Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Rollover safety? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/419502-rollover-safety.html)

jgc2521 10-12-2005 02:26 PM

Rollover safety?

Ok... I have a delima. My mom says that shes worried about the bronco rolling over. Its a '92 w. a 6inch lift. It shouldn't have problems hu? Well if someone could post a link to somewhere that says that there isnt any rollover concerns or somethin i'd be a thankfull man.
-couch

McLeod 10-12-2005 04:08 PM

This won't help your cause any, but a six inch lift increases your center of gravity and increases chance of rollover at high speed if you have to perform a drastic manuever.

If you drive sanely, you shouldn't have a problem, though.
Sorry bud.

jgc2521 10-12-2005 05:09 PM

Yeah i knew the lift would make it a little tipsy. But my mom thinks that theres like an epidemic of big mustangs rolling over. She was worried about it like just deciding to flip over one day

jgc2521 10-12-2005 05:11 PM

I think she is thinking about the small broncos (Bronco II?) am i correct?

McLeod 10-12-2005 05:18 PM

Bronco II's have a reputation of rolling over.
They are narrow and tall.

I wouldn't say a fullsize Bronco is tipsy, even with a lift.
Prudence just needs to be exercised at high speeds.

I got sucked into a soft shoulder at 60 and trying to get it back on road instead of further into ditch was tricky. The return to the pavement was less than smooth and somewhat frightful. Pay attention to the road and problems like this are minimized.

aurgathor 10-12-2005 07:46 PM

In comparison to most passanger cars, a Bronco with 6" lift is much more prone to rollover. You just need to drive with that in mind since the Bronco won't roll over until you do something stupid. If you do a sharp turn at high speed with a car, you'll usually just slide off the road. Do the same thing in a Bronco, especially with lift, and you could roll over very easily. There's actually a paragraph or two in this in the user manual, too.

Because of the mention of "mom" ( ;) ) I assume you're fairly young, and based on my own experience, one advice I can give you is to be very careful on slippery (wet/snowy/muddy/etc.) surfaces and in turns. Even though I got lucky, a few times I got pretty damn close to get into a big accident....

jgc2521 10-12-2005 08:58 PM

yeah, im only 16. im gonna have to take out a loan and get another job. I've been drivn my dad '05 f-250 4x4 6.0 since he has a work truck... but he says its time for me to by my own. So this is were im at

tigerhawk_212 10-12-2005 09:08 PM

Which size tire are you running on your bronco? I hope they are at least 35x12.50s on wheels with the proper backspacing, but if not, that could definently increase your chances of rolling over. You need to get a wider stance to help stabilize the truck because its higher, so if u think of it that way i wouldn't think it would be any more or less prone to rolling if it had the proper setup.

jgc2521 10-12-2005 09:50 PM

its some 35 inch dunlop radials

Chrisconsin 10-13-2005 02:20 AM

Have your mom buy you a full body roll cage :rolleyes:

- and if shes in a good mood, then buy me one too

greystreak92 10-13-2005 01:57 PM

I am going to assume that those 35's are much wider than the stock tires were. Thats a good thing too since the first rule when lifting ANY vehicle is to widen its footprint. If it gets wider at the bottom when its COG gets raised, it keeps the likelihood of the vehicle overcoming its own COG down. Thats not to say it can't happen. I watched a 17 y/o roll a Chevy Cavalier side-over-side down a two-lane side street because he just wanted to see how far he could push the little thing. He found out and his insurance bought three OTHER people new cars as a result. Not trying to scare you, just making the point that drivers tend to lose sight of the laws of physics as well as the traffic laws and it doesn't really matter WHAT vehicle you are driving. If you make a bone-headed maneuver or just lose your concentration for some reason, you could be driving a Volvo station wagon and still end up greasy-side-up. If I had my choice I'd put a young driver behind the wheel of a lifted Bronco sooner than I would my '05 Mustang. The Bronco will at not handle as well, its bigger, heavier, less apt to crumple (in the important places) in the event of a collision, and believe me any ideas of thundering down the Interstate at 90 mph+ will beocme much scarier propositions than they would in the Bronco. In short it will NOT give the driver a false sense of security like a high-powered sport coupe or sedan would.

You have one distinct advantage in this case. You are getting information and good answers BEFORE something happens. I have taught four of my siblings to drive and I wish a couple more of them had had the common sense that you are exhibiting by asking first. Thats one of the reasons for the quote in my signature. Knowledge is power and certainly in this instance its far less costly than jumping onto the Bronco and "finding out" would be. Good luck with Mom and remind her that she would worry about you no matter what vehicle you were driving. The reasons would just be different with a different vehicle.

JonK 10-13-2005 09:39 PM

Sorry to let you know...Big Broncos Roll.....Mine did!
Good Luck!

Chrisconsin 10-14-2005 12:41 AM

R-o-l-l - C-a-g-e

aurgathor 10-14-2005 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by JonK
Sorry to let you know...Big Broncos Roll.....Mine did!

What did you do?

aurgathor 10-14-2005 04:08 AM

If I had to take out a loan on a car, I'd think twice before buying it. For 10+ years, the most I paid (purchase price) for a car was $300. There are several good things about cars that very cheap:
a) if they have a serious problem, people usually don't spend much money on them, just replace them
b) they are cheap to insure -- in your case the insurance could be significant, and if you have a beater, then you only need liability insurance.