Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   tonneau cover (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/415928-tonneau-cover.html)

MintHill68f100 09-30-2005 03:27 PM

tonneau cover

hey i got a 94 L and was seriously thinking of putting a fiberglass tonneau on the back of it. what do u guys think would be the best way to go and with what brand. im lookin for cost effective but stylish as well.

MustangGT221 09-30-2005 08:28 PM

Do you put things in the back that would be taller than the bed rails? If so, that cover would probably have to come off each time you do so and risk damage. I thought about one of those for my truck, but went to a pace edwards roll up tonneau cover. It's got brackets that mount to the side of the bed, and a small canister that mounts in front. When it's rolled out, it's pretty solid as it has aluminum interlocking pieces underneath with canvas on top. I couldn't stand on it but certainly strong enough for it's required purpose.

There are a lot of tonneaus out there but those fiberglass ones do look good.

MintHill68f100 09-30-2005 11:04 PM

im not wantin to haul anything if i can help it but maybe the occasional load of groceries. i do think that the fiberglass one would be the way to go. from what i understand it helps with fuel mileage. is this true at all?

haystacker 10-01-2005 12:47 PM

I have a lund fiberglass cover and the quality is very high. They are about 50lbs. but never take it off. i have 02 Harley at 440 H.P. so don't see much fuel savings with the cover.

spidk43 10-01-2005 03:04 PM

We've got a tonneau on our 01 screw, and I hate it. Its really only nice to have if you aren't going to move ANYTHING or if you're going to fill up your entire bed. It's one of the canvas deals with the aluminum rails. It was good when we went up north and packed everything in the bed, but if you're only going to throw in the recycling or some groceries or pop cans or whatever, you might have to spend some time crawling in the bed to retrieve any lost items. I like mine, without the cover. Just throw my bags in the back and go, no problems. Just my 2 cents

Matt

MintHill68f100 10-01-2005 07:16 PM

i mean im a college student so i really dont tote much with it at all just to and from class really. i think the black canvas would be good if mine was black i just think the fiberglass would make it look smoother

MustangGT221 10-02-2005 09:31 AM

Yeah, fiberglass would probably be a good choice...

Gas mileage.......eh....maybe a little bit but...I wouldn't even be considering that.

MintHill68f100 10-02-2005 05:17 PM

how much do they usually run for a good one. but then u also have to get it painted too though right?

MustangGT221 10-02-2005 07:22 PM

Theres a few different types out there, i duno what they go for, they're not cheap.

Yea, you'd have to paint them too.