Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Propane Injection on a 7.3 liter PSD (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/426079-propane-injection-on-a-7-3-liter-psd.html)

Allen_Bloodworth 11-02-2005 04:56 PM

Propane Injection on a 7.3 liter PSD

Any thoughts on adding a propane system to a 96 PSD? Pros and Cons. I here it helps burn off more diesel by product. Someone told me that it acts like nitrous in a gas engine. Is that true?

Beast12 11-02-2005 07:04 PM

Hi and welcome to FTE! Be sure to read this to help you around this site: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=300691 There are also State, Provincial and International Chapters located near the bottom of the main forum page.

Thread moved to Propane and Alternative Diesel Engine fuels forum. You should get some help here.

See ya on the boards! :-wink

-Matt :-tap

Dieseldan7.3 11-02-2005 09:47 PM

OHH it does wonders for powers but one screw up and your out an engine. I put propane on my 7.3 IDI w/ no turbo and it doesnt do too much but make alot of black smoke which is awesome. Ive heard countless horror stories of propane and Powerstrokes. One time a fellar was pulling his boat out of the water and kicked on the 'pane, the propane preignited in the cylinder and just snapped the connecting rods in half. Powerstrokes are about $6000 to replace. I would just get a chip,they are safe and improve mileage.

beeglej 11-03-2005 10:27 PM

My boss runs propane on his pull truck. that truck is unbelievably fast. The only thing I know about street applications is propane is a catylist that ionizes the fuel or something to make it burn more completely. If done correctly It increases mileage and power very well. But I don't know about any street kits to get.

BTW Nitrous adds oxygen and propane adds fuel. Thats why pull trucks use both.

Phydeaux88 12-13-2005 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by beeglej
The only thing I know about street applications is propane is a catylist that ionizes the fuel or something to make it burn more completely.

Propane is not a catalyst. It is another fuel form. Because it comes in mixed with the air it is more evenly distributed in the combustion chamber. Thus it promotes more even burning throughout the chamber and more complete combustion of the diesel.

As far as saftey goes you should avoid liquid phase systems because thats where you get into trouble. One drop of liquid propane can kill your engine. vapor phase systens do not run that risk.

MadMedic20 12-13-2005 01:13 PM

MSD makes a digital injection system that is supposed to be really good. I have read a few magazine reviews on it.

Phydeaux88 12-13-2005 08:14 PM

I asked MSD if their system was Vapor phase or Liquid phase. They didnt answer my question. Virtually all of the propane in PSD horor stories you hear involve Liquid phase systems.

Be careful

1997F-350 12-14-2005 03:56 AM

quadzilla runs a ps2k sytem on his 95. why dont you send him a pm?

clux 12-14-2005 04:02 PM

I agree with phydeaux, I don't believe it is a true catalyst, I think the propane causes a faster ingnition front in the cylinder and therefore more complete burn. My engine runs with more of a rattle when the propane is turned on (PS 2000 system). I really like propane, and the power is really good, or when set up properly it can really help out on fuel economy ( I havn't figured out how to get both). But you better have an iron will when it comes to knowing when to say enough. Too much propane can cause big heartache. And it is soooooo hard keeping from trying just a little more...........

Phydeaux88 12-14-2005 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by clux
I agree with phydeaux, I don't believe it is a true catalyst, I think the propane causes a faster ingnition front in the cylinder and therefore more complete burn. My engine runs with more of a rattle when the propane is turned on (PS 2000 system). I really like propane, and the power is really good, or when set up properly it can really help out on fuel economy ( I havn't figured out how to get both). But you better have an iron will when it comes to knowing when to say enough. Too much propane can cause big heartache. And it is soooooo hard keeping from trying just a little more...........

Ditto what clux said :-X22
Check my signature