Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   bronco starting problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/414665-bronco-starting-problems.html)

david nissley 09-26-2005 01:50 PM

bronco starting problems

I have an 82 drive train in my full size bronco. It had the variable venturi carb. system in it. Before i bought it it had an autolite carb. put on it wsa running fine until about three weeks ago. It started to buck and carry on and then died and would not start back up. Replaced the fuel filter and it straightened out for a day and then didi it again. I then replaced the ignition control module and it acted fine for exactly a week and then it just died while in transit. Lost spark, since we have replaced the coil,plugs,cap,rotor,dist.,starter selenoid,starter,computer, crankshaft postion sensor,timing gear and chain, water pump,fuel pump,and checked the grounding for the body and nmotor. The part i can't seem to get is the calibrator on the brain. We have spark to the coil and to the cap but no spark to the plugs, The motor cranks but no kick over it has gas we can smell it got air got compression jsut no spark what are we looking over?????? PLEASE HELP I AM GOING BALD OVER THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperBlue 09-26-2005 02:03 PM

Sounds like something is wrong with the rotor. I would recheck everything in the cap.

david nissley 09-26-2005 03:37 PM

bronco starting problems

new cap and new rotor still think it may be inside the cap?

blue beast 09-26-2005 04:02 PM

what year frame you said 82 drive train

blue beast 09-26-2005 04:06 PM

the bearings in the dist might have some play in them pull it out make sure you mark everything then check the side to side play and how it rotates

david nissley 09-26-2005 04:16 PM

brand new distrubutor 82 frame and drive train and 86 body

blue beast 09-26-2005 04:29 PM

do you have the old cap and rotor id put them back on and also try this out for s**t and giggles a couple of bottles of gas line dryer I have a 86 bronco that I hardly ever fill up all the way and the condensation was making it sputter youll probably see my other posts but if you replaced filter and it ran for a whille that might have something to do with it and now your carb is filled up with water and only a little gas can come out the jets

david nissley 09-26-2005 04:46 PM

we got good gas just dont have spark but i think at this point i am willing to try almost anything

blue beast 09-26-2005 04:51 PM

its the gas that was already in the tank how long did it set while you were swapping motors or be fore you bought it any are space in the tank creates moisture out of the are always try to park it with a full tank if you aint going to use it for a while

david nissley 09-26-2005 05:18 PM

it has been running for about three months after the swap and the problem just started acting up