Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum74/)
-   -   Ad Blocking Compromise (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/417976-ad-blocking-compromise.html)

FTE Ken 10-07-2005 01:39 PM

Ad Blocking Compromise

As many of you may already know, FTE implemented counter-measures yesterday that defeat many ad-blockers.

We see ad blockers as enabling users to utilize the site without contributing to it. We have more hardware in place and use more bandwidth than ever before and as we grow these needs grow as well. We have to recoup our operating expenses via advertising.

We believe attempts to block ads only serve to hurt the very sites these users claim to enjoy. Just imagine if everyone ran ad blockers -- the majority content sites would shut down or become entirely subscriber based. On the one hand, such users say they support a site, on the other they insist on making sure the site can't fund the services.

This is not to say we are insensitive to users who feel they contribute to the site by helping many other users. Quite the opposite is true. We will be implementing changes to our counter-measures later on today:

Users with over 500 posts will be able to see all content even if they block ads.

We hope this is a fair compromise for everyone. While we don't agree with many of the counter-arguments put forth, we do value your input so we're making this compromise.

Torque1st 10-07-2005 02:51 PM

That is more than fair Ken. It recognizes users that have been excellent contributors and allows them some leeway (not that they need any blocking SW at FTE).

At the same time maybe we can help educate users about spyware and tracking cookies that are so misunderstood by some Internet users. Cookies from most legitimate Internet sites are not bad. We have a privacy policy here for everyone to read that explains the FTE cookies fairly well. We also do not use spyware or the so called infamous "tracking cookies". Unfortunately there are a number of sites that DO use tracking cookies and there are many good explanations of how those work on the Internet.

Franken-Truck 10-07-2005 08:22 PM

Only argument you'll get from me is that compromise shouldn't be necessary. Users should have to deal with ads if they feel they don't have to pony up the dough for a subscription. I'd personally take offense and ban anyone who purposley and knowingly tried to sabotage my source of income. . .but then again, I'm not as nice as you :-X22

ford390gashog 10-07-2005 09:49 PM

why not make it easier to contribute to the website? BITOG has a donation button and you get a site supporter logo next to your name. or bring back the 2.50 a month club fte option.

Users with over 500 posts will be able to see all content even if they block ads.

just curious but what does that mean??

fordborn 10-07-2005 10:19 PM

I think the compromise is more then fair for the amount of information we receive here. I agree with Torque1st though, to many people are not aware of the difference between ad's and cookies.

On another note it is quite possible to put FTE in your trusted or allowed sites, this will allow ads to be seen here but keep your ad blocking still intact for other sites. In other words you do not have to turn off you ad blocking all together just for FTE.

If this site can make money just by having me open up the page then I think that is great, kind of like TV, you don't have to watch the ads but they are still there and thats what pays the bills.

Ken, thanks for the update, the compromise and the information. Hope this will help the members understand more what and why things have to be the way they are.

Lead_Foot 10-08-2005 12:11 AM

even when i was on 56k the ads on this site didnt give me any problems, now i'm on cable and i dont really care how many ads you shove on here, i feel invincible ;)

FTE Ken 10-08-2005 04:47 AM

The $2.50 Club FTE option was causing headaches due to members changing over to yearly after a couple of months, and it triggering a bug in the VBulletin software that we have to manually override.

Icicle 10-11-2005 09:02 AM

Good work at once again going to great lengths to make everyone happy.

To be quite honest, I think that you should bring about some sort of a contribute now above and beyond the CLUB FTE subscriptions, Id contribute on top of my FTE membership if given the option of dong so............

Franken-Truck 10-11-2005 03:06 PM

Ever thought of giving out free trials? Maybe if people could get a feel for what ClubFTE is like before they pay up they'd be more willing to pony up :-X22 Of course, I dunno how much money could be lost if half the site decided to go free for a week (or how ever long the free trial period was. . .) :-X19

One last thing and then I'll be quiet. . .I spent a LONG time on a gaming site that was having the same problems your having now. Not enough donations and people were blocking/weren't clicking adds. So after asking forum goers to spend a few seconds and click an ad, they set it up so they had too. You could get to the site, and read the news, but in order to access the forums, you had to click an ad of your choice once in a 24 hour period. Solved there problem at least. . .just a thought :-D

A. Michael Foxtrot 10-11-2005 06:12 PM

Ahh...This would explain why suddenly I couldn't view the forums with my firewall up.

FTE Ken 10-12-2005 09:44 AM

A couple of things...

1. Free trials: Works in the offline world. Does not work in the online world. Some people keep re-registering new accounts to get the freebie.

2. Asking people to click on ads: extremely unethical for a publisher to ask people to do that. Advertisers want sales, not clicks. Bogus clicks that do not convert to sales does nothing for the advertiser. Most Internet ad companies, by contract, don't want publishers to ask people to click on ads. The only time I would ever ask that is if Ford ever ran another survey on this site (ie, I'd ask people to fill out the survey, since that's what the advertiser is paying for, not for sales).

Cruiseomatic 11-14-2005 02:29 AM

Theres' Ad's here? Wow,I've only seen 2 or 3 on here when I visit. Then a list of links. I have noticed that when I go to a page,the header loads,then a few seconds later,the rest comes up.

I don't have a problem with the ad's really. I know why I load FTE so slowly,Its my computer. Two ad's plus links aren't THAT bad. I'd support FTE but I don't know how and money is so tight right now. I know some of you'll say "It's only $15 a year." Pfft,You be me. 15 is alot for me.

From my knowlege of Ad blocking software,It just hides them in the browser,Your connection still pulls them in. So in theory,"Blocking Ads" Does you no good except that you can't see them.

I say "Limited Knowlege" Because I don't mess with them hardly ever. I just ignore the ads' and concentrate on what I intend to do.

Just my $2.00
(Adjusted for inflation) :-X10