does really depend on when the truck rolled off the assembly line and some options packages. Some model years used a three-bolt hub mounting design while others used a five-bolt design. As I understand it, the five-bolt was the more common pattern across the board for the D44 axle assembly so to make things simple, Warn and some other manufacturers make a kit to adapt their hubs (which are designed to fit the more common design) to fit with the lesser utilized design. To be certain, know the bolt pattern or at least how many, hold the hubs in place that are on the truck before you order. Warn tech support should be able to advise you from there.

scootin 11-16-2005 09:26 AM

Where do you get the spanner nut socket, and about how much??

slickerthanyou 11-16-2005 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by greystreak92
It does really depend on when the truck rolled off the assembly line and some options packages. Some model years used a three-bolt hub mounting design while others used a five-bolt design. As I understand it, the five-bolt was the more common pattern across the board for the D44 axle assembly so to make things simple, Warn and some other manufacturers make a kit to adapt their hubs (which are designed to fit the more common design) to fit with the lesser utilized design. To be certain, know the bolt pattern or at least how many, hold the hubs in place that are on the truck before you order. Warn tech support should be able to advise you from there.

Agree- That's what mine are I have Warn Premiums didn't need anything else. They come with new screws. I have however replaced those allen head crap aluminum things with stainless steel phillips as they are sometimes a son-of- a gun toi get off without stripping the heads- especially if your state used rock salt!-Bob

calzone 11-16-2005 10:32 AM

Does it make a difference if it's an Eddie Bauer edition?

oldbluebronco 11-16-2005 10:58 AM

I got the Spanner Wrench At AZ(autozone) I think. But I think you can get it at any autoparts store.

slickerthanyou 11-16-2005 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by calzone
Does it make a difference if it's an Eddie Bauer edition?

I don't think so. My warns are 6 screw holes and that's what my original auto hubs were so i didn't need the conversion kit.

scootin 11-16-2005 04:27 PM

Since the topic of Warn hubs has come up, maybe someone can help out. My passenger side Warn hub is loose, meaning it rattles and has a bit of play if you grab it. I can put a pry bar into the knuckle and pull it in toward center of the axle and it tightens up. What would cause this? Someone suggested the bearing nut, but jacking up the wheel and checking for any play - it simply doesn't have any - therefore eliminating the idea that it might be the wheel bearing. Thanks,

3broncocrazy 11-17-2005 12:15 PM

lockring? that's what i would check...

fordparts76 11-17-2005 04:34 PM

Just to clear up some confusion, I just converted my friends auto-lock hubs to manual. He went and bought the standard paired Warn lock-outs (didn't go with the premium, he's cheap!). Then he also bought the 'conversion kit' for $65. If you want to save a few bucks, go to your local Ford dealer and order qty. 2 of the following part number - FOTZ*1198*A. The MSRP is $21.28 per kit. Each kit comes with the inner spindle nut, the center lock washer, and the outer spindle nut. The kits are still available from Ford. I know this because I work for a Ford dealer in the parts department. Also, I bought my spindle nut socket at Autozone for around $25.

fordparts76 11-17-2005 04:37 PM

BTW...These will only work for F150's and Bronco's with 1/2 ton suspensions.

al_huryn 11-17-2005 05:00 PM

So will they work on a '92?Thanks....

fordparts76 11-17-2005 05:40 PM

YES!!! This setup should work on any 1/2 ton F150 or Bronco with the 'cap' style lock outs, from 1987 to 1996. But make sure you install the retainers that come with the Warn kit onto the ends of the axles or you may possibly cause some damage to the outer ujoints. ALSO, WILL NOT WORK WITH HAT STYLE FRONT HUBS!!!