Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oklahoma Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum92/)
-   -   Moving to OKC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/415895-moving-to-okc.html)

hipropos 09-30-2005 12:21 PM

Moving to OKC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it looks like me and the miss's are moving to oklahoma in jun of next year.
can i get some info on the area. shes in the navy, getting stationed at tinker, i retire from the navy in jan and i will be looking for a job.
if we can get some help we would be much app.
we are looking forward to the move and getting to do some 4X, we love the races too, drag and sprints.
cant wait to move for the last time.

hotrod48 09-30-2005 12:42 PM

Welcome to Oklahoma soon. I noticed you are currently in Hawaii. Are you all stationed at Pearl Harbor? My cousin just moved back to the mainland from there after Christmas. I probably won't be much help being I am about 40-45 minutes from Tinker, but I can try.

I enjoy 4-wheeling but really can't afford it right now. There are a few places around to 4-wheel. For drag racing Thunder Valley is going to be the closest, it is in Noble which is next to Norman. I am currently running in the High School drags there with my '48'. For sprint cars and other roundy-round cars the State Fair Speedway will be the closest in OKC. There are a few other tracks but they are a little drive.

If you have anymore questions just ask I sure someone will be able to answer them.

hotrod48

hipropos 09-30-2005 10:00 PM

the misses hipropos

:) I am the misses in all of this and looking forward to the change in scenerary myself. I am wondering if anyone can give me the lo-down on the weather/seasons. With two boys wanting snow, does it happen? The last three duty stations I have taken them to, there was nothing but rain/cold, rain/hot. As far as my husband was talking, we are wanting the 4x4, fishing, hunting (southern thing). Let me know.

NoMo 10-01-2005 01:13 AM

Welcome to OK (well, soon enough) :)

My uncle retired from the Navy stationed at Tinker. He lives in Del City (I think- who knows, they all run together!). Anyway, seems like a decent town and it's not too far from the base. I just never understood why the Navy is in OKC... not much water around there. ;)

As for the weather, you'll get some, but not a lot, of snow. Mostly rain/cold and drought/hot. :D

hipropos 10-01-2005 02:33 AM

Okay, the Mrs again.... :-) Here comes the big question....... what is the rent like on a 3-4 bedroom house (no appt, no condo but a REAL house)

NoMo 10-01-2005 03:19 AM

Get a "mover's guide" from www.okcchamber.com

I did a search at Google for "Oklahoma City rental prices" and came up with this site-
http://okcity.rentclicks.com

Since Norman is a college town, prices there will be a little inflated compared to other areas- so don't be scared off by those listings.

hipropos 10-01-2005 03:26 AM

Hey NoMO.... I appreciate the links. So far, everything there is a heck of a lot cheaper than Hawaii..... The husband is asking why you are up so late. Being 10:30, making it around 2:30 your time, if I am guessing right.

Mrs...

SwOkcOffRoader 10-01-2005 03:17 PM

welcome to the area, umm, next year......i live in midwest city, about 5 miles north of tinker...the rent on our 3 bedroom, 2 car garage house on a 1 acre lot is $675 a month.....but our house is fairly old with drafts and all that.....to get a nice home thats 20 yrs old or less your probably looking between 700-900 a month....thats the typical market though, if you look hard enough you can find better deals...if ya'll need any help, directions and what not, feel free to get ahold of me and i will help with whatever i can.....

BTW: you were close, it was actually 3:30 am when he posted!

NoMo 10-05-2005 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by hipropos
Hey NoMO.... I appreciate the links. So far, everything there is a heck of a lot cheaper than Hawaii..... The husband is asking why you are up so late. Being 10:30, making it around 2:30 your time, if I am guessing right.

Sorry for the late replay, I don't get to check in here every day.

No doubt about OK being cheaper than HI. We don't have to float/fly everything into the state. :D

I normally work evenings/nights 6pm-2am Central Time. But on 10/1 I was covering for a co-worker who was on vacation. Got to pull a 6pm-6am shift that night. :-rip

Before you leave HI, be sure to look up the user Monsta here at FTE. He moved to Hawaii some time back- super nice guy!

cigarxtc 10-06-2005 08:45 AM

I hope the move and transition goes smoothly. I think you'll enjoy the easy going way of life, here in Oklahoma. Beware, the people are super friendly. You may get waves from strangers as you're driving down the road. :D Also, before you leave Hawaii you must read the "You Know You are From Oklahoma When...." thread in this forum. Now it won't make much sense now. But read it again after being here for awhile and you will understand. ;)
Something to consider is rent out here is almost equivalent to a house payment. If you want an investment I would look into buying. :D

Silver Streak 10-06-2005 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Something to consider is rent out here is almost equivalent to a house payment. If you want an investment I would look into buying. :D

Absolutely! Even if you buy a house only to sell it in 3 years, you will be money ahead to buy it.

As for weather, we have two seasons. The first season is real hot. Summers usually are over 100 degrees a lot, although the last few have been pretty mild. It seems like in 02 we had 50+ consecutive days over 100. The heat isn't the bad thing, it's the humidity. I have known people that come here from Arizona looking for heat relief only to find that it's worse here. The second season is real cold where temps plunge downward to between 10 and 20 degrees. In between the two seasons we have about a week of beautiful transition weather. And just wait until the wind blows 250 mph in a 1/4 mile wide circle. That's always a good time. But if you don't like our weather, just wait 15 or 20 minutes and it will be different. We usually have one really good snow each year. If it hasn't happened by spring break, that's when it will be. Ice storms are frequent. That should give you some things to dread for the next several months! :D

hipropos 10-07-2005 02:54 AM

Thanks for the replys,
Ive been for a bit. we know about the people and how friendly they can be. im from Tenn way back in the hills and the misses is from Miss. and we cant wait to get back to were the natives are friendly.as far as weather we lived in washington state for 3 years cold all the time. and the wind blows here allthe time too.
looking forward to some fishing and some real off roading

MikeB 88 10-07-2005 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=NoMo]No doubt about OK being cheaper than HI. We don't have to float/fly everything into the state. :D/QUOTE]

We may not have to fly or float everything in, but we do have to pay tolls to get in or out of the state. Unless one takes the back roads!!

Mike B

NoMo 10-07-2005 09:52 AM

So true Mike!

And the back-roads are smoother too! :D

hipropos 10-07-2005 10:45 PM

what are the laws with having the neon lights and stuff. or blue headlights