Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Biodiesel ignition Q's (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/418604-biodiesel-ignition-qs.html)

onioncasserole 10-09-2005 04:50 PM

Biodiesel ignition Q's

From what I understand when using Biodiesel in your engine you have to retard the timing 2-3 degrees. Why? Can you overcome this by using a hotter ignition system?

444dieselrod 10-09-2005 05:02 PM

I have never heard that. so far no one has had any issue with out retarding the timeing that I know of.

maybe because the way bio is made, any residual methane jacks with the timing and retarding it will counter act it.

just speculations....

Diesel Rod

fellro86 10-10-2005 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by onioncasserole
From what I understand when using Biodiesel in your engine you have to retard the timing 2-3 degrees. Why? Can you overcome this by using a hotter ignition system?

I can't answer about the timing, but last I knew, there was no ignition in a diesel, only glow plugs or preheaters, which only are used for cold starts. Compression creates heat, and the heat is what ignites the fuel, so there is no adjustment that can be made to control when the ignition would happen, only when the fuel is injected...

fabmandelux 10-10-2005 10:31 AM

IP Timing

Originally Posted by onioncasserole

The only reason to retard IP timing is to lower NOX emissions. Biodiesel is an oxygenated fuel with a higher cetain rating than dinodiesel, It will generaly raise cyl temp by 50-100 deg , raising NOX emissions. By retarding 2-3 deg it will lower emissions. But it isn't required. FABMANDELUX.

dogman 10-10-2005 08:00 PM

Here is a site on biodiesel, are truck are going to it. www.hugrsystems.com

SpartanDieselTech 10-10-2005 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Biodiesel is an oxygenated fuel

Really?!

Any clue on what percent by mass of oxygen?

fabmandelux 10-10-2005 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Really?!

Any clue on what percent by mass of oxygen?

Depends on feedstock, approx 6 -10 percent. We had ours tested: 8.4 percent.FABMANDELUX.

kennedyford 10-13-2005 07:41 PM

Fabmandelux is the man when it comes to this stuff. Guys read up at biodiesel dot org and ask this man here, youll get it right

bigredtruckmi 10-23-2005 07:22 PM

No engine modifications are needed for the soy - biodiesel. go to www.biodiesel.org they have all the info you need.

Brian460 10-24-2005 08:44 PM

I didn't really notice a power improvement but, my truck seems to consistently get 2 mpg better on B20 than straight dino. Which to me would indicate a small power gain which I would assume is from more BTU's per gallon.

fabmandelux 10-24-2005 09:28 PM

More BTU's?

Originally Posted by Brian460
I didn't really notice a power improvement but, my truck seems to consistently get 2 mpg better on B20 than straight dino. Which to me would indicate a small power gain which I would assume is from more BTU's per gallon.

Actually the btu value is slightly LOWER than dinodiesel, but it is an oxygenated fuel, And has a higher CETANE RATING than dinodiesel. If it is made with hydrogenated oil it has hydrogen added, which makes the cetane rating even higher.FABMANDELUX.

Brian460 10-24-2005 09:34 PM

I didn't know that. I have been reading a lot of the post on alternative diesel it is very interesting.

bigredtruckmi 10-25-2005 06:35 PM

Yes the biodiesel from crystalflash @ 5% soy is 51 min cetane. VS 40-42 cetane for #2. Just like adding racing fuel to your car.:-D

fabmandelux 10-25-2005 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
Yes the biodiesel from crystalflash @ 5% soy is 51 min cetane. VS 40-42 cetane for #2. Just like adding racing fuel to your car.:-D

And canolla oil is even better at min of 68! FABMANDELUX.:-fire