Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   Junkyard Two Dollar Day! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/421170-junkyard-two-dollar-day.html)

DVLSH1 10-18-2005 11:36 PM

Ill go if you send me some airline tickets frm el paso :)

jdmorg 10-20-2005 08:41 AM

Have you been there before frederic? I'm thinking about making the trip, but am not 100% yet. Remember seeing many Broncos up there? It's usually kind of tough to get a 24 year old up at 6am on a Saturday.:p

frederic 10-20-2005 01:39 PM

Sure DVLS... tickets are in the mail. Wait by your mailbox and hold your breath, and don't worry about that blue color of you face, that's normal ;-)

JDmorg, I've been going for years. The inventory of the junkyard changes pretty much every week, so I really can't predict what will be "out" or not... there's always at least four wide rows of trucks, and typically at least a third of them are full size fords of some kind. Van's included. There is enough interchangability between the full size ford trucks that I've never really worried about a specific vehicle being there. Though, if you need rear body parts of a bronco, I can understand why this is important to you :D

Generally, it's a "I wonder what will be there" until you arrive, then it's "Aaah, I'll rape this and that" when you do get there. That's what I do, but honestly, in the years I've been going I've not been disappointed.

Though one year, the torrential rains was "unpleasant". But, I was there for eight hours anyway!

jdmorg 10-21-2005 08:12 AM

Alright...well the plan is an early happy hour, an early and schloppy night, and with any luck, minimal hangover tomorrow. I'm gonna have to find my old coveralls and boots...looks like tomorrow isn't going to be the driest I've ever been.

frederic 10-21-2005 10:12 AM

No, it's going to be wet for sure. As always, I spray myself liberally with scotchguard and change to dry clothing when I get back to the truck.

So, I'll see you tomorrow. You can't miss my truck... white F350 crewcab with a black, giant homemade bumper, and red "bottom" most of the way around the the truck (I never finished painting it).

I'm easily spotted too... I'm the bald guy with glasses dragging a yellow wire-mesh cart around taking very odd parts :)

ford390gashog 10-21-2005 10:26 AM

they have something here like that but no 20.00 cover it is only 2.00 every day and sale days you can get a seat with mounts and motor for 5.99 or 19.99 normal price. glass is 5.75 on sale. engines 80.00 trannies and t cases 37.00.

frederic 10-21-2005 02:11 PM

That's fantastic Gashog... except I don't live in California :D

frederic 10-21-2005 08:06 PM

as it turns out, it doesn't look like I'm going after all.

My minor cold has gradually turned worse over the week, and if I wrench in the rain for several hours.... I'm going to regret it next week :(

jdmorg 10-25-2005 08:36 AM

frederic, I don't blame you. I took a look out the window, and groaned a little bit. Between the cold, the rain, and a pretty healthy dose of that 'I just got hit by a bus' feeling...I went back to bed. I was kind of pumped about it too though.

I doubt they have rain dates?

frederic 10-25-2005 10:25 AM

No, they don't. They hold it anyway. I went one year in torrential rain, and I couldn't see anything as my glasses were either covered in water, or fogged up, or both. Though at the time I was so "hard core" I stayed most of the day anyway, collecting parts for a homemade sports car. This was when it was "dollar day" instead of "two dollar day". Got myself a full front C4 corvette suspension, a GM "big car" FWD steering rack, four older GM steel rims with the same brand/size tire/wear pattern for "rollers", a pair of T3 Dodge turbos that had very little play (i.e. usable), and a truckload of other parts. Unfortunately, that time I hadn't packed additional clothing expecting my cowboy hat to keep my dry (not when you're bending over, or lying in the water removing steering racks and suspensions :( ), so the trip home was more than unpleasant. I was sopping wet and the heater in my truck, while amazingly hot and wonderful, still didn't keep me warm at all.

Though, we can wait until June, which is the next one. That one usually is at the Allentown yard... which is two hours northwest of me. Probably a little further for you, and you're welcome to head here, and we can go together.

I guess for the next six months I have to suffer monkeyyards with ripoff artists, and poor selection in parts :(

Which is okay I guess... I mostly needed wiring related items, and I have enough boxes (about 20) of wiring cut-offs I could splice together for my project. Just easier to pull a complete or nearly complete harness, make a few minor changes, rather than from scratch.