Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1948-1960: 1949/1950 VIN # Cut off (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/423340-1948-1960-1949-1950-vin-cut-off.html)

1949f1 11-13-2005 01:52 PM

i just went out and double checked, the part's truck may be a m, hard to tell. my truck , for sure it is a number one. very easy to read. the man who had it for years lived in atlanta for years. also,it has small back window and same on part's truck.part's truck was bought in memphis by man i got it from, so it makes since it may be a m. my truck was black from factory and never has been painted.it has a single visor and had no heater from factory or rear bumper. tracy

texan2004 11-13-2005 03:11 PM

Thanks for the additional information Tracy. I will list the firewall stamping as a 1 and wait to see what I get from other Atlanta trucks. Safe bet the parts truck was built in Memphis and the driver was built in the ATL.

Blue50F-1 11-13-2005 06:30 PM

I found it!

I've never posted pics in a thread before, but I'll give it a shot here. The first one verifies the HP from the firewall plaque. The second is the best pic I could get of the firewall stamp. The stamp is VERY faint, but maybe someone who's more used to looking at them can get something out of it--OR--maybe somebody will see it and have an idea how to bring it out better.

... see post below - moderator

texan2004 11-13-2005 08:19 PM

Add the photos to your gallery or start a new album in the gallery with the pictures. Once it's on the FTE site, you should be able to copy/paste them into the thread. I've always had to have the album open in one window and the post open in another to get this to work. Take a few hacks at it and you should be able to get it to work.

This is interesting. Two HP's in one day, though one may be an MP.

Blue50F-1 11-13-2005 10:06 PM

Picture re-try

It won't let me edit again, so I'll try to stick them in this post.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=95334&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=95332&.jpg

There we go. The best of what I've got. Hope it helps!

texan2004 11-13-2005 10:26 PM

That's definitely an HP. Hmmm.

jeffh 11-19-2005 09:20 PM

OK, I can finally post about my truck -

1 - 1950 Ford F3
2 - VIN # 98BY 358967 (the B may be an R)
3 - Bed - Raised Panel
4 - To the best of my knowledte, the original bed
5 - Transmission - 4 spd non-synch
6 - Floor shift
7 - # stamped into the firewall - 98R Y 358967 SC (hard to make out, it's been lightly painted over, but this also matches above number).

texan2004 11-19-2005 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeffh
OK, I can finally post about my truck -

1 - 1950 Ford F3
2 - VIN # 98BY 358967 (the B may be an R)
3 - Bed - Raised Panel
4 - To the best of my knowledte, the original bed
5 - Transmission - 4 spd non-synch
6 - Floor shift
7 - # stamped into the firewall - 98R Y 358967 SC (hard to make out, it's been lightly painted over, but this also matches above number).

Jeff,

Any chance that "S" is a "K". You are correct, the "B" is an "R".

The umber you provided for the firewall stamping appears to be from the VIN plate on the firewall. Somewhere on the firewall, not on a separate plate but onto the firewall itself, there should be another set of numbers stamped. The stamping could be rather faint. My guess is that the letters KC would be intere somewhere. From that #, we can probably tell you what date the truck was built and it would hep us determine a paint code for that color if it is an orginal color.

BTW - I think that picture of your grandfather wiht the truck back in the day is really cool. It's nice that you get a chance to put something back together tahat was once his. Wish I'd have had a similar opportunity,

Thanks,

Carl

rhopper 11-20-2005 09:15 PM

1948 F-1
vin 87HC-*153148* data plate also has "KC" stamped.
Raised panel bed, appear original.
Transmission unknown, but floor mounted.
firewall stamping: 7KC115
Date "OCT 11 1948" yellow stencil painted on firewall.

texan2004 11-20-2005 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by rhopper
1948 F-1
vin 87HC-*153148* data plate also has "KC" stamped.
Raised panel bed, appear original.
Transmission unknown, but floor mounted.
firewall stamping: 7KC115
Date "OCT 11 1948" yellow stencil painted on firewall.

Thansk for the information rhopper and congratulations. Yours is the latest 48 in the collection (highest VIN sequence #) to date.

nick purdun 11-20-2005 10:01 PM

what do you mean by raised bed? Right now i am redoing my dads 50 F-1. i was woundering if any one would know where i could get a used wiring harness for it too the cloth has rotted off. i bought a rebuild flat head for it for $300 i thought that was a great deal so i bought it. I was also wounding if any one would know where i could get a title for it too. that got last years a go. i will put my vin info on a little later when i get a chance to look at it.

texan2004 11-21-2005 12:17 AM

Nick,

Appreciate any information you can provide, especially on a 1950. The F-1's in 1951 and 1952 had flat sided beds with square sided stake pockets. the 48-50 F-1's had raised sections stamped into the sides of the bed and the rear fenders had a notch built into them that allowed them to fit around the raised panels in the bed. The 51's and 52's did not require the notched section so those rear fenders are flat where they mate to the bed. Hope this helps explain it. If not, take a look at some of the members galleries with 48-52's and you should see a difference.

Reason we are asking for this:

Some late 1950's are "rumored to have the flatsided beds. We are assuming that Ford either ran out of the early style beds or the early style fenders at some of the plants that built these trucks and began installing the 1951/52 beds on some of the late 50's.

Same goes for the column shift and for the large rear window vs. the smaller rear windows in the 1948-50's. I've never seen a 48-50 with the large window but I have seen "one" with a factory column shift. I have not yet found one with an original flat sided bed but I di find one that had a flat sided bed fornm 51/52 with the fenders form a 48-50.

We are attempting to either confirm or debunk these rumors. Best way to do this is with help from owners.

If you can locate the stamping on the firewall, we can likely get you the buyild date for your truck and perhaps an original color. We are still trying to nail down these numbers/codes as they appear to have varied somewhat from plant to plant.

As far as a wiring harness goes, you might want to start a thread asking about this. Chances are pretty good that you won't find a good used one since they are all 50+years old. I have just finished dismantling mine to the frame and I chucked all the wires. Like yours, they were all pretty much toast. Since the wiring is pretty simple on these things (not even a fuse box) and the wiring diagram is readily available, I figured it would be pretty easy to build my own when the time comes.

$300.00 for a rebuilt flathead is a great deal. Does this guy have another one?? I need one that is at least suitable for rebuild and would, pay that for it.

I await your information.

Thanks,

Carl

jeffh 11-21-2005 08:51 PM

Carl, I'll recheck my firewall for the correct info. Will have to wait until after Thanksgiving, though...

texan2004 11-21-2005 10:35 PM

No problem. Again, thanks for participating.

nick purdun 11-23-2005 07:28 PM

i have 3 vin plates for 4/50 fords pick ups the one on it right now says it a F2 but i know it is not for the 5 lug wheels. is the cab saposed to match the frame no. and vin plate? the reason i have 3 plates is becuase trying to get titles, but each way around the system has been un sussufull.
hopefully tomaorrow i can go or and look at the truck. right now it is deer hunting so been prety busy.
nick