Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   HPOP O-Rings easy to replace? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/424427-hpop-o-rings-easy-to-replace.html)

JeepMan69 10-28-2005 04:36 PM

HPOP O-Rings easy to replace?

First of all, hello again I need to ask the experts a question, so I came here 8D . I am posting this for my dad who has a F250 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Long bed with the 7.3L Diesel. He has had the truck since March of 2002, and it only has 26,000 miles on it.

Yesterday, it started leaking oil from the bottom of the bell housing. After tracing the oil up the engine found it leaking near the top. While out in the drive way our neighbor who also has the same truck stopped to see what my dad and I were doing. He looked at the location of the oil leak's source, and said that it was the High Pressure Oil Pump O-Rings. After reading about them going bad, I think he is probably right.

Although I believe the engine is still under warranty, my dad is afraid to bring his truck to the Ford dealership where he bought the truck because they recently changed ownership, and all their staff. He is afraid of them breaking other things to get him to have to come back and pay them since the majority of the truck is no longer under warranty.

I mainly work on Full Size Jeeps my self, and I just finished rebuilding one of my engines doing all the work, except the machining. It don't seem like changing the o-rings is that hard of a job, but I'm a little worried because it's a high pressure system. Has anyone here done this? Is there anything to watch out for or instruction guides I should look into purchasing?

Thanks in advance
JeepMan69

1997F-350 10-28-2005 05:05 PM

i would take it to another ford and let them do it. it's under warranty. that way if they screw it up its on them. dont know how hard of a job it is. is it possibe the ipr thats leaking?

superrangerman2002 10-28-2005 05:05 PM

Welcome to FTE!

If it's under warranty, you'd better take it in. I understand the situation, but it could cause potential problems down the road.

Try a different Ford dealership if you are concerned.

The absolute most it should cost is $100.

I'd say that's a steal in comparison to doing it myself if I were in your shoes.

wildbill1963 10-28-2005 06:43 PM

You can do it yourself. It does require a special tool, which you may be able to make yourself to pop the hoses off. We carry the O-rings and have the instruction on our site.

JeepMan69 11-01-2005 08:57 AM

Thanks guys! After telling my dad all the things you said, he decided he better take advantage of his warranty. So he took his truck to the dealership here in town, they did the job (took them 2 1/2 hours to do it), and they charged him the $100 deductible. So far it seems to be working good, hope it holds up. If not, next time I will buy the special tool and do it for him.

Thanks for all the great info! I knew you could tell me what we needed to know!

wildbill1963 11-01-2005 08:59 AM

Glad to see it all worked out for him.